• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • venomcannon13

May 25, 2011
    Bel Air, MD
    Hey folks,
    I just picked up my new DDM4V5, my first AR. I got it with an Aimpoint PRO because the optic was on sale by serendipity when I did the initial paperwork for the V5 :lol: . However, the V5 came without iron sights. I have also been reading about 1/3 vs. absolute CoW, and am unsure how to proceed. Should I leave the PRO on, and line up the sights with it, or take the PRO off, get the sights I want, then remount the PRO and line it up with the iron sights? This is what I am leaning towards.
    Second, the seller recommended PMC and Federal as the best ammo choices. Any opinions? He says these performed a little better and burned a little cleaner. He also stated NEVER use frangible, ever. He likened it to shooting sandpaper down the barrel. I would like to stick with 5.56, which is the chambering, but it seems harder to come by than .223, and more expensive.
    Looking for wisdom from those with the experience and the know.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Personally, I sight-in my RDS (red dot sight) and then line my irons up with that, other's do it vice-versa - it's all personal preference.

Ammo selection - it's been awhile since I ran factory ammo, I reload 5.56/.223, but PMC has been pretty good the last few times I shot it. I've never played with frangible in an AR, so I can't comment on that.

You can run standard .223 all day long, true 5.56 is a bit higher in price, and as you've seen - tougher to find. .223 will perform just fine, my AR is 5.56 NATO chamber, there's no problem running standard ammo thru it.

mdvctry

Follow Me @DukesDefense
    Nov 10, 2011
    I have two DDM4v5's. I put Magpul sights on one and Troy sights on the other. Both co-witness in the bottom 1/3 of the optics. Both sights are fine, and accurate. I prefer the Troy only because they seem to be better built. But wrt accuracy they are the same. Ease of use wrt putting the sights up and down, Magpul is better. For practice ammo, use whatever is less expensive. There's no problem shooting either .223 or 5.56. Have fun, it's an awesome rifle. You'll be able to 10's of thousands of rounds through it. Keep the bolt lubed, dont get the barrel too hot and accuracy will stay spot on.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    M4 is just the standard style, HK is a diff't style - they both operate more or less the same - they just look diff't.

Gas-block mount is a front sight that's mounted onto a railed gas-block - they're labelled because they're typically taller than a standard flip-up to make up the difference between the gas-block height and the upper receiver rail's height.

If you have a railed handguard - you want a 'same-plane' set of buis, if you don't have a railed handguard but have a railed gas-block - you'd want a gas-block mounted flip-up.

venomcannon13

May 25, 2011
    Bel Air, MD
    my new DDM4V5

So I need the non-gas block sites then. I am thinking Troy folders. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 2012-07-06_06-49-10_495.jpg
      2012-07-06_06-49-10_495.jpg
      84.9 KB · Views: 807

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Yep, you need same-plane height BUIS's then.

Whatever strikes you, and whatever you feel like spending - everyone seems to have their own preference with BUIS it seems.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I have a Vortex Sparc with Magpul BUIS on a DDM4V7. I sighted in with the red dot and then cowitnessed the BUIS. It seems like people have different methods but I used a basic scientific method- measure with your most accurate instrument, then base all other measurments off of that. So for me, I am much more accurate with a red dot, so that is what I sight in with. After that I just make sure the BUIS aligns correctly with the dot. I figure I will almost always use the red dot for aiming so for me the BUIS are basically irrelevant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom