• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bo_G

Jan 6, 2009
    Cecil County
    It’s mid-February and I’ve not had many quality days at the range in a while. To find ways to scratch that shooting itch I scheduled a trip to Sierra Bullets in Sedalia Missouri.

Shortly after I arrived I was met by Ballistic Technician Rich Machholz. In addition to his work at Sierra, Rich is also a competitive shooter and was a great companion and educator on this tour. It was obvious from the start that everyone was very busy, as you can well imagine, but very happy to work there. Rich started my tour at the very beginning with the incoming inspection of the rolls of copper that are manufactured to their specification by four suppliers; two in the US and two in Germany. It was great being able to speak with each operator and quality technician at every stage of production. With consistency being the name of the game, you can imagine how tight their tolerances are at each stage of production. They even manufacture their own barrels for testing to insure consistency. With their bullets being used by Hunters, Competitive Shooters and Military all over the world, it was an impressive sight to see what was being packed for shipment. The shipment to Lake City alone would have kept me shooting for another decade.

We ended with a trip to the basement where we were met by Tommy Todd the Chief Ballistician. Underneath the manufacturing area and offices is a 200 yard range and reloading room (also used as a tornado shelter). The walls are covered in stock-less barrels with Winchester Model 70 and Remington 700 actions in every caliber they produce. They fire between 500 and 1000 rounds a day in their final quality inspection before shipments are allowed to be loaded on trucks. My salivary glands finally got back to normal just before I boarded my plane back to the east coast.

Rich and Tommy were extremely generous with their time, information and stories. Everyone was extremely friendly and open. All in…what a great way to spend a February morning.

ibang1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Did you fly all the way to Missouri for bullets? All I needed was a small box of .40.

Any pictures of the factory?

Bo_G

Jan 6, 2009
    Cecil County
    Actually I had to be in Kansas City for business. I "modified" my travel arrangements to be able to make the trip:D. It's about 2 hours from where my meeting was.

No pictures but I do have samples of almost every individual stage in the production process. Pretty cool. They say they have been running flat out for over 4 years!

Tree Rat

Always a good target
    May 20, 2005
    Nice report. Reminds me of a tour I got of the Lake City plant in Independence back in the late 90's while working for the Navy. Imagine hotel laundry carts of 5.56 and 7.62x51 rounds moving from the production center to packing.........50 to 100's of them. I was there for a primer failure investigation. Reviewed their whole production process. They squeegy load a tray of 750 primer cups at a time while the artisens stand on a floor completely coated with yellow wet lead styphnate explosive mix. They could'nt get me off the outdoor test range testing M118LR in M-14's.

This was before all the wars started and I can't imagine how the place must be cranking today.

TR

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I'm surprised that you haven't admitted to how many pounds of blemished bullets you came back with. IIRC they have a 100 pound max per person, per visit, per day. I asked them about 6 months ago and i think that is what they told me via email/blemished price list. I'll send them another email and ask them to send me the blemished boolit price list for 2013.

The old man might be driving out to Colorado sometime soon, so I'll ask him to stop in and snag as many 168 SMKs, 165 SGKs, and 180 in 40 cal he can get his hands on. God willing he stops on his way out and also on his way back. Just think about 200 pounds of boolits, split between 168 SMKs and 180 in 40.

I have a week and a half of vacation scheduled for late May. Who wants to go on a road trip? Take the truck and I have seating for 2 members. We might be able to get out of there with 600-900 pounds of blemished boolits if we play our cards right.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    I have a week and a half of vacation scheduled for late May. Who wants to go on a road trip? Take the truck and I have seating for 2 members. We might be able to get out of there with 600-900 pounds of blemished boolits if we play our cards right.

I'm in!!!!!!

Tom

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I'm in!!!!!!

Tom

What all are you looking to pick up?

If my math is right on the grains to pounds conversion rate of 2 pounds 6 ounces for 100 pieces of 168gr bullets, I figure if I get 100 pounds of 168SMKs that would be about 4100 of the suckers. 200 lbs=8200pcs, 300 lbs=12300pcs. I don't think I would need 8200 or 12300 168SMKs, but you get the idea.

I could live with 4100 pcs of 168 SMKs, 4000 pcs of 180gr 40cal (FMJ and JHP), along with 4000pcs of 230gr for the 45 (FMJ or JHP) or 4100pcs of 165SGKs. I would prefer to get the 165SGKs over the 45 bullets though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom