• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    My take on a traditional Japanese Kiridashi. I had a bunch of forging scrap, so I made these. They cut pretty awesome.

They look GREAT!

I have a Spyderco with a pretty similar style blade...a guy on the Spyderco forums does meat-slice tests and that style blade is just a monster. The amount of force it takes is minimal to achieve the same results relative to other blade styles the depth and length of the cut really defies what most people think a sub-3-inch blade can do. I was just shocked by the results as it was on the same scale of aggressiveness with a kerambit and with minimal force required at that!

What do you do sheath-wise for them? I imagine with the flatter profile they are comfortable for something like a Kydex neck carry?

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    They look GREAT!

I have a Spyderco with a pretty similar style blade...a guy on the Spyderco forums does meat-slice tests and that style blade is just a monster. The amount of force it takes is minimal to achieve the same results relative to other blade styles the depth and length of the cut really defies what most people think a sub-3-inch blade can do. I was just shocked by the results as it was on the same scale of aggressiveness with a kerambit and with minimal force required at that!

What do you do sheath-wise for them? I imagine with the flatter profile they are comfortable for something like a Kydex neck carry?

Usually a 4 rivet (2 on each side) pancake style kydex. Sheaths for my bigger blades will accomodate them in sidecar fashion. You can string em with Paracord as a necker. You can also loop the lanyard in one grommet and run a key ring through another in states where legal.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Recently found this antique Samurai sword at a gun show for a really good price. It's nearly perfect and I'm guessing it's about 200 or 300 years old. Unfortunately it's not signed.

Attachments

• IMG_1177.jpg
      IMG_1177.jpg
      74.9 KB · Views: 763
    • IMG_1178.jpg
      IMG_1178.jpg
      38.1 KB · Views: 706

cb51

11967530445_2cc591a1ac_c.jpg

One of these are in my pocket everyday. Top GEC number 15 with 1095 carbon blade. Bottom Case peanut with Devon Thomas damascus blades. Cuts like the dickens, but small enough that it gets into government buildings downtown.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Cheap dojo practice katana and a use I found for it, cleaving pumpkins like a razor blade

photo.jpg

Reckon the day I get a more refined sword to amuse myself

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD

Nice knife! Kershaw's made a lot of nice knives but I think that is one of the finest ever and it never gets the attention it should! You don't see them much anymore. I've been trying to find the talon counterpart for a while and it's been hard to find one in good shape for a decent price...I reckon people with them hold on to them.

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    Nice knife! Kershaw's made a lot of nice knives but I think that is one of the finest ever and it never gets the attention it should! You don't see them much anymore. I've been trying to find the talon counterpart for a while and it's been hard to find one in good shape for a decent price...I reckon people with them hold on to them.

Yes, I don't think they carried them for but a year or 2 and then Ken Onion joined the fold. A former co-worker got me back into knives in the mid 90s and it was one of the first "nice" folders I purchased. It was my edc for a couple years but actually never saw any hard use, except for a scratch on the blade which can probably be buffed out it shows little wear.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Had some Amazon gift cards saved up, found a good deal on a 275 Adamas, and here it is. Seems like a lot of knife for the money, really comfortable grip, wide enough to get a lot of force on the blade, textured and shaped just enough to be secure, although the jimping and thumb ramp are pretty good, and works well with gloves. The blade is thick and a bit under ground, but should be really tough and has a strong sharp tip. I'm not a huge fan of D2, but it holds an edge, and when taken care of I haven't had many issues with rust, the ceramic coating is better than paint, but it isn't DLC. The Axis lock is awesome as always, flip it open or closed easy, it's nice and smooth, flies right open pulling the axis back or pushing the thumbstud and flicking. It's big and heavy, about the same as my ZT300, little heavier and thicker than my other 3.5"-4" "hard use" folders but carries fine for me, and I like it well enough to put it in my EDC rotation.

Attachments

• 20140123_145922.jpg
      20140123_145922.jpg
      66 KB · Views: 453

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Nice score!

I really like the Adamas...it's one of my favorite BMs, and I agree with you on D2 100%. I wish they would have done it in S30 or M4. Even 154 is OK. Just D2 is kind of blah and unless its got a diamond-like a boride coating...

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Nice score!

I really like the Adamas...it's one of my favorite BMs, and I agree with you on D2 100%. I wish they would have done it in S30 or M4. Even 154 is OK. Just D2 is kind of blah and unless its got a diamond-like a boride coating...

I always liked the look of the Adamas, and it's been a while since I've had an axis lock knife(older Grip in D2), so I wanted one. I really like the blade on Smokey's BM 810, and M4 is awesome, but I hate the handle design, cheesegrater texture and grip shaped for a flipper not fingers, and the goofy glass breaker. An M4 or M390 Adamas would have been epic, even S30V would have been better IMO. D2 is OK for a mid grade tool steel, ranking around 154CM but harder to sharpen by hand, although holds an edge better with less corrosion resistance. Still beats cheaper CrMov, AUS8 or 420 though, and should be fine for cutting stuff around the house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom