• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Never said i wasnt going to shoot at target befor i went after a deer. Just wanted to make sure i wasnt going to have my shotgun blow up in my face when i put a slug down the barrel.

I have taken a couple does with my car in years past. But I have that primal urge to put fresh meat on the table.

Now this got a pretty good laugh out of me. Nothing like the primal urge to walk out the back door and put dinner on the table.

I shoot skeet, trap, 5 stand, and sporting clays for fun and practice. Same goes for punching holes in paper. I find that shooting clays allows me to shoot live birds a lot better. Sames goes for punching paper. The more you practice, the more you know where the gun shoots, how much bullet drop/rise there is at different yardages, what the trigger feels like, what the recoil feels like, etc.

Shooting slugs out of a shotgun is different than shooting shotshells out of a shotgun. You don't just slap the trigger, but have to squeeze it slowly just like shooting a rifle. Your elbows aren't out to the sides like they are when shooting clays, but tucked against the sides of your body.

I am still laughing about "taken a couple does in the past with my car".

If you have never done any hunting at all, best advice I can give you is to find somebody that has and see if they can show you the ropes. If that isn't possible, ask a ton of questions on here, read a ton on here, find other places to read a ton.

Like almost everything in life, the more often you do something, the better you get at it.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    not totally true

from the manual
    •Deer and bear hunters using shotguns must use ammunition that fires a solid, single projectile. Buckshot may not be used to hunt deer except in Dorchester County, where #1 size buckshot or larger may be used. The use of shotguns smaller than 20 gauge for deer and bear hunting is not permitted.

Should have known there is always an exception. Is Dorchester County where you can find sika deer?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I shot offhand at a jug with my Rem 870 field gun which has a 28" barrel and Modified Rem Choke. Advice from others and online research told me it was ok.
    I tried some Rem Sluggers at about 25 yds offhand.
    I tried today at 50 from the bench and got about a 4-5" group.
    I don't think I'd hunt with this setup farther than 30yds without more practice.

Attachments

• sluggeroffhand.jpg
      sluggeroffhand.jpg
      84.4 KB · Views: 86
    • Slugsinjug.jpg
      Slugsinjug.jpg
      62.2 KB · Views: 84

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I shot offhand at a jug with my Rem 870 field gun which has a 28" barrel and Modified Rem Choke. Advice from others and online research told me it was ok.
    I don't think I'd hunt with this setup farther than 30yds without more practice.

I would try a rifled choke if you can swap yours out. My groups were cut in half at 50 yards when I switched from a modified to a rifled choke and Remington Slugsters.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    if you have choke tubes swithch to a IMP and they might tighten up a bit. an open choke or like jim said a rifled choke tube would work great.

alzoom85

Feb 27, 2013
    Thanks for the advice guys, its much appreciated. Hopefully i can find enough time between jobs to go out and get some time in the woods.

Glad to hear some of u got a laugh out of me taking a few does out with my cars; but around here the damn things are suicidal and jump out infront of cars. The first one cost me about a grand after repairs from my dumba$$ hitting the brakes. Learned my lesson and spedup when the second one jumped out. Splattered her allover the side of my jeep.

Now im trying to thin the heard alil to save some one else the coast of car repair.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville

Don't know for sure, but the photo you show of you(?) shooting the 870, you're not holding the forend. I think if I did that with my 870s the forend would come back under recoil and hit my hand. With mine I've found if I hold back on the forend really hard (tight) the gun will 'lock-up" and not release the bolt/slide with the shot until I push forward then back. It seems to help some with accuracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom