• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Buy whatever you find that is cheapest. The Winchester Supremes are usually very accurate but terrible expensive. Also the CMP sells military ammo fairly cheap and is pretty accurate. That might be a good option if you know someone who is a member.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    For sighting in just pull the bolt and look down the bore at something a few hundred yards away and adjust scope or sights accordingly. Fine tune with ammo of your choosing.

Rem700fan

Ammo Disposal Expert
    Jul 11, 2012
    Eastern Panhandle, WV
    Buy a couple of different brands/bullet types and see what your gun likes/groups best with. Then go buy more of what is most accurate in your gun. i would stick to bullets between 150 & 180 grain, most likely a boattail design.

CLP

Dec 18, 2012
    Try some 150gr m2 ball. X ring in newark has been selling it 15 a box ive been putting it through my 700. I had 6 shots in a 2inch group at 100yds this past weekend.

CLP

Dec 18, 2012
    I just purchased a Rem 770 30-06 and was wondering what is a good round to sight this thing in. This is my first high power rifle, your input would be greatly appreciated

Were you by chance at the elk neck range on saturday?

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I have a Ruger M77 in 30-06. I adjust the impact from 1.7 to 1.8 inches high at 100 yards with good 150 and 165 grain ammunition. This will give a usable point blank range for big game out to about 225-250 yards. Using Remington CoreLokt ammo in 150 and 165 grain soft point loads both shoot to virtually the same POI at 100 yards and into an inch off the bags.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It sight it in, any factory ammunition will work.

Then try various loads to see what works best. Although these days, it is more of shoot what you can find.

BTW 2 inches at 100 yards is pretty poor performance out of bolt action rifle. 1 inch MAXIMUM is what I would expect.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    That's cool. I was clarifying. I would expect the same from a good bolt or some semi autos, even good single shot pistols. But a lever gun and some semi autos don't typically give 1" precision at 100 yards. I had a Remington 7mm Rem Magnum that would shoot around 3/4 to 7/8" precision with a couple of developed handloads but hovered around the 1 1/8 to 1 1/4" with nonpremium factory loads. BUT it shot all loads very consistantly. That standard of 1" precision wasn't a detriment since it shot close to that consistantly if I were to need to shoot factory ammo. I was very confident with that rifle shooting any of those loads because I knew how it would shoot.

1/4" larger groups @ 100 yards would be 1 inch at 400 yards, still inside a deer's vital zone. The gun and load then wouldn't be the limiting factor at that range. It would be the shooter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom