• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hockeynut

Feb 9, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I found an SKS looks to be in good shape minus the stock and gas tube.

This is cool because I want to put it into a tapco stock.

What do you think this is worth in todays market?
    Thanks!

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    depends on what kind of SKS. chinese, romainian, russian, yugoslavian? does it accept ak mags? I paid 275 for my norinco, the stock was beat up but the action and barrel were perfect. I know I paid too much, but finding SKS's on the eastern shore is like finding a leprachon.

hockeynut

Feb 9, 2009
    Montgomery County
    depends on what kind of SKS. chinese, romainian, russian, yugoslavian? does it accept ak mags? I paid 275 for my norinco, the stock was beat up but the action and barrel were perfect. I know I paid too much, but finding SKS's on the eastern shore is like finding a leprachon.

My bad it's a Yugo.
    I really like the look of a SKS but also like the look of an SKS in a tapco stock. I would hate to take a nice one and not use the original stock.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    I have already ordered a tapco t6 stock, 4 tapco mags, a Ncstar compensator, mount, casing deflector, and 4X scope.

2A forever

Oct 25, 2008
    Sykesville,Carroll Cty.
    SKS = Priceless

It's worth whatever you feel it's worth, come on now , if it wasn't a milsurp steal/deal you would be dropping $800 on an AR platform,... right?

$175-$225 would be fair if in good shape , you could blow a little more if some ammo or accesories was thrown in. Get them now , when the importation ban hits , it will be worth double-triple.

If you have a dremel , I have a free stock for it. Just needs fitted and no metal hardware so you have to have your own cross bolt and spring.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I'd want to know why the gas tube and stock are missing. The Yugos were shot with corrosive ammo and a lot of the ones that were shot out, or the gas block corroded, to the point where the gun wouldn't cycle were turned into parts guns. Not saying this is the case here, of course. Just a general thing to watch out for when buying a Yugo SKS.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    gas tubes might be a little hard to find...check gunshows etc i found one last fall but wasnt really looking after that...i would say around 200-230 at most since theres no gas tube or stock....you can might be able to find some somewhere else that are better....or even at a gun show....big thing right now is ammo...

hockeynut

Feb 9, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I asked him various questions about the SKS. After emailing the gentlemen he said, "the only pitting I can see is about 3" down from gas valve very minor about 1" long that will be covered up by gas tube"

Any cause for concern?

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    gas tubes might be a little hard to find...check gunshows etc i found one last fall but wasnt really looking after that...i would say around 200-230 at most since theres no gas tube or stock....you can might be able to find some somewhere else that are better....or even at a gun show....big thing right now is ammo...

Gas tubes I can find everywhere online from what I have seen. The one part that is keeping me from building one that I literally cannot find anywhere is the gas valve shut-off button that you use to cut off the gas when you want to launch something from the grenade launcher. I have looked at all the major parts channels online and they are all sold out (Numrich, milsurp, gunbroker). If someone could tell me where I could fine one that would be great.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I asked him various questions about the SKS. After emailing the gentlemen he said, "the only pitting I can see is about 3" down from gas valve very minor about 1" long that will be covered up by gas tube"

Any cause for concern?

Pitting is always a concern not to mention that barrel isn't chrome lined. So if it was shot with corrosive ammo it could be really bad.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Gas tubes I can find everywhere online from what I have seen. The one part that is keeping me from building one that I literally cannot find anywhere is the gas valve shut-off button that you use to cut off the gas when you want to launch something from the grenade launcher. I have looked at all the major parts channels online and they are all sold out (Numrich, milsurp, gunbroker). If someone could tell me where I could fine one that would be great.

cncwarrior.com $10 - not oem, but new stainless replacement.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD

Any cause for concern?

That sounds like it is on the outside of the barrel, likely from gases venting from the holes on the gas tube. No cause for concern.

What are they asking for it?$$

hockeynut

Feb 9, 2009
    Montgomery County
    That sounds like it is on the outside of the barrel, likely from gases venting from the holes on the gas tube. No cause for concern.

What are they asking for it?$$

Can it get worse over time? If so how long... many years?

Since I am a noob I am so affraid of buying a POS thus why I come to you guys....:D

Otherwise he said everything seems to be in good shape. No issues with the bolt and trigger. He said he has never shot it but from his opinion everything looks good.

I guess it is a gamble.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Can it get worse over time? If so how long... many years?

Since I am a noob I am so affraid of buying a POS thus why I come to you guys....:D

Otherwise he said everything seems to be in good shape. No issues with the bolt and trigger. He said he has never shot it but from his opinion everything looks good.

I guess it is a gamble.

Every c&r is a gamble to an extent. Keep your rifle clean and it wont pit or rust. Leave it issued to guerrila soldiers in the field and you will have finish problems. If you like the price then buy the dang thing.

I just bought a rough looking romy for $159, it had a tag on it that said "broken", one half of a bent paperclip later it works fine. Its my 4th so called "broken" sks, all are good rifles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom