• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clarksvilleal

Jul 28, 2019
    Well, I took the plunge and registered with KR Training for Karl's upcoming Advanced Handgun class on June 11 at the FPF Training Range in Culpeper. I didn't know if I'd be accepted since I'm a relative novice; Karl recommends the class mainly for "shooters at the USPSA B-C class level, or IDPA Sharpshooter/Expert level that want to identify what to change in their techniques, goals and practice plans." I did list in the "Previously Completed Courses" section of the application both my MD Wear & Carry class and the two NRA Defensive Handgun classes (both Inside the Home and Outside the Home) that I took late last year, so I guess that qualified me well enough.
    I'm pretty pumped about it :bannana:. I expect it to be both very educational, and very intense. The class description notes that you need to bring a minimum of 500 rounds of ammo. So 500 rounds in one 8 hour day :gun3:! As a (very active) seasoned citizen I'm really looking forward to the challenge it will present me. Will be practicing regularly between now and June in preparation. I'm currently using Mike Seeklander's Defensive Handgun Training Program book and drills, as well as attending monthly MRPC "Steel Challenge" events at the AGC range led by my buddy and firearms instructor/mentor Kirby Bowling. Did my first Steel Challenge shoot last month; I did OK, I think, for the first steel shooting and first ever shooting from a holster event.

BTW, there were still plenty of slots left in the Karl Rehn class when I signed up yesterday, for anyone who is interested. The price is quite reasonable, IMO - $230.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Well, I took the plunge and registered with KR Training for Karl's upcoming Advanced Handgun class on June 11 at the FPF Training Range in Culpeper. I didn't know if I'd be accepted since I'm a relative novice; Karl recommends the class mainly for "shooters at the USPSA B-C class level, or IDPA Sharpshooter/Expert level that want to identify what to change in their techniques, goals and practice plans." I did list in the "Previously Completed Courses" section of the application both my MD Wear & Carry class and the two NRA Defensive Handgun classes (both Inside the Home and Outside the Home) that I took late last year, so I guess that qualified me well enough.
    I'm pretty pumped about it :bannana:. I expect it to be both very educational, and very intense. The class description notes that you need to bring a minimum of 500 rounds of ammo. So 500 rounds in one 8 hour day :gun3:! As a (very active) seasoned citizen I'm really looking forward to the challenge it will present me. Will be practicing regularly between now and June in preparation. I'm currently using Mike Seeklander's Defensive Handgun Training Program book and drills, as well as attending monthly MRPC "Steel Challenge" events at the AGC range led by my buddy and firearms instructor/mentor Kirby Bowling. Did my first Steel Challenge shoot last month; I did OK, I think, for the first steel shooting and first ever shooting from a holster event.

BTW, there were still plenty of slots left in the Karl Rehn class when I signed up yesterday, for anyone who is interested. The price is quite reasonable, IMO - $230.
    I'll be there for the force on force class before the advanced handgun. If you really want to have fun, get in on that too. Hogarth tipped me off about it.

clarksvilleal

Jul 28, 2019
    I'll be there for the force on force class before the advanced handgun. If you really want to have fun, get in on that too. Hogarth tipped me off about it.
    Sounds like fun, but I don't think I'm ready for that yet. Maybe next year if they do it again.

Oh, and I have neither any of the protective gear nor a suitable training weapon that would be needed for the FOF class.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Sounds like fun, but I don't think I'm ready for that yet. Maybe next year if they do it again.

Oh, and I have neither any of the protective gear nor a suitable training weapon that would be needed for the FOF class.
    You don't need to bring any of that stuff. Email or call Karl. Seriously. I asked what I needed to bring (I have sim kits for my mp5 and a pistol or two) and he told me it is going to be airsoft and that he can provide all the required stuff. I have a GBB glock so I will pack it along with a paintball mask just for insurance but he supposedly has it covered.

I signed up as soon as hogarth told me about it (later last year). People talk about "being ready" to do force on force. You never will be until you do. And you will never be ready for whatever gets thrown at you even if you have been in them before. I've done SIM before and it's a great tool but it's expensive and someone always ends up getting medical. The newer airsoft guns are getting really good. A coworker and I were using them last week against each other and they hurt enough for you to get the idea.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    You don't need to bring any of that stuff. Email or call Karl. Seriously. I asked what I needed to bring (I have sim kits for my mp5 and a pistol or two) and he told me it is going to be airsoft and that he can provide all the required stuff. I have a GBB glock so I will pack it along with a paintball mask just for insurance but he supposedly has it covered.

I signed up as soon as hogarth told me about it (later last year). People talk about "being ready" to do force on force. You never will be until you do. And you will never be ready for whatever gets thrown at you even if you have been in them before. I've done SIM before and it's a great tool but it's expensive and someone always ends up getting medical. The newer airsoft guns are getting really good. A coworker and I were using them last week against each other and they hurt enough for you to get the idea.
    I thought this was SIMS. I miss the welts. Big difference.
    Getting pelted with little plastic bbs is much different.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Well, I took the plunge and registered with KR Training for Karl's upcoming Advanced Handgun class on June 11 at the FPF Training Range in Culpeper. I didn't know if I'd be accepted since I'm a relative novice; Karl recommends the class mainly for "shooters at the USPSA B-C class level, or IDPA Sharpshooter/Expert level that want to identify what to change in their techniques, goals and practice plans."
    I'm gonna be there, too. Best advice is to try to ignore everyone else's pace. You are where you are, other people are where they are. Do what Karl says.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I thought this was SIMS. I miss the welts. Big difference.
    Getting pelted with little plastic bbs is much different.
    From what I was told he can do the course either way but this will be airsoft. The range isn't his (he's from texas) and while I didn't ask, I suspect that it has to do with the facility. Email him and ask. I could be wrong.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009

I would never describe Karl Rehn as "intense". He's a nice guy and a very good teacher. He'll meet you wherever your skills are. Can't really get left behind in this course. The "Advanced" title isn't anything to be scared of in this case.

I shot 363 rounds when I did this class in 2019. But it was an insanely hot and humid day
    He shut us down before we shot the last few drills because a few students looked like they were about to pass out.

I have written a fairly extensive review of the class on my (free) blog. PM me for link (since some here seem to hate that I have a blog that provides free information).

Edit: I posted it back when I took the course:

Last edited:

clarksvilleal

Jul 28, 2019
    I'm gonna be there, too. Best advice is to try to ignore everyone else's pace. You are where you are, other people are where they are. Do what Karl says.
    I just got a text that Karl Rehn has cancelled the June 11 Advanced Shooting class in Culpeper. Bummer. I was really looking forward to it.

Don't know if he has also cancelled the other classes scheduled for the same weekend.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I just got a text that Karl Rehn has cancelled the June 11 Advanced Shooting class in Culpeper. Bummer. I was really looking forward to it.

Don't know if he has also cancelled the other classes scheduled for the same weekend.
    Yeah, I got it, too. Pretty good chance they're all cancelled based on the description of why he cancelled. Sucks.

ETA: if there are still Sunday slots open, I may sign up for the MD State USPSA match.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Yeah, I got it, too. Pretty good chance they're all cancelled based on the description of why he cancelled. Sucks.

ETA: if there are still Sunday slots open, I may sign up for the MD State USPSA match.
    They are all cancelled. I was in the instructor force on force class and it is toast along with the student course where we play the bad guys.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    They are all cancelled. I was in the instructor force on force class and it is toast along with the student course where we play the bad guys.
    I'm pretty worried that Greg Ellifritz's ECQC class is gonna get cancelled based on some remarks he made on FB earlier.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Yep. Just got the email. Kinda pissed because I talked up the course(s) a bit here, and you'd think with so many W&C now issued in MD that people would be more interested in force on force. It seems they are until it's not RIGHT in their backyard or costs more than $100. Oh well.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Yep. Just got the email. Kinda pissed because I talked up the course(s) a bit here, and you'd think with so many W&C now issued in MD that people would be more interested in force on force. It seems they are until it's not RIGHT in their backyard or costs more than $100. Oh well.
    I'll travel within reason for the right material and instructor. One of my coworkers was in with me. Just hit him to say it's off.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Numbers. Albeit I suspect the host could do a little more to improve those numbers. I think John being retired and on the road 95% of the year has cut into his marketing time.
    Thanks. Was wondering because there's been some "stuff" going on with Murphy, apparently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom