• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nicholas A.

Feb 23, 2013
    Montgomery county
    I had just picked up my Sig Sauer P238 with the sig laser attachment yesterday and took it down to the range to give it a test shoot. The only problem I have found is the laser cuts off after each shot. I've contacted Sig Sauer about this and they will be sending me a replacement laser once they get my old one. My question is after reading some reviews online about the laser others have said it is hit or miss on getting a functional laser, in that sometimes the issue is fixed with a new one and other times they end up having to get 2 or sometimes 3 replacements. Should I stay with the sig laser or should I move over to Crimson trace for the fix if this problem continues? I only ask because having something stop working after one shot can be a serious issue

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Why add bulk to that small of a .380, I bought mine because it is smaller and lighter than my PPKS & BDA. It is a point shoot weapon, if need more range carry a 1911.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    P238 is a good pistol, but usefulness is not increased by a laser as IMO lethal accuracy shouldn't be expected from it outside of 20-25 feet.

Yes, it CAN be good longer than that, but you have a pocket pistol for a reason. Practice for that reason, and that means being closer in.

Nicholas A.

Feb 23, 2013
    Montgomery county
    I have been practicing without the laser, I picked this up mainly because I wanted a good pocket pistol and secondly as a back up. Did I look for one with a laser on it not at all, it was something that was with the gun and because I paid for it I want all aspects to work to their fullest extent. I know I need a lot more practice with it mostly to overcome my tenancy to fire slightly lower then what I'm aiming at. I would like to have the feature to augment my training and to help slightly.

Ender

Jan 9, 2011
    A lot of people tend to shoot worse with a laser, especially newer shooters. The reason being that it complicates your sight picture. Your hands will always shake a little so now you have your front and rear sights that you are focusing on, in addition to this little dot bouncing around on the target. It makes you try to force your trigger squeeze when the dot is on target instead of using the sights and proper fundamentals; you end up jerking the trigger.

The main benefit of a laser is being able to point your gun at a target without having to look through the sights, so you can get rounds on target before you have the gun up to your eyes. Let me give you an example, in the Marines we used IR lasers on our rifles that can only be seen with night vision. For the most part we don't look through the sights because it would be slow and awkward with night vision goggles on, we shoulder the rifle, put the IR dot on the target, then shoot. To actually use a laser to become a better shot you should look at laser bore sights. They usually sit in the barrel and some of them only turn on for a second when you pull the trigger. It allows you to dry fire and see if the point of impact is moving when you pull the trigger. Most accuracy issues with handguns come from trigger control and most shooters don't realize how bad they are doing it.

Shooters with good fundamentals can probably use a laser to speed up target acquisition, especially in low light. But then you would probably need a flashlight to properly ID the target anyway. I guess putting a laser on someone could also scare them away. This is my opinion and I personally hate visible lasers on guns.

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland
    so, setting aside the laser bashing, and getting back to your original question, I've heard very good reviews on crimson trace lasers for reliability and accuracy.

There could very well be situations, with a backup, in which you could be forced to engage a target while off axis and not properly indexed.
    And, as you said, you paid for it.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    A lot of people tend to shoot worse with a laser, especially newer shooters. The reason being that it complicates your sight picture. Your hands will always shake a little so now you have your front and rear sights that you are focusing on, in addition to this little dot bouncing around on the target. It makes you try to force your trigger squeeze when the dot is on target instead of using the sights and proper fundamentals; you end up jerking the trigger.

The main benefit of a laser is being able to point your gun at a target without having to look through the sights, so you can get rounds on target before you have the gun up to your eyes. Let me give you an example, in the Marines we used IR lasers on our rifles that can only be seen with night vision. For the most part we don't look through the sights because it would be slow and awkward with night vision goggles on, we shoulder the rifle, put the IR dot on the target, then shoot. To actually use a laser to become a better shot you should look at laser bore sights. They usually sit in the barrel and some of them only turn on for a second when you pull the trigger. It allows you to dry fire and see if the point of impact is moving when you pull the trigger. Most accuracy issues with handguns come from trigger control and most shooters don't realize how bad they are doing it.

Shooters with good fundamentals can probably use a laser to speed up target acquisition, especially in low light. But then you would probably need a flashlight to properly ID the target anyway. I guess putting a laser on someone could also scare them away. This is my opinion and I personally hate visible lasers on guns.

Perfect right here. :thumbsup:

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    so, setting aside the laser bashing, and getting back to your original question, I've heard very good reviews on crimson trace lasers for reliability and accuracy.

There could very well be situations, with a backup, in which you could be forced to engage a target while off axis and not properly indexed.
    And, as you said, you paid for it.

Ditto, also, don't believe all the internet Einsteins about Sig Lasers, either.

Nicholas A.

Feb 23, 2013
    Montgomery county
    Thank you for answering my question Scottysan. While I appreciate the advice from everyone else I asked a question on which is better and listed the concern that I had with the SIG laser. I personally would rather have something that works when I need it to and set up for my set of needs. I was practicing with the laser off for most of the time because I wont allow myself to rely on it because anything with a battery can and probably will fail when you need it most. However when I decided to turn it on and see where it was hitting vs. where I was hitting I noticed the malfunction and made the call to Sig for the replacement and came here asking for opinions between the Sig laser and Crimson Trace laser or if there was a third laser company that people could suggest.

Cyra

Mrs. Glaron
    Feb 4, 2014
    I love my P238. I have a tribal edition. For some folks it may be considered a "pocket gun" but for me, I have small hands and it fits great and feel right when I shoot.

Best purchase my husband has made for me....minus jewelry of course!:)

And I just use gun sight on the pistol.

brentb636

Nov 16, 2013
    Holland, Mi
    There is a saying " In a fight, Front sight ". Basically , in a SD situation , getting front and rear sights aligned may get you killed. That's why on my carry guns I either have XS Big Dot front sights or large rod Fiber Optic front sights, and practice putting that big sight on target fast. Those big sights aren't for bullseye accuracy, but for fast sight acquisition.

Brent

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom