• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m.ammer69

Jul 3, 2013
    Ok I'm trying to wrap my head around some of the laws in Maryland and what is banned and what isn't. This all started with me trying to expend my historical collection. I was looking into getting an SKS, something old and unique, I was looking into getting one that was really nice; Chinese,a detachable magazine, knife bayonet, beautiful wooden stock. I had mentioned this to a friend and they told me to look into it because they thought it was illegal in MD, I now know that an SKS with detachable mags is illegal, so I thought screw it, might as well just get an AK-47. But looking at the banned firearms list, I noticed AK-47 along with a few other firearms on my wishlist were mentioned on the list (m1 garand,M14, m1 carbine, AR-15) but I noticed people talking on the forums about building and purchasing some of these firearms in Maryland. So I'm kinda confused and need a little clarity.
    So to my knowledge M1 garand, M1 carbine, AK-47, M14 and AR-15's are all legal in this state, it just has to have a 16in barrel, OAL of 29in and no folding stocks (but telescopic is ok). The AK-47, I'm reading that all AK-47 varieties are banned but you can own them as long as it's not chambered in 7.62X39, but you can own the AK pistol in 7.62X39, like I'm really confused on the different things on the AK-47 and the varients. I'm seeing that the AR-15 is on the banned list, but like every shop I know has some sort of AR-15 varieties, but it also seems to talk about those with folding stocks and chambered in 5.56/2.23 as well as .308 win. The M-14, it seems like it's just you can't have one with a folding stock, but then it seems like you can't own one in the 308 or the 223 varients (like the mini-14), but I've only ever seen M14's in 308,223, and 22lr/mag, so that means all M14's are banned. The M1 garand and carbine are legal as long as it doesn't have a folding stock. I'm just more or less trying to make sure what's legal and what is isn't.
    Summary of questions:
    1. The SKS besides the detachable magazine, what else would make the SKS illegal to purchase in MD?
    2. Is the AK-47 banned in Maryland? Or is it just AK'S chambered in 7.62X39?
    3. Are there any other varients of the AK banned in Maryland?
    4. Are AK-47 pistols legal in Maryland?
    5. I saw someone mention with proper paperwork, you can SBR an AK-47 pistol, is that true?
    6. Is there any AR-15 that is banned in Maryland? I know that folding stocks and full auto is banned in Maryland.
    7. Is the M14 (mini-14 & mini-30) legal in Maryland? Is there anything besides a folding stock that would make these illegal to own?
    8. M1 garand are legal in Maryland correct?

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Ok I'm trying to wrap my head around some of the laws in Maryland and what is banned and what isn't.

Good luck, lol.

So to my knowledge M1 garand, M1 carbine, AK-47, M14 and AR-15's are all legal in this state. FALSE

• M1 Garand legal
    • M1 carbine legal
    • Ak-47 in 7.62 banned
    • M14 banned, except for Polytech M14 (Chinese clone)
    • AR-15 in 5.56/.223 banned except for heavy barrel (HBAR)

Summary of questions:
    1. The SKS besides the detachable magazine, what else would make the SKS illegal to purchase in MD?

Legal, with the 10 round fixed mag. I believe it would be illegal to put one in one of the aftermarket folding stocks.
    Fixed or collapsible stock would be ok.

Yes to both. I believe you can purchase variants in .223/5.56, .308, or 5.45x39.

The list of banned rifles is long, I suggest you consult it. Not going to go find it and cut and paste it all here.

Yes. Pistols are treated differently than rifles, pistols must be listed on handgun roster to be sold in MD. The roster can be found on the MSP licensing division page.

5. I saw someone mention with proper paperwork, you can SBR an AK-47 pistol, is that true?

I don't have any experience with this, I'll let someone else answer.

6. Is there any AR-15 that is banned in Maryland? I know that folding stocks and full auto is banned in Maryland.

All chambered in 5.56/.223 are banned, with exceptions made for heavy barrel ARs for historical reasons. Must be marketed or marked on barrel as HBAR. Other calibers do not need to be heavy barrels (300 blackout, for example).

7. Is the M14 (mini-14 & mini-30) legal in Maryland? Is there anything besides a folding stock that would make these illegal to own?

The M14 is banned. There is a Chinese made copy (Polytech/Norinco) which is not banned due to parts not interchanging. The mini-14 and mini-30 are not M14s and are not banned, except the folding stock versions which are listed specifically. In fact, it may just be the mini-14 folder that is listed... I don't recall seeing the mini-30.

Yes

You've been given a lot of wrong info, I suggest you go to the MSP site. The list of banned rifles can be found there, as well as specific models determined not to be copycats and not banned.

2ndatrades

Aug 20, 2020
    Howard County
    You can SBR a AK pistol. Just need to make sure overall length is 29+ inches + pass the feature test. Check Marylands handgun roster to find an approved AK pistol variant. I’m currently waiting on a Form 1 stamp to SBR a WBP mini jack in 7.62x39 (stamp pending since 2/23).

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    m.,
    You have a ton of wrong info there.

Most addressed above. Full autos are federally regulated, you can buy one in md so long as you do the fed paperwork. I don't have any though so won't attempt to get into that.

I think there is an M1A1 out now (M14) in 6.5CM that is md legal.

The laws here are NOT easy to get one's head around as they are written by morons.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Any of the things that would make it a copycat rifle (feature test, OAL test, > 10rd fixed mag).

The MSP are ruling it as the latter (non-7.62x39 AKs are fine). I am not sure I think that's how the law is written, but enjoy it while you can.

The Valmets and original series Galils.

Yes. The pistol will still need to be on the roster for you to buy it.

Yes, BUT if your AK pistol has the same model as a banned rifle, the ATF might (wrongfully) deny it. YMMV.

Non-heavy-barrel AR-15s in 5.56 (and maybe 300 BLK) are banned, as are ARs which fail the copycat tests. Full auto is fine if legally acquired.

Mini-14s without a folding stock are legal. So are Mini-30s. All of them must pass copycat tests.

Correct. This includes Garands converted to take M14 magazines.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The error that really gets MD firearms law noobs in trouble is trying to apply rational thought. There is nothing rational. As accurately mentioned, the laws were written, amended and passed by morons.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    The error that really gets MD firearms law noobs in trouble is trying to apply rational thought. There is nothing rational. As accurately mentioned, the laws were written, amended and passed by morons.
    Learning about anti-gun legislation in Maryland as it happened (and realizing I had almost no ability to do anything about it due to uniparty domination) was a huge wake up call for me. It turned me from a passive observer of politics into becoming locally active, and played a minor part in us leaving the state.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    SKS best left in original configuration and they are fine. For multiple reasons, including altering it arguably removes its C&R status and import conditions.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    That image shows a collapsible/adjustable stock and describes as a folding stock. The collapsible stock that is pictured is not banned feature. If it were an actual folding stock it would be.
    That is true. At least the text is correct. Otherwise seems pretty accurate, I havent seen anything better out there

Bananas79

Apr 11, 2021
    Maybe I am wrong, but while AR15s 5.56 are illegal in MD except with a HBAR barrel, I thought there were two other exceptions

1) An AR15 in 5.56 that is piston instead of DI is legal without having to be HBAR?

2) An AR15 in 5.56 that is SBR’d does not have to be HBAR?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Maybe I am wrong, but while AR15s 5.56 are illegal in MD except with a HBAR barrel, I thought there were two other exceptions

1) An AR15 in 5.56 that is piston instead of DI is legal without having to be HBAR?

Correct. Some will argue #2, but a SBR is not a rifle.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom