• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    When testing reloads, sometimes I load a few rounds into a magazine at one time, but often I like to shoot just one round at a time.

It's easier, when loading one at a time, to just manually insert a cartridge into the chamber and let the bolt close on it, instead of removing the magazine, loading, re-inserting, etc. But is this considered safe practice, with an AR-15?

I've heard that with some firearms (pistols mainly) this is considered unsafe, and I know some .22LR pistols will slamfire if you do this (extractor hits the rim, and bang).

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    It's safest if you have an empty magazine in the mag well. Press the single round down into the mag (like it's the last round in the rifle). That guarantees the cartridge is held at the correct angle to be carried forward by the bolt without any untoward wackiness or surprises.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Only thing I can think of is if you do it, it may jam since the round may not be align the chamber/feeding ramp. It may hit the top of chamber and push the bullet in the case further. My 2 ¢

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    I might be crazy, but can't AR's slamfire doing that? I could have sworn I heard stories... but then we all know about stories and such.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Puts a lot of stress on your extractor

Not really, the extractor is designed to snap over the rim of the case after the round is in the chamber. You may be thinking about controlled round feed as in the pre '64 model 70 winchester and similar designs.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    OP, Single loading is required during the slow fire stages in highpower competition. For the AR, you can use a sled or a single round follower if you choose. You can also use the standard mag. Place the round on top of the mag so that it is resting on the follower and feed lip, I like to just start the bullet into the chamber, then trip the bolt catch. The slam fire thing is mostly a carry over from the Garand and the M1A. I won't say it can't happen with an AR but that is why we do not use primers with soft cups. It is a good habit to always keep the muzzle pointed down range when chambering a round.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Got your PM Lou, I'll call you later this week.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. And I do reload with hard primers (CCI #41's). I hadn't thought about trying to press a round into the magazine, with the magazine in place, that would certainly eliminate any potential issues.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    You would have to have pretty small fingers to press a round into the mag with it in place on an AR. Not sure I would want my fingers in there just incase the bolt slammed forward.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    OP, Single loading is required during the slow fire stages in highpower competition. For the AR, you can use a sled or a single round follower if you choose. You can also use the standard mag. Place the round on top of the mag so that it is resting on the follower and feed lip, I like to just start the bullet into the chamber, then trip the bolt catch. The slam fire thing is mostly a carry over from the Garand and the M1A. I won't say it can't happen with an AR but that is why we do not use primers with soft cups. It is a good habit to always keep the muzzle pointed down range when chambering a round.

Halfcocked, this ^^^ is the preferred method of choice. But just as you stated in a previous post, make damned SURE you are using HARD primers. I didn't want to post the above mentioned method on the forum due to some stupid jackass(s) reading it having the thought that any .223/5.56 ammo will do fine single loading in this manner. HARD PRIMERS ONLY. Ignore the PM's that we did over this issue as it has been posted and resolved here.

straightsilver3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 2, 2011
    everywhere

Thank you I'm glad you said it first At Parris Island in the early 80's That's how we shot at the range in the single shot stages DI's wanted to keep an eye on us Boots

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom