• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    The main difference is that a dual cam bow will "ease off" as you reach full draw. This makes it easier to hold at full draw for an extended period.

Some folks believe that this is an advantage, as it allows you to hold the bow steady at full draw while you prep for the shot.

Others say that this is the wrong idea and that the draw should be one smooth motion and you should not hold the bow at full draw for any amount of time, thus making a dual cam setup useless and indeed harmful by promoting bad habits.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Most all compound bows 'letoff' as you reach full draw. This is the whole reason for a cam, be it single or dual cam bows.

The main advantage to the novice archer is that a single cam bow requires no cam synchronization and a dual cam bow does. The cams both have to be 'timed' to be in exact synch for proper performance and consistency from a dual cam bow.

I have shot both, you can't tell the difference, all other things equal. Pick a bow that fits you and feels good to you when you shoot it and don't worry too much about the cam configuration. ;)

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    If you ever watch a pro archer shooting a compound bow, you will see most of them hold at full draw for a very long time. Not much different then having to draw as the buck's head passes behind a tree, so he wont see you draw.. then he hangs.. and hangs.. and hangs... I can be a couple of mins before he presents a chest shot.

When shooting competition, I probably hold at full draw for 20-30 seconds before I think about releasing the arrow. Time to settle in, get everything right, get the pin to quit moving around, gather your breathing and then, if it feels right, start the release tension. If not, let down and start over again... LOL

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Most all compound bows 'letoff' as you reach full draw. This is the whole reason for a cam, be it single or dual cam bows.

The main advantage to the novice archer is that a single cam bow requires no cam synchronization and a dual cam bow does. The cams both have to be 'timed' to be in exact synch for proper performance and consistency from a dual cam bow.

I have shot both, you can't tell the difference, all other things equal. Pick a bow that fits you and feels good to you when you shoot it and don't worry too much about the cam configuration. ;)

What he said.

Twanger

DINO and NRA Life
    Mar 4, 2013
    Poolesville
    Single-cam is simpler and easier to tune. Cam's can't get out of sync with each other when there's only one.

Dual cam has flatter nock travel during the shot, which can translate into better shooting, particularly with broadheads.

Feb 25, 2013
    Good information, and thank you for your responses. I have been shooting some bows of late and can corroborate the comment mentioned that I couldn't feel the difference between configs. So far, a bear, two PSE's, and a Quest. I'll be testing an old Bow tech in a day or two. The search goes on!

Thanks again.

BRONZ

Big Brother is Watching
    Jan 21, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    Most competition bows are single cam.

I like single cams as the wall os juat that a wall. I have seen people draw past their draw length with dual cams.

I have to try the Mathews No Cam. Supposed to be the ultimate.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Most competition bows are single cam.

I like single cams as the wall os juat that a wall. I have seen people draw past their draw length with dual cams.

I have to try the Mathews No Cam. Supposed to be the ultimate.

I like a pretty solid wall too. A squishy wall is likened to a slow lock time on a rifle, it gives recoil more time to affect the shot/follow through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom