• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vballbach

Jan 16, 2013
    Odenton, MD
    Hi All,

Been searching for a semi auto shotgun that I can use for both ducks and deer. I really like the Remington 11-87 with barrel options. I also like the cantilever rifled barrel for deer.

Is there any other guns out there that has both of the same barrel option?

I really like the Weatherby SA-08 but they do not make a slug barrel :o( Not that I know of.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I've never needed a rifles barrel to shoot slugs well.

Just make sure you don't leave any chokes on when firing your slugs and you should be fine.

I've had great success with good old foster slugs

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Mossberg and Remington both have models where you can easily exchange barrels to have either a smooth barrel for shot or a rifled barrel for slugs. Either manufacturer would be a great choice.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    it's true, it just takes maybe three minutes if that to change out a mossberg or a Remington 870 barrel.

The Mossberg all you do is unscrew the magazine tube's forward end/locking piece and just pull the barrel right on out.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    you're probably best off getting a dedicated smoothbore shotgun for shot, and picking up a h&r slug hunter for about $250-300 for slugs. The h&r's are damned accurate.

Of course, as others mentioned...you can get decent accuracy with foster/brenneke slugs out of a smoothbore...or at least decent enough for the 30-75 yard shot you're likely to take around here in md. You also have the benefit that rifled slugs for a smoothbore are typically around a buck a shot instead of $3/shot or more with sabots(that you'd shoot with a rifled barrel). The big thing to think about with shooting smoothbore slugs will just be what kind of optic/sighting system are you going to use. Some guns are drilled and tapped up top, while others wont be. Remingtons will largely require a saddle-mount like a b-square to be able to toss a scope on them, most all mossbergs anymore come from the factory drilled/tapped for a base.

If you get a dedicated smoothbore shotgun for birding and sporting, and the h&r, you'll have a great purpose-built gun for both areas with no compromise. The h&r is damned near the same price as getting the slug barrel for an 870 or 1187, so may as well get a whole nother gun that will punk them in accuracy.

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    Hi All,

Been searching for a semi auto shotgun that I can use for both ducks and deer. I really like the Remington 11-87 with barrel options. I also like the cantilever rifled barrel for deer.

Is there any other guns out there that has both of the same barrel option?

I really like the Weatherby SA-08 but they do not make a slug barrel :o( Not that I know of.

I have a 11-87 works for everything. I do not have a cantilever rifled barrel. I tag out on deer will my smoothbore barrel. I have a 870 with two barrels but it is used as back up.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    you're probably best off getting a dedicated smoothbore shotgun for shot, and picking up a h&r slug hunter for about $250-300 for slugs. The h&r's are damned accurate.

Of course, as others mentioned...you can get decent accuracy with foster/brenneke slugs out of a smoothbore...or at least decent enough for the 30-75 yard shot you're likely to take around here in md. You also have the benefit that rifled slugs for a smoothbore are typically around a buck a shot instead of $3/shot or more with sabots(that you'd shoot with a rifled barrel). The big thing to think about with shooting smoothbore slugs will just be what kind of optic/sighting system are you going to use. Some guns are drilled and tapped up top, while others wont be. Remingtons will largely require a saddle-mount like a b-square to be able to toss a scope on them, most all mossbergs anymore come from the factory drilled/tapped for a base.

If you get a dedicated smoothbore shotgun for birding and sporting, and the h&r, you'll have a great purpose-built gun for both areas with no compromise. The h&r is damned near the same price as getting the slug barrel for an 870 or 1187, so may as well get a whole nother gun that will punk them in accuracy.

Nailed it!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

mka2278

Nov 1, 2013
    If anyone has a maverick 88 or mossy.500 smooth barrel they could part with, lemme know what you want for it. Thanks!
    I'm in harford co.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom