• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    I purchased a Stevens Favorite and took it to the range today. https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1248x936q90/191/kceh.jpg
    Loaded my first round and as I closed the breach was shocked to have the round explode and spray debris into my face and left arm. The whole rear of the cartridge was gone.
    https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/702x936q90/546/hoed.jpg
    https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/702x936q90/196/awz3.jpg https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/702x936q90/585/95sf.jpg
    Luckily I had on long sleeves and was wearing shooting glasses so no injury other than the sting.
    I put the Favorite away (after making sure that it wasn't.22 Short only) and shot my other guns.
    When I got home, I took it down and cleaned it thoroughly- thinking that perhaps I had tried to push the cartridge into a very dirty chamber.
    I loaded a couple of spent cases to see how easily they chambered and extracted and as I did so I realized what had probably happened-the clue is in the shape of the destroyed case. The piece of case that was in the extractor groove area is pushed into a shape that will fit the groove. It is very easy to load the round in front of the extractor, and as I closed the breach the extractor was pushed against the rim/primer area and it fired.
    I feel a little better about this neat little rifle, but will still be a little uneasy the next time it goes to the range with me.:o
    My lesson is that I should learn the the manual of arms for a new firearm and not assume that I have enough knowledge to operate it because it is "simple"
    DocAitch

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    That is more than a bit scary. I'd be pretty wary of any gun that made it easy to mis-position the cartridge in such a way that it would cause the round to go off upon closing the action before the action is safely shut. That seems like another accident waiting to happen. What if it was closer to your face when that happened? At least in my view, it should not be "easy" to do something like this.

Be thankful nothing worse happened.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Glad you are alright. I always have a bit of trepidation every time I put the first round down a new gun. You have no idea what to expect.

The worst was the AK 74. Having been new to Russian design at the time, I chambered, manually cycled, chambered again, checked again, then fired. Using the surplus ammo didn't help, knowing where it was made etc.

Also, another glaring advertisement for shooting glasses. You NEVER know what will happen.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    I agree on the design criticism. This is an older rifle, not one of the new Mod 30s, so I don't know if this is a modern problem. I had purchased the Favorite to teach my grandchildren to shoot but I am rethinking this.
    I actually did receive an injury. When I undressed for bed I noticed blood on the sleeve of my T shirt. When I checked I had a 1/2 " gouge over my left deltoid. I didn't find a hole in my flannel shirt or T shirt so I'm no sure how it occurred. I am lucky it was a tangential hit and not a full on hit in the hand, face or neck. I presume that the geometry of the falling block diverted what I think was the base of the case.
    DocAitch

Last edited:

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    Maybe the extractor was stuck in the contracted position. Does the extractor flex in and out easily? If it were mine, I'd just get rid of it. When the day comes that your kids/grandchildren inherit your guns, it might happen to them

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    I found a source for a new extractor -Wisner's, will have to check for proper model (I think this in a 1915) before I order.
    I also have a new firing pin on the way.
    I found that the extractor returns to battery when the lever is raised partially but this is a little iffy- it pops out easily.
    I am going to have to examine the innards when the parts are together.
    I agree with the no children on this, they will have to make do with the other 22s in the collection.
    DocAitch

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    I would take it to a competent 'smith and have them look it over.

It's a safety issue - that means time to call in a pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom