• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yourgundepot

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2013
    Garretty county
    Although MSP advised me not to, I am torn between following their recommendations or providing the 8 day release. Personally I feel that even 8 days is too long when waiting on a new toy, but I can't help that. I was told they are 105 days back now so here is the dilemma. Should I make the exception for 8 day release or not. Anyone got some input?

Wendigo

Hungry
    Mar 31, 2013
    Reisterstown
    What if they advised you to wear your left shoe on your right foot? There's no law that says you must and there's no law that says you can't. Simply their advice.

If you have no reason to believe the person would be disapproved, than do the transfer on day 8 as per the law.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Let's put it this way... I know someone who just bought a Glock 19 from Dealer B, because they're releasing in 2 weeks, rather than Dealer A, who is requiring the "Not Disapproved" paperwork from the MSP (12 weeks), even though Dealer B was asking $10 more for the same Glock. That individual will also be buying ANOTHER pistol from Dealer B next month, even though that pistol will cost $25 more than Dealer A's price.

Wendigo

Hungry
    Mar 31, 2013
    Reisterstown
    Didn't think about you might be running a shop, figured you were just doing a private sale. If you're running a business, than do what you think would be best for your business.

If its just a private sale then I stand by my previous post. :)

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Its going to be survival of the fittest, you either release or lose business to those that are releasing. Those people may not come back.

Stevel Knievel

Feb 6, 2013
    The Universe
    Withhold all dealings with businesses not releasing 8th day. Call the owners and let them know you'll be doing business elsewhere as well. I'm going to call Continental right now.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Withhold all dealings with businesses not releasing 8th day. Call the owners and let them know you'll be doing business elsewhere as well. I'm going to call Continental right now.

I don't think it is necessary to "let them know..." etc.

I called one dealer today to ask what their release policy was, and he told me the usual spiel - no early releases, current wait is 12 weeks, etc. So I just cordially thanked him, and said goodbye. I think they'll get it.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Personally, it would be important to me if I were buying a gun from you, especially a handgun (though I would understand either way). No one is still sure on whether or not people are going to need the new HQL to pick up guns after 10/1 in cases where they submitted paperwork on the gun before 10/1.

I assume with the new laws, MSP will not only need to develop the HQL application forms, they will also need to do a new Form 77 since there are new requirements in there just for possession as well. I don't think any of those forms are going to be close to ready by 10/1.

So the potential is that no one (including police buying without letterhead, who are exempt from the HQL requirement, but still required to do the 77R ppw) will be picking up any handgun for quite a while after October 1st until MSP gets the new forms ready.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Although MSP advised me not to, I am torn between following their recommendations or providing the 8 day release. Personally I feel that even 8 days is too long when waiting on a new toy, but I can't help that. I was told they are 105 days back now so here is the dilemma. Should I make the exception for 8 day release or not. Anyone got some input?

Where's your shop at in Garrett county, I'd like to come visit.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    105 days as of today and getting longer with each passing day. Releasing early (8 days, two weeks, whatever) is what to do to stay in business. As a frequent buyer (collector), I wouldn't wait 3+ months. When I picked up some stuff today after waiting two weeks, the guy behind me picking up early was a state trooper. He complained about waiting more than 30 days (because he's not a designated collector and never bought there before). The employee told him they were still releasing way early. The trooper didn't know that MSP paperwork delay is more than three months, even though he was picking up a to-be-banned item. :D

yourgundepot

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2013
    Garretty county
    Its not about the money, the fact is I have always been against the brady bill. Personally its getting worse for the MD residents. I started a new business, after training under an old gunsmith in SC, I live in Oakland, and for this first year I am working from my home. I have bigger machinery in another location (my home would not accommodate it.) But I do most of my handgun work in the home office. Any sales or transfers are done in my home. (unless I get involved in a gun show, but I doubt that.) I have not had my licenses for very long. But I do have a few regular customers. Most of what I have in my office for sale are things I found interesting from other dealers. I really wanted to be just a gunsmith, but reality is I have to do more than that to pay bills and replace machinery.

The shop is in Oakland, at my house but is by appointment only. And if you have not figured it out I am a non-stocking dealer.

Also looking for a decent lathe (mine is dead, or rather not usable for what I need any longer.)

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Its not about the money, the fact is I have always been against the brady bill. Personally its getting worse for the MD residents. I started a new business, after training under an old gunsmith in SC, I live in Oakland, and for this first year I am working from my home. I have bigger machinery in another location (my home would not accommodate it.) But I do most of my handgun work in the home office. Any sales or transfers are done in my home. (unless I get involved in a gun show, but I doubt that.) I have not had my licenses for very long. But I do have a few regular customers. Most of what I have in my office for sale are things I found interesting from other dealers. I really wanted to be just a gunsmith, but reality is I have to do more than that to pay bills and replace machinery.

The shop is in Oakland, at my house but is by appointment only. And if you have not figured it out I am a non-stocking dealer.

Also looking for a decent lathe (mine is dead, or rather not usable for what I need any longer.)

With that being said, there are several full time Garrett County residents on this forum who may be interested in meeting you and perhaps utilizing your services in the future.

;)

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    With that being said, there are several full time Garrett County residents on this forum who may be interested in meeting you and perhaps utilizing your services in the future.

;)

Yeah, PM us yours info and maybe a few of us can set up an appointment to see what we might be able to get together on.:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom