• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steviebew

Apr 5, 2013
    So i win a bid on a sks in a folding stock and detachable magazine, i contact the seller and ask him to install the original 10rd box magazine before he shipped it out so i could avoid this 2 year fricken wait we are in. It gets in and my ffl says its regulated because of the folding stock??? What the heck??? Surely if i knew this i just would have bought an ak. I have read the law over and over again and i have no IDEA how they think this... Can someone enlighten me please? Lol

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    It all depends on whether or not it is on the list of MD regulated guns. Some FFL's will interpret things how they choose. The folding stock alone does not make it regulated. For example, the Mini 14 with folding stock is on the list and therefore regulated. The SCAR 17 has a folding stock yet is cash and carry.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    If it takes a detachable AK type mag it is regulated. If your dealer won't sell it as unregulated because of the folding stock then find another dealer.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    SKS with detachable magazine is regulated, if it has a fixed magazine it shouldn't be regardless of the stock.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    SKS with detachable magazine is regulated, if it has a fixed magazine it shouldn't be regardless of the stock.

All the sks mags I have seen were detachable when the rifle was disassembled. It is only the ones that take AK style mags without disassembling the firearm that are on the regulated list.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    All the sks mags I have seen were detachable when the rifle was disassembled. It is only the ones that take AK style mags without disassembling the firearm that are on the regulated list.

Every magazine is detachable on every firearm if you take them apart. The law references detachable magazines as detachable without the use of tools.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Call an FFL in PA and see what they say and send them a picture of it. If they will sell it to a Maryland resident, then transfer it up there and go it with just 4473 and NICS.

If it's an AK type mag you may be screwed because that's a permanent modification due to the mag well, stock, and trigger housing. 90 day wait coming up.

If it's a Tapco style, then have the Maryland FFL throw the mag in the garbage. Go buy a solid/one piece SKS stock and put the rifle in it. You can find a replacement, 10 round, fixed mag on gunbroker.

Presto. Legal in Maryland.

Steviebew

Apr 5, 2013
    Nope no ak mag, factory 10, but its in an ati stock. Some of these ffls dont even seem to take the time to read the law and its very frustrating..

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    You're fine then. Go find a solid stock and you are GTG. Take you 3 minutes to change it out. Choate makes the best fixed stock there is for Chinese SKS rifles.

Or, as another poster said, find a new FFL and be done with it.

jaycee2004

Apr 17, 2009
    Cambridge
    I have a yugo sks that takes the duckbill mags and no need to disassemble to change mags

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom