• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    Went and did the shooter qual for hunting deer on public lands Sunday. I started with my M3K and a cylinder choke but wasn't able to keep them on the plate @50yrds. I was using Fiocchi 1oz lo recoil slugs. The previous weekend I was shooting bulleyes @25 with the same load and choke. I asked if it would be ok to try a different gun and got the ok. Switched to the A300 with an Imp Cyl and 7/8 oz Fiocchi lo recs and qualified with no problem. I wondered was it the choke or the load or both? The guys running the range didn't seem too curious. I don't blame them. They were there to help qualify people not help me experiment. Anyways I just got my qualification card and left. Is a cylinder choke too open for slugs at 50 yards?

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Went and did the shooter qual for hunting deer on public lands Sunday. I started with my M3K and a cylinder choke but wasn't able to keep them on the plate @50yrds. I was using Fiocchi 1oz lo recoil slugs. The previous weekend I was shooting bulleyes @25 with the same load and choke. I asked if it would be ok to try a different gun and got the ok. Switched to the A300 with an Imp Cyl and 7/8 oz Fiocchi lo recs and qualified with no problem. I wondered was it the choke or the load or both? The guys running the range didn't seem too curious. I don't blame them. They were there to help qualify people not help me experiment. Anyways I just got my qualification card and left. Is a cylinder choke too open for slugs at 50 yards?
    No

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    I didn't think it was either. I guess that leaves either the load or maybe the front site which does cover about half a 9in circle at that range. Or I just shot badly (no wait that couldn't be it) :)

Any other ideas?

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    My experience with smooth bore slugs is that it's a wild crapshoot as far as accuracy is concerned. Some barrell/ slug combos just do not work together.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Yes, smoothbore barrels can vary wildly with different brands, but the same shells should be ok.

My smoothbore mossy 500 slug barrel with Brenneke slugs will hold 4-5" @ 100 yds. That's using a 3x9 scope though. Other types of slugs.......wild of h3ll!!!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Yes, smoothbore barrels can vary wildly with different brands, but the same shells should be ok.

My smoothbore mossy 500 slug barrel with Brenneke slugs will hold 4-5" @ 100 yds. That's using a 3x9 scope though. Other types of slugs.......wild of h3ll!!!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Same setup here,now my old Winchester Ranger doesn't like Brennekes but groups pretty good (minute of deer) with Win. Super X

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    My experience with smooth bore slugs is that it's a wild crapshoot as far as accuracy is concerned. Some barrell/ slug combos just do not work together.

Indeed! Been my experience with Foster and sabot slugs both, in both smoothbore and rifled barrel shotguns.

If I had to single out one class of firearm that really requires some extensive (and oftentimes expensive) experimentation to find a gun and ammo combo that works best in your particular firearm? It would have to be shotguns with slugs.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    I used the Fiocci slugs in my FN and had no problems with accuracy. IC and F chokes worked great with the Fiocci and Remington slugs.

I'm surprised the full choke worked for you. Speaks well for FN. A friend was trying out an H&R shotgun with a full choke and Fiocchi's a few weeks ago and it was shooting a foot and a half to the left @25 yrds. Of course I had to make fun of his lack of shooting skills but when I shot the gun it did the same thing. He ordered an IC for it last week. Hopefully that helps

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    I mean no offense, but why risk it on an unknown?

No offense taken. I wasn't too worried about the qualification. I almost never get to hunt anymore anyway. It was actually cheaper to try out the guns at a qual shoot than to pay for regular range time. Plus like JimBob said "You don't learn new things if you don't try them":D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom