Should I keep the cloth strips from the cleaning hole in my SKS?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    When I cleaned up my SKS there was no cleaning kit in the stock. There was however a couple of cloth strips that are about 1/2 inch by 15 inches. The one looks like it was cut from a green cloth, like a uniform shirt.

I put them in a zip lock bag and marked the bag with the gun's S/N, but now I'm wondering if they have any value or should just be tossed.

Thanks in advance.
    :)

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I would leave them in the rifle or throw them away since I would lose them otherwise.

That being said, I don't think them being or not being with the rifle will matter any.

WatTyler

Ultimate Member
    If it was a Yugo SKS, the strips were probably intended for use with the Yugo cleaning kit. Along with the tube/brush 'n jag kit in the butt, there would be the banjo oil bottle and a long piece of heavy string with loops on each end - one step up from a bootlace. But if you wet the string, thread it down the barrel and put a strip of cloth through the loop, it could serve as a primitive pull-thru.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Thanks for all of the replies. :)

It is a Chinese 56 SKS (1956 all matching). It was missing the cleaning kit. I have since picked one up. When I took it apart to clean up the cosmo, I found the strips. They look like they've run through the barrel a few times.

I asked the question because I have seen some really strange things at gun shows and wanted to know if other folks would want this stuff (should I ever dispose of this gun).

I personally don't see a need for them. I just didn't want to throw out a piece of history associated with the rifle - if it mattered.

I've decided to just keep the strips in a zip lock bag with my other gun stuff, marked with the SKS's S/N. In the unlikely event I ever sell this gun, I'll let the new owner decide what to do with them.

Grey_Man

Feb 25, 2010
    Fruitland
    I say keep them. They won't add any actual value, but I think stuff like that is cool. It gives you a sense of the history of the weapon, which is one of the reasons I got into C&R firearms in the first place.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I bought a Browning Hi Power off GB a while ago; it was said to have come from Israel, though there was no obvious marking to make it so.

I took it to Engage to have them remove the magazine safety and check it over; they returned it along with a plastic bag containing all that they removed from the pistol. Along with some old springs and the disconnector, there was . . . a dead fly.

Should I have kept it?

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I bought a Browning Hi Power off GB a while ago; it was said to have come from Israel, though there was no obvious marking to make it so.

I took it to Engage to have them remove the magazine safety and check it over; they returned it along with a plastic bag containing all that they removed from the pistol. Along with some old springs and the disconnector, there was . . . a dead fly.

Should I have kept it?

Only if you think you might have to change the springs on the fly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom