• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I have an AR15 with currently a Vortex Viper PST Gen2 1x6 on it. I feel like I would prefer to just have a red dot instead. The 2 I am considering are the Sig Romeo5 and the Holosun403. The Holosun is a bit more in cost but not enough to make a difference. Both are under $200. I am not sure if there is another comparable choice in that price range or close. Tell me if I am wrong. I do have a Romeo5 on my PC9 and CX4 storm and have been happy with them. I have a Holosun407 on one of my pistols and like it. Can I get some feedback on this? Is one of these a clear winning or is it just a preference?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Man, I wish you could stretch it to $300 and buy a Holosun 510C or an AEMS Core. To me, that's the obvious winner in this kind of contest.

Romeo5 vs 403C, I think the 403C is the better choice.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    Man, I wish you could stretch it to $300 and buy a Holosun 510C or an AEMS Core. To me, that's the obvious winner in this kind of contest.

Romeo5 vs 403C, I think the 403C is the better choice.
    I would stretch to $300 if I was convinced it was worth it. I am not familiar with the reflex sights like the 510 and AMES. Please tell me what makes them a clear winner over the others.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I would stretch to $300 if I was convinced it was worth it. I am not familiar with the reflex sights like the 510 and AMES. Please tell me what makes them a clear winner over the others.
    Huge windows with great unobstructed sight pictures. 510C also has a circle dot reticle. AEMS is tough as nails and better with NV, if that's a thing you ever want to get into.

I find Micro-style optics to be a little too busy in terms of what's going around on the edges. They're plenty usable - and I use a bunch - but for speed, big window optics are king.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    Huge windows with great unobstructed sight pictures. 510C also has a circle dot reticle. AEMS is tough as nails and better with NV, if that's a thing you ever want to get into.

I find Micro-style optics to be a little too busy in terms of what's going around on the edges. They're plenty usable - and I use a bunch - but for speed, big window optics are king.
    What are your thoughts on red dot vs green dot?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I prefer green, BUT red is entirely usable if that's what makes the budget. Same feelings about circle-dots, incidentally - they're helpful in some circumstances (such as giving reference for holdovers at 100-200), but they don't really do much for you at 50 and in.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Romeo 5! I think they are essentially the same though. If it has the solar panel I'd go with the Holosun, but the Sig battery life is astounding with the auto shut off feature. You can find the Romeos for $125 if you look. Be aware of knockoffs.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    What are the warranty on the sights. I was thinking of buying a Holosun on my next handgun. They have excellent warranty and seems like every guntuber likes them

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    What are the warranty on the sights. I was thinking of buying a Holosun on my next handgun. They have excellent warranty and seems like every guntuber likes them
    I believe they both have excellent warranties. I have bought both and have not had to worry about using a warranty knock on wood. Then again I am not super tough on my stuff.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    When I was younger, I always bought red dot sights and they worked well for me. But as I have grown older, I find that I pick up green dots faster. I was initially skeptical that this would be the case when Dan at Maryland's Elite Firearms told me to try a Holosun green dot sight, but his advice turned out to be absolutely right for me. YMMV!

Cal68

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I believe they both have excellent warranties. I have bought both and have not had to worry about using a warranty knock on wood. Then again I am not super tough on my stuff.
    I watched a video where they took a Sig Romeo 5, shot it with a shotgun, froze it in ice, thawed it, remounted it, and it was still on target. They did some other stuff to it too and it still worked. I think they are pretty tough. I baby mine but I'm sure if I dropped it from 3-4' it would be fine.

Edit:

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Just don't buy your Romeo5 off ebay. It will likely be fake.
    Yeah, they are easy to spot. There is a YouTube video that shows the differences. The biggest tells are the batteries are not energizer and the battery compartment is silver in color vs gold. The front lens on the fakes will be flat vs angled on the real Sig.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    I use the 403C on several of my shorter range rifles/SBRs. Perhaps because of my astigmatism, I find the default (solar powered) setting too bright/sparkly during the day, so shift to manual mode to turn the brightness down.

I got a qd mount for one of them, so I can use it on my Sub2k and still remove it and fold the gun for storage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom