• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Do the bolts, barrels, or magazines interchange? If not... Not Regulated. The ban regulated "SPECIFIC FIREARMS AND COPIES" not specific series of firearms. PLEASE STOP READING INTO THE LAW.

I am pretty sure that the regulated firearms are in a specific caliber (that being .223) These are not in that caliber... and just like a Mini 30 with a folding stock not being regulated, neither should the 556R.

Mark

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    The list indicates Sig 550 and the 551 as regulated; does not list the 556.

While there are some parts compatibilities between the 551 and 556, the 556R does not have these commonalities and doesn't accept many parts from the 550/551 as far as I know.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    While there are some parts compatibilities between the 551 and 556, the 556R does not have these commonalities and doesn't accept many parts from the 550/551 as far as I know.

So based on our observations and that of which is on the regulated list, would you agree that the 556 is non-regulated?

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    The 556R is definitely NOT REGULATED, but I could see where an argument could be made to state that the 556 is regulated.

The fact is that the barrels between the 550/551 and 556 DO NOT INTERCHANGE.
    The LOWER RECEIVERS ARE DIFFERENT, 550/551 are steel, 556 is Aluminum.
    Magazines do NOT interchange between the 550/551 and 556.
    Buttstock assembles are different.

and so forth, the SIG 550/551 and 556 do share the same cartridge and action, but that is not sufficient to be a copy. Copies can exchange parts.

Take an AR-15, you can take ANY AR-15 bolt and put it in nearly any AR-15 clone upper and it will function identically. That's a copy.
    Take an AR-15, you can take ANY AR-15 magazine and put it in nearly any AR-15 clone and it will function identically. That's a copy.
    Take an AR-15, you can take ANY AR-15 barreled upper and put it on nearly any AR-15 clone lower and it will function identically. That's a copy.

You cannot do this with a SIG-556R upper and a SIG-550/551 Lower

Mark

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    I say no.

The fact that they use different magazines make them different enough for me.

Ask your self this: how can a gun (shooting the same .223 caliber) be a copy while taking a different magazine?

The list is specific; therefore, the 556 should be on the list if MSP wants it to be regulated.

The list says: SIG 550/551 (.223 caliber); not SIG 550/551/556 (.223 caliber).

vetts1911

Practical Shooter
    Aug 25, 2008
    Mechanicsville
    My dealer ran my 556 as a regulated rifle.

I think that he just plays it safe.

I hate waiting a week and a day to the regulated guns but, when I was in NC the Sheriff had to approve. That just was a bear.

Last edited:
    Smart Dealers play it safe.

I hate Md regulations as much as anyone, but as a adealer, when the state police can't answer a nebulous question like this with anything other than...and this is a quote..."if it smells like an assault rifle it is an assault rifle."
    Then I am going to protect my own Dealer ass and call it regulated. Keeping my business is more important than to me than how fast I can sell a gun. I do not want to give any government agency a gray area in which to shut me down. Putting guns in the hands of law abiding citizens for years to come is more important to me than selling guns quickly and loosing my hard earned buisness. That is where, I stand and I think any one of you who owned a business and had logic on your side would do the same.
    Best to you all...Debra
    Estate Brokers of Maryland

2Asales&Supplies

, , Up In Arms Since 2009
    Industry Partner
    Aug 5, 2009
    I hate Md regulations as much as anyone, but as a adealer, when the state police can't answer a nebulous question like this with anything other than...and this is a quote..."if it smells like an assault rifle it is an assault rifle."
    Then I am going to protect my own Dealer ass and call it regulated. Keeping my business is more important than to me than how fast I can sell a gun. I do not want to give any government agency a gray area in which to shut me down. Putting guns in the hands of law abiding citizens for years to come is more important to me than selling guns quickly and loosing my hard earned buisness. That is where, I stand and I think any one of you who owned a business and had logic on your side would do the same.
    Best to you all...Debra
    Estate Brokers of Maryland

Very well worded.

BTW, I have a Sigarms Swiss 551-2 SP and a Sig 556. The barreled upper will swap freely between the platforms as will all other internal parts. The 551 is on the list. I'll let you all come to your own conclusions about the 556.

As far as the 556R, IMHO there is enough commonality there to regulate the firearm. I don't want to be a test case to establish otherwise and I don't blame Estate Brokers for not wanting to either.

cobracutter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 6, 2009
    The Sig556 is not a regulated weapon. Any dealers who would process one as regulated, would not get my business. I don't care if you "think" it is a grey area. It is not. 10 minutes of research would tell you it is clearly not. There is no reason to further restrict the 2A then it already is in Maryland.

Before you ask a question like this, try a search. You will find out most of these typical questions have been asked numerous times, so there ends up being redundant, needless threads.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom