• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    SKS's w/ removable mags are on the SB281 banned list. As Im whittling down my "must buy before Oct" list I've come to the SKSs. I already have a couple regular SKSs and figured either a D or M would be good to add to the collection. I've read up on the differences. Mostly the D is pre-ban and a regular length SKS 20" barrel, where as the M's were post-ban and came in 'sportsterized', no bayonet, and typically 16" barrels (among other small differences.)

Is there a good reason to chose one over the other? The D's being rarer are a little bit more pricey. But neither are C&R or historically important AFAIK as they were built for import.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    do you want it for shootability or collectability? that's really the only deciding factor. no sense paying extra for collectability if you just want a shooter.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I shoot everything I own. That said, there is a bit of collector in me or I wouldn't be needing a much bigger safe;) I have SKSs, I have AKs, so there is no 'need' for a D or M other than f*** MOM;) I like the D because I like the bayonet and it 'fits in' w/ the others I have. But the M would be unique since I don't have a 16" SKS. The Ms looks to sell on GB for $550-650 w/ the D ballpark $100 more which isn't a huge premium. Both are more than a M&M AK so you almost have to think of them being collectible to pay that much for a non-historical SKS;) Heck you can still buy a PAIR of C&R chinese 56's for that.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I would go for the "D." An SKS without a bayonet is like a man without a..... well, you can guess.
    Well, in defense of the SKS-M, chopping a few inches of barrel and yanking the bayonet goes pretty far to balance out and lighten the rifle.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Haha. I was thinking "did I spell bayonet wrong??"

Well, in defense of the SKS-M, chopping a few inches of barrel and yanking the bayonet goes pretty far to balance out and lighten the rifle.

Hmm. FWIW, Your sig post is why I considered the M (and either SKS variant in general - I had forgotten they were on the named list.) Been looking for a vepr in 54R too;) (though I recently broke down and bought a svt40 even though its not banned.)

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Haha. I was thinking "did I spell bayonet wrong??"

Hmm. FWIW, Your sig post is why I considered the M (and either SKS variant in general - I had forgotten they were on the named list.) Been looking for a vepr in 54R too;) (though I recently broke down and bought a svt40 even though its not banned.)

over on vepr forums they have 1st hand knowledge that the square back is going to be discontinued, what is here now will be it for the square back. There may be some special runs in the future but its not set in stone. Apparently to sell these in Russia and Europe they have to be slant cut, the square back is a special thing just for the US market. I would grab a 23 inch one now, they make awesome svd clones

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    I'd go with the D.

An M to me is pointless in my opinion. At that point you might as well just get an AK since it will practically have the same accuracy but LESS reliability.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    To me, the SKS-M/D are the Mini-14s of the AK world: they serve no real purpose compared to an AK, but people like to be different...

Feb 6, 2012
    To me, the SKS-M/D are the Mini-14s of the AK world: they serve no real purpose compared to an AK, but people like to be different...

:war: How dare you insult the precious!

I actually don't care for the sks and would much rather have a mini 30 or a VZ 58. However, my sks is pretty decent (if the previous owner hadn't been an idiot it would be a great sks) with a good barrel on it.

Feb 28, 2013
    Picked this one up tonight. A Russian one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      35.1 KB · Views: 593

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I'd say "D".

LOL. You get an "F" :lol: (nothing personal, I just thought that sounded too funny to pass up)

Your SKS is very nice but the D/M model we're discussing are the ones that take AK47 mags. You can use a 'duckbill' SKS mag w/ a regular one but they're not the same. I have a pair of soviet 'regular' SKSs too.

See here for pics: (and an EXCELLENT site for SKS info in general.)
    http://www.yooperj.com/SKS-23.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom