Should IP Always Post Prices on Their Threads?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I've been here on the forum for almost 7 years and one of the things that really befuzzles me is that some IP's don't post prices on guns/items they are selling. If the IP is selling items in their business, shouldn't they post the price for the item?

Here's my thoughts.....basically its a classified ad. You're trying to sell something. Something catches a buyer eye so what's the first question they will ask...."How Much?" So if you have multiple items for sale you have a thread full of "How much" and an occasional new guy with "WHere is your store located?":innocent0 That's what the "F" in "FNG" means....

Sometimes you'll get a "PM for prices" .....WHY?? If you don't want to make the price public then make the IP section for Members Only and not for Lurkers.

I know its a businesses and the "sale" is to get customers into the store...I get that and all the IP it's your job, to make $$ to make a living. Totally understand....but if you're selling a particular firearm, let's say Ruger LC9 because it's in stock then post the price. BUT, if you are posting "All Rugers in Stock at 10% off" I understand you don't have the time to post EACH Ruger in stock. I get that!

It doesn't apply to all the IP's because most of them do but some don't. I Just think if you're have the time to post a picture, a short description then post the price too.

I'm not trying to start a war.....just a observation. I guess I'm ready for the poo flinging to start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgUwpb3I98M

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Some distributors have minimum pricing that if the IP is selling below, they are not allowed to advertise.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Some distributors have minimum pricing that if the IP is selling below, they are not allowed to advertise.

This.

Plus if you get ten guys asking you for pricing you get 20 bumps on the "New Post" button.

I don't mind as long as they answer in the thread or PM you pricing. I do not fancy the folks who say "come and see".

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I also see the competitive side of things that you do not want to show the rest of the shops what you are selling this item for. This may be an internet forum, but the IPs run brick and mortar businesses for the most part. Foot traffic is the name of the game for them.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Yes. A good picture and a fair price are what get me into a shop. It's 45 minutes to Hafer's and Engage and 90 to Duffy's, so finding time to just drop in and browse is difficult.

Only place I "browse" is Gunrunners because it's close and open late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    With all the reasons here why local gun shops don't advertise prices of firearms, How is it that the big boys advertise weekly there prices in mailings, flyers, newspapers on the web and other mediums but the small guy tends not to.
    How difficult would it be to sell a home that just the listing agent knew the selling price ?
    I can call just about any other business and get the price of any product they sell.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Each IP should decide. Their business. Their rules. As said, they also have advertising limitations imposed by manufacturers and/or distributors.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Its used car salesmen bullcrap is what it is. The MAP pricing excuse is a joke and no one gets their programs revoked for going below MAP, the big chains do it all of the time and they buy direct in bulk.

I refused to play that game when I advertise for Scotts. If I post a freaking product, it will have a price.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    Yep, I dont have any current wants gun wise but seeing all these threads without prices surely isnt gonna get my time to PM or drive there to find the price. I have been known to buy things after seeing an appealing price though even on something I wasnt really interested in before.

Bottom line, 99% better chance of me buying something if it has a price listed.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Its used car salesmen bullcrap is what it is. The MAP pricing excuse is a joke and no one gets their programs revoked for going below MAP, the big chains do it all of the time and they buy direct in bulk.

I refused to play that game when I advertise for Scotts. If I post a freaking product, it will have a price.

Not firearm related businesses, but I have personally seen other businesses lose product lines and discounts because of this.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Look, much as I'd like to have this rule, the workaround for dealers who don't want to play ball is to just post up MSRP and call it a day.

I am sympathetic to FPS' general complaint, though. It's an obnoxious policy that's anti-competitive and consumer-unfriendly, and I don't really care what their business justifications are, it's not the sort of thing that should be promoted in our community.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I was wondering the same thing. High Rock Outfitters was PMing prices on VZ2008s. I assumed that meant he was high. Not the case. Had he posted the price, guys would have killed themselves to get to his shop so fast.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I'd say it's their call. I've only ever had one shop tell me they wouldn't even pm me a price, I had to come in to get that. I didn't bother, they didn't get a chance to sell me the gun.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I was wondering the same thing. High Rock Outfitters was PMing prices on VZ2008s. I assumed that meant he was high. Not the case. Had he posted the price, guys would have killed themselves to get to his shop so fast.

You'd think that's what they'd want, I mean it is a business wanting to sell stuff.
    If I don't see a price, I move on.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    With all the reasons here why local gun shops don't advertise prices of firearms, How is it that the big boys advertise weekly there prices in mailings, flyers, newspapers on the web and other mediums but the small guy tends not to.

I can call just about any other business and get the price of any product they sell.

The big boys get big discounts from the distributors. They can sell for less than the small guys can buy wholesale.

I don't know what homes has to do with anything, there is an ask price and a bid price for homes and each one is different. Does the listing agent ever tell you what the rock bottom offer the owners will accept is?

I can tell you from being in the mens wear business (pre internet) other stores sent their new salesmen (who wouldn't be recognized) to our store to "shop" meaning to check prices. We did the same thing. In retail the point is to make money. You don't want to leave money on the table to be the cheapest guy in town but you don't want to have the rep of being overpriced either.

There is no doubt in my mind that some members would spend $20 in gas so they could save $5 on a gun. Having been in the retail business I totally get it.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA

it seems so simple, but make it easy for your customer to buy your product or service. if you advertise something, list the price. don't make your customer call, email, pm or drive to your store. if you make it hard for me, I don't buy from you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JonWayneCampbell

Latest threads

Top Bottom