• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jking2009

May 2, 2012
    Fairfield, PA
    I just bought a new sig sauer tacops 1911. i went to the range a month ago. I am a cross dominant shooter so i hold my pistol in my right hand but over to my left eye. I had a problem all day with the spent casings flying back and hitting me in the face. it is very discouraging when shooting because it doesn't feel to good after about 30 rounds or so. i have put around 250 to 300 rounds through it. If any has had this problem or knows how to fix mine please let me know it would be very appreciated. I am no gunsmith so i don't know if i could put in a new extractor and i am sure sig would want a massive amount of money to fix it. Please i ask again please help I don't want to have to sell the pistol because other than that i love it.

sigs4me

Sep 19, 2009
    Call Sig they will send you a call tag send it back to them any repair should be free and the last time I sent a gun to them they picked up the shipping.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    Doesn't the sig 1911 have an external extractor that can be tuned from the outside of the slide?

RG99

Jun 10, 2012
    Pasadena Md
    I shoot the same way it's a PITA. I don't have that problem with my Rock Island, it likes to extract the casings 10 ft in the air. As stated I would call Sig and see what they say.

trikshot

Industry Partner
    Nov 4, 2009
    Eastern Baltimore County
    I shoot the same way it's a PITA. I don't have that problem with my Rock Island, it likes to extract the casings 10 ft in the air. As stated I would call Sig and see what they say.

The problem is your Ejector, not the extractor. I recommend that you have a qualified gunsmith reshape your extractor face. If you provide ammo, the fix is pretty inexpensive.

RG99

Jun 10, 2012
    Pasadena Md
    The problem is your Ejector, not the extractor. I recommend that you have a qualified gunsmith reshape your extractor face. If you provide ammo, the fix is pretty inexpensive.

I'm not saying that there is something wrong with my 1911. I was just stating that it likes to eject the spent casings sometimes into other lanes at the range. Doesn't bother me any but now that I think about it the people next to me probably don't appreciate it so that's something I'll look into. Thanks

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008

If you say the problem is the ejector why would you have a smith adjust the extractor?

trikshot

Industry Partner
    Nov 4, 2009
    Eastern Baltimore County
    If you say the problem is the ejector why would you have a smith adjust the extractor?

You are correct, I should've proof read what I wrote. Reshaping of the Ejector face will change the ejected case's path. There is nothing "wrong" with the 1911. However, if the shooter is right-handed and left eye dominant, the ejection path needs to be redirected away from the shooter's face.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    temporary fix.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• faceshield.jpg
      faceshield.jpg
      1.5 KB · Views: 129

sigs4me

Sep 19, 2009
    I'm not saying that there is something wrong with my 1911. I was just stating that it likes to eject the spent casings sometimes into other lanes at the range. Doesn't bother me any but now that I think about it the people next to me probably don't appreciate it so that's something I'll look into. Thanks

For the love of god just CALL SIG...

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    OP... Where do you live? Let's go shoot and take Look at the ol gal.

Sent from my phone from somewhere in the world.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Beyond what John C said about ejector tuning , the OP needs to look at their grip/ stance. Letting the pistol rotate in the hand (aka Limp Wristing) makes major difference in trajectory of spent casing.

Like a surprisingly large percentage , I am also crossdominate , but no issues with this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom