• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    What are some opinions of the Sig 556R? I saw a lot of stuff in early 2011 that there were a lot of issues with ammo and FTE but supposedly Sig fixed these issues in 2012. Thoughts, opinions?

l730dc

Mar 6, 2013
    Kent Island, MD
    Some guy was shooting one at MSAR last week.. his looked really nice, the foregrip had the popout bipod.. he didnt have any problems with his... I was pretty impressed with it.. very jealous! You should get one

Makarov Kid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 7, 2012
    Commietown, Maryland
    They have been pretty spotty in the past and sometimes the spent casing wouldn't be ejected. I'd rather get a Mini 30, AK, VZ. 58, or SKS instead of a 556R at the moment. If the reliability problems have been solved, go ahead and get one. Just keep in mind that the prices will be high because it's a Sig product and that there is still some relative panic buying out of state.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The Gen2 guns are perfectly fine. Sig will upgrade the Gen1 guns to the Gen2 fixes for the cost of shipping ($55).

On the "AK vs 556R" debate, I'm undecided. There's no doubt in my mind that the 556R has the nicer operating system, somewhat better ergos, and the warranty is great to have. But, as with the other 556s, it's a bit front-heavy, especially if you mount a quad rail on it. I also find the play between the upper and lower on mine to be way looser than I'm used to.

If I had to choose between my heavily upgraded AMD-65 and a mostly stock Sig 556R, it'd be a difficult decision. But I also have a lot more trigger time on the AMD-65...

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    I really like my 556 SWAT. I was going to get a 556R when they first came out (2A had one that Mark let me drool all over), but given the problems the original guns had, I passed. I'd certainly consider one now that the teething issues are ironed out. Unfortunately, money is tight, and I have other choices to make prior to October 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom