• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • C-Par

Nov 6, 2011
    Brooklyn, MD
    Well I got one of those $309 Yugo SKS's from wideners a couple months back.
    Been to the range a coupleof times with it an I like it. Well I was never aware of the firing pin issue where you should use milsurp ammo. I've been usin Wolf, Tula and Herterz. About 8 round into a 10 round strip smoke come out the back.

Hmm thats not good. I checked it out and everything looked good. Re charged and fired off the rest. Luckily I put the gun back.

When I got home an started cleaning I noticed the pin was not very free floating. Playing around I got it stuck.

Doing some research man that gun possibly could of done bad things.

Now I will send it out to get that Murrays Mod Pin. That seem like a good fix and I will be back to the range.

Still a great rifle for the price. The pine seems like the week like and that is an easy fix. I just suck with iron sights, mine need adjusting. I need to find a scope mount.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    The Murrays pin mod is just hype. All you need to do is clean it out thoroughly. If you have it cleaned properly there should be no issue.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Clean bolt in a degreasing agent then check if it rattles when shaken. If it doesn't clean more. If it does you're good to go.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Clean bolt in a degreasing agent then check if it rattles when shaken. If it doesn't clean more. If it does you're good to go.

I don't agree... I have tried cleaning cosmo-packed bolts this way, even boiling them in water for a long time - and there's always gunk left in there.

The only way to be sure, is to punch out the retaining pin, remove the firing pin, and clean it and the f.p. channel out thoroughly. A pipe cleaner really helps here.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    I don't agree... I have tried cleaning cosmo-packed bolts this way, even boiling them in water for a long time - and there's always gunk left in there.

The only way to be sure, is to punch out the retaining pin, remove the firing pin, and clean it and the f.p. channel out thoroughly. A pipe cleaner really helps here.

I'll actually add to this.

On mine there was also a very slight burr on the firing pin channel that possibly could have caused the pin to eventually stick and I would have never caught it had I not removed the pin to clean it in the first place.

IMHO, it's worth the effort to take them down all the way when you first get them. At the very least, it's a great learning tool/process.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I clean my cosmoed guns at work. (Auto Mechanic) the stuff I use is real heavy duty. In my limited experience its been enough.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    I clean my cosmoed guns at work. (Auto Mechanic) the stuff I use is real heavy duty. In my limited experience its been enough.

I wrenched for years so I know where you're coming from although the stuff I saw in my last few years of doing it was weak compared to what we had years ago. The only good cleaner I've seen in years is at a buddy's machine shop but if you leave anything in that bath too long it'll turn to dust.

I hope the Corps works out for you Mopar, no matter how fun wrenching is, it eats away at you eventually.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The Murrays pin mod is just hype. All you need to do is clean it out thoroughly. If you have it cleaned properly there should be no issue.

VERY TRUE I have seen 2 SKS's that blew up because these improved firing pins failed (Stuck forward) and the gun fired out of battery.

I'll actually add to this.

On mine there was also a very slight burr on the firing pin channel that possibly could have caused the pin to eventually stick and I would have never caught it had I not removed the pin to clean it in the first place.

IMHO, it's worth the effort to take them down all the way when you first get them. At the very least, it's a great learning tool/process.

I agree, they have to be removed to be cleaned. a Good Polishing of the F.P. helps as well as lapping the firing pin channel.

C-Par

Nov 6, 2011
    Brooklyn, MD
    Thanks guys for the replies.

Guess I will take it apart and inspect, clean and polish.

I guess the video look good, and I wasn't really aware of the hype.

My guess is that the pin went through the primer and I had some back blow.
    Never had anything happen like that so it did make me nervous.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Thanks guys for the replies.

Guess I will take it apart and inspect, clean and polish.

I guess the video look good, and I wasn't really aware of the hype.

My guess is that the pin went through the primer and I had some back blow.
    Never had anything happen like that so it did make me nervous.

That can be bad headspace causing that or too much firing pin protrusion as well.

Winchester_guy87

Mar 2, 2011
    Odenton

i agree.... its just a matter of cleaning the hell out of the pin to keep it from sticking. i have had my SKS for a few years now and have never had a problem with it sticking and causing a double tap.

=GoMango=

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 26, 2012
    Anne Arundel Co.
    The smoke you saw come out the back means your firing pin pierced a primer.
    It happens, no biggie.

What you have to watch out for when that happens is small pieces of brass from the primer can get blown back into the firing pin channel and bind up your firing pin. That sounds like what may have happened in your case.

Easy check/fix by removing the firing pin retaing pin and removing the firing pin.
    Thoroughly clean out the firing pin channel. A Q-tip dipped in solvent or CLP can help.

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    Don't be afraid to break it down the whole way to clean it real good. It isn't too hard.... I had so much fun with my SKS awhile back that I managed to crack the bolt. I bought a stripped bolt and moved everything over including the firing pin from the old to the new bolt and it wasn't hard at all.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The smoke you saw come out the back means your firing pin pierced a primer.
    It happens, no biggie.

What you have to watch out for when that happens is small pieces of brass from the primer can get blown back into the firing pin channel and bind up your firing pin. That sounds like what may have happened in your case.

Easy check/fix by removing the firing pin retaing pin and removing the firing pin.
    Thoroughly clean out the firing pin channel. A Q-tip dipped in solvent or CLP can help.

It is a big deal, its an indicator that theres too much firing pin protrusion, ot the headspace or throat is causing pressure indicators.

An SKS or any firearm can and will blow up and hurt the shooter if they dont heed warning signs of excess pressure or headspace.

=GoMango=

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 26, 2012
    Anne Arundel Co.
    It is a big deal, its an indicator that theres too much firing pin protrusion, ot the headspace or throat is causing pressure indicators.

An SKS or any firearm can and will blow up and hurt the shooter if they dont heed warning signs of excess pressure or headspace.

Easy enough to check/measure.

Cheap Russian ammo can have primer issues . I had a round of x39 Tula ammo recently where about 1/4 of the neck on the case was not even there :sad20:
    Here is some good info on blown out primers along with the specs on firing pin protrusion :

http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=975660&postcount=4

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Easy enough to check/measure.

Cheap Russian ammo can have primer issues . I had a round of x39 Tula ammo recently where about 1/4 of the neck on the case was not even there :sad20:

I didnt say it was hard to measure with the proper gauges and tools. I said it needs to be checked to be safe.

You seemed to indicate it was fine not to check. Thats wrong if you were giving that advice.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I didnt say it was hard to measure with the proper gauges and tools. I said it needs to be checked to be safe.

You seemed to indicate it was fine not to check. Thats wrong if you were giving that advice.

:thumbsup:primer puncture definitely isnt safe and is a big deal...I always worry bout buying old rifles and something going wrong

=GoMango=

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 26, 2012
    Anne Arundel Co.

Sorry never said that :rolleyes:
    So that's wrong :thumbsup:

Markp explains it pretty well in the link i posted.
    I am also not a fan of the Murry spring pin kit.
    I have also noticed this problem comes up a lot in connection with Yugo M59/66 rifles and oversized firing pin holes.

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    Sounds like time for a headspace check and have the bolt inspected. If you aren't a nazi about it being all original, TAPCO makes a decent bolt IIRC.

C-Par

Nov 6, 2011
    Brooklyn, MD
    well I go the rifle and went through about 60 rounds no problem.

This last batch of ammo was sketchy. I always buy the cheap stuff b/c this is a russian gun and I'm just shooting at paper for fun.

I had one puncture primer and one round not go off. The primer was definitely struck, just like all the ones that previously went off.

Well I still need to do step one and got the bolt group a good cleaning. I never really go to do that.

After that I need to look into the head space. Anyone got gages?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom