• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StaFrosty

Feb 20, 2011
    Not in MD anymore!!
    Is there a difference between bolt carrier group, say in a Russian, and/or Chinese SKS? I'm asking because the Russian firing pin has the a groove cut in it for the retainer pin. All the firing pins I've seen online and elsewhere don't have the groove for the retainer pin. I'm thinking of buying a firing pin and cut my own groove.

Last edited:

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    all I can say is make sure the pin is the same length and fits the bolt. It should float freely in the bolt otherwise you might have a full auto on your hands if it jams in the fire position

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Where are you getting FP's without a groove? I can't see how you'd be able to drive the FP retaining pin into the bolt, without one....

Mind you, the only SKS variant I am familiar with is the Yugo M59/66.

StaFrosty

Feb 20, 2011
    Not in MD anymore!!
    Where are you getting FP's without a groove? I can't see how you'd be able to drive the FP retaining pin into the bolt, without one....

Mind you, the only SKS variant I am familiar with is the Yugo M59/66.

Exactly, look on gunbroker there's a guy selling SKS pins that show pictures from all sides and and I see no firing pin retainer groove, he lists as having 53 of them. Numrich has none, don't know when they'll get them. Looked all over the internet and nobody has them, unless someone knows of a place I don't know of. There is also one other fella that has 1 listed on gunbroker and he too has a picture and it shows no retainer pin groove. Sooooo what I am hearing is they all have the groove? Or are the pictures that I saw a lie? I'm not shucking my money out for something I can't use.

StaFrosty

Feb 20, 2011
    Not in MD anymore!!
    all I can say is make sure the pin is the same length and fits the bolt. It should float freely in the bolt otherwise you might have a full auto on your hands if it jams in the fire position

Exactly, hence the groove, no springs, works on inertia, heyyyy it was made simple for simple people, not many parts just to kill as fast as possible. I'm repairing one for a farmer near me so I can keep his fields free of deer and he's keeping me in soybeans for the winter to feed the deer. I own one of them rifles but its in the box from the day I bought it, can't put my finger right on it to pull it apart cause I have soo much stuff it'd take me half a day to find it.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    All the ones i have seen look almost the same, and no extra groove, where are you seeing this grooved one?

They should all look like this, except the spring loaded one. which i would avoid.

sks013.jpg

StaFrosty

Feb 20, 2011
    Not in MD anymore!!
    All the ones i have seen look almost the same, and no extra groove, where are you seeing this grooved one?

They should all look like this, except the spring loaded one. which i would avoid.

sks013.jpg

Yes those are the ones I'm talking about, no groove. The one I currently have has the groove machined in the side right above the hump in the piece that sticks out towards the front near the firing pin end. Soo what your telling me is that my current one I removed from this SKS is possibly the wrong one? I just looked at the one I have and it appears that if I purchase and install one like the one pictured it may not function because the firing pin won't strike the primer. The one I have has some strange looking markings on the side. I guess I'll have to take a closer look at the way this bolt works. I'd up load a picture but I'm not that slick yet. Give me something made in the USA by americans and its a different story. Thanks for all the info.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Yes those are the ones I'm talking about, no groove. The one I currently have has the groove machined in the side right above the hump in the piece that sticks out towards the front near the firing pin end. Soo what your telling me is that my current one I removed from this SKS is possibly the wrong one? I just looked at the one I have and it appears that if I purchase and install one like the one pictured it may not function because the firing pin won't strike the primer. The one I have has some strange looking markings on the side. I guess I'll have to take a closer look at the way this bolt works. I'd up load a picture but I'm not that slick yet. Give me something made in the USA by americans and its a different story. Thanks for all the info.

can you post a pic of it? sounds weird, Not sure if someone modified it? On the one i posted, the other side looks like that as well but the hump is offset from where that one is maybe about 1/2 inch. when you put the firing pin in the bolt and are looking to put the retainer pin in, you sometimes have to look through the hole where the retaining pin goes and spin the firing pin to have the top and bottom correct so the retainer pin will go through.

StaFrosty

Feb 20, 2011
    Not in MD anymore!!
    Broke out my SKS, that pin is entirely different but in comparision they function the same. I have come to the conclusion the pins I've found on gunbroker will work. This SKS I'm working on prolly had the original pin in it and its dated 1951, my SKS is dated 1954 and its triangular in shape, not round but the bolts and everything else is the same. Thanks to all for the help/feedback. Boy these things are pure junk.

StaFrosty

Feb 20, 2011
    Not in MD anymore!!
    Thanks for all the input, I re-engineered the old pin, by rolling it over and machining a new retainer pin slot in it, I also made it a tad longer, polished it all up checked all clearances. I fired 3 rounds through it took it back apart and checked everything, it functioned perfectly.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Thanks for all the input, I re-engineered the old pin, by rolling it over and machining a new retainer pin slot in it, I also made it a tad longer, polished it all up checked all clearances. I fired 3 rounds through it took it back apart and checked everything, it functioned perfectly.

:thumbsup:

StaFrosty

Feb 20, 2011
    Not in MD anymore!!
    Pure junk? Wanna sell that junk? Seems like more people complaining about their plastic fantastics than those 70 year old pieces of junk.:D

The one I have looks like it compared to the one I worked on. Yep right on with the plastics, its been years since I've been in a gun shop. Visited a gun shop in Haw river, NC a month ago, thought I was in a toy store looking at the "guns" in the case, soooo much plastic and noooo metal.

Rick3bears

Grumpy Old Coot
    Jul 28, 2012
    Somewhere, MD
    Pure junk? Wanna sell that junk? Seems like more people complaining about their plastic fantastics than those 70 year old pieces of junk.:D

Junk? My SKS has had thousands of rounds put through it under some might rough conditions, including an ungraceful slide/tumble down a muddy hillside, which spooked a deer and offered me a half-way decent shot. She functioned perfectly.
    I'm still enjoying the delicious end result. Mmmmmm.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    StaFrosty, did you take any before/after pictures of your firing pin?

It's difficult to mentally picture what it looked like/what mod you made, just from a verbal description.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri

:lol2:

Yeah, I'll take that junk off your hands for you.

I also would like to see the mods you did on the firing pin, you've got me curious with your description.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom