• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Nice work, you even got a shot of your feet in the pic. Good luck on the hunt. I am headed to the Hill country of Texas next week for 4 days of hog hunting.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    That's not bad at all for the Federal, it's been a consistent performer in my Savage as well.

Even more so considering the price per box.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    It looks like you did a pretty good job getting it dialed in. I'm not surprised the Fusion shot better out of your gun. Everything I've read about it was positive. Also you might want to put a defined bulls eye on those plates to be certain your aiming point is constant.

Will do - Thanks!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I like the sighting in targets with the grid to get started. The diamond aiming point is very easy to line up with the scope reticle.

Or if you want to make your own, a HEAVY square aiming point also works well.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Depending on where in the country you are, hogs are not just a nuisance but an invasive species.

There are people that will pay you to kill as many as you can.

If you've got family that are or know farmers like I do, you can do a lot of hunting.

I've found that they tend to cluster, so be ready to take as many as you can when they come out in the open. 7.62x39 tends to be my round of choice for areas with limited sight. For longer ranges like open fields, the classic hunting rounds work great, but frankly can be a bit expensive.

Just for the record, medium hogs will fall to .40 S&W ball ammunition fired out of a pistol caliber carbine. I have a ruger police carbine that has accounted for a good few.

If I could afford it I would do all my hunting with 6.8

It does the job GREAT, it's just more expensive than the scoped SKS to shoot.

Man, you can really really reach out with that cartridge.

A good scope on a 6.8 upper and you've got a gun that will keep you safe up close and accurately put rounds where they need to be hundreds and hundreds of yards away.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Depending on where in the country you are, hogs are not just a nuisance but an invasive species.

There are people that will pay you to kill as many as you can.

If you've got family that are or know farmers like I do, you can do a lot of hunting.

I've found that they tend to cluster, so be ready to take as many as you can when they come out in the open. 7.62x39 tends to be my round of choice for areas with limited sight. For longer ranges like open fields, the classic hunting rounds work great, but frankly can be a bit expensive.

Just for the record, medium hogs will fall to .40 S&W ball ammunition fired out of a pistol caliber carbine. I have a ruger police carbine that has accounted for a good few.

If I could afford it I would do all my hunting with 6.8

It does the job GREAT, it's just more expensive than the scoped SKS to shoot.

Man, you can really really reach out with that cartridge.

A good scope on a 6.8 upper and you've got a gun that will keep you safe up close and accurately put rounds where they need to be hundreds and hundreds of yards away.
    You can load 6.8 for around .40 a round maybe less if you really shop around.

DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    Originally Posted by rseymorejr View Post
    The screws really should be torqued, but I'm not sure if anyone actually does it

I do too. I torqued the base and ring screws. And, I regularly check the torque on the action screws, which tend to loosen after a while. Should I be using one of the Loctite's on the action screws too?

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Try these targets, when sighting in.
    These print on 8-1/2 x 11" paper and I've found they work a LOT better than a blank paper plate.

First target has 1/4" grids. The second target has 1/2" grids.

Attachments

• Quarter Inch Grid v1.pdf
      6.1 KB · Views: 78
    • half inch grid v2.pdf
      5.7 KB · Views: 76

bman940

Bart, Nikon Pro Staff
    Oct 11, 2010
    North Texas
    Great job and nice pics. I also like an exact point of aim when sighting in which is why I try to use grid targets too. I think trying some heavier projectiles might also increase your accuracy but right now you definitely have Minute Of Pig! Have fun and I also look forward to your pics! Hopefully you'll have some moonlight to hunt by to, I have harvested a number of hogs using my Nikon MONARCH glass and just moonlight shooting almost 100 yards.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    These print on 8-1/2 x 11" paper and I've found they work a LOT better than a blank paper plate.

I like those targets too. You can stick a target dot or use a magic marker to put another bullseye in each quadrant, too, for 5 targets on each page.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I like those targets too. You can stick a target dot or use a magic marker to put another bullseye in each quadrant, too, for 5 targets on each page.

Thanks.

IF memory serves me, I THINK I created one of these targets on 11 x 17" paper, too.

:shrug: I don't have access to that computer right now, or I'd check. :shrug:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I do too. I torqued the base and ring screws. And, I regularly check the torque on the action screws, which tend to loosen after a while. Should I be using one of the Loctite's on the action screws too?

I use Loctite blue on the ring screws (clamping the scope).

I do not use it on the ring to base screws or the action screws.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore

Much better than the paper plate and sharpie circle! :D Thanks!

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I use Loctite blue on the ring screws (clamping the scope).

I do not use it on the ring to base screws or the action screws.

Agree with Pinecone. I like the Loctite in the lipstick tubes. It is not liquid, less mess than the liquid, and won't leak in your range bag.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Got back late Monday (in the snow "event") - here's a couple of pics. Daughter got this on a "Spot and Stalk" and had the patience of Job as we were tracking in the woods for just over 3 hours before she could get a good, clean shot. The most impressive part of the trip was that she passed on a VERY large sow and a large boar because she did not have a good shot the evening before while in a stand. Very proud of her discipline and focus for 10 years old.

She used the "House Gun" - a Bob Hart custom rifle in 7mm-08 built for the young hunter in mind.

The last pics is her with the guide - Ronnie Miller. She and Ronnie became great buds as she reminded him of his daughter when she first went hog hunting.

She took the shot in pine woods at about 40 yards. 1 shot between the eyes. She is getting it processed in all sausage except for a few chops, per her request, and getting the hide tanned to hang in her room.

A great Daughter/Daddy weekend!

Attachments

• IMG_2330.jpg
      IMG_2330.jpg
      146.2 KB · Views: 86
    • IMG_2342.jpg
      IMG_2342.jpg
      95.2 KB · Views: 84
    • IMG_2377.jpg
      IMG_2377.jpg
      143.3 KB · Views: 82

Users who are viewing this thread