• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joker

Jan 31, 2009
    Harford County
    I am looking for suggestions on a red-dot optic for a home defense 12-gauge pump or semi auto. Anyone have a setup they would recommend? Not looking to cheap out, nor break the bank.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Mine are set up for turkey but I have a Beretta A400 with a Burris fast fire and set up a Stoeger M3000 with a Holosun. Both setups work fine.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    I’m sure there are better options out there depending on your preference. I went with an RMR on a Scalarworks mount on the Benelli. It’s as low as you can get to have it cowitness while keeping a proper cheekweld with the stock in the middle position. I like it enough that I will end up getting one for one of the 590s as well.
    7756B101-3D8F-4B64-ACF3-58E4042567E3.jpeg

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I’m sure there are better options out there depending on your preference. I went with an RMR on a Scalarworks mount on the Benelli. It’s as low as you can get to have it cowitness while keeping a proper cheekweld with the stock in the middle position. I like it enough that I will end up getting one for one of the 590s as well.
    View attachment 452710
    That looks like a really nice setup and that's the exact same gun I'd be mounting the site on. May I ask for exactly which RMR and mout you used?

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    That looks like a really nice setup and that's the exact same gun I'd be mounting the site on. May I ask for exactly which RMR and mout you used?
    It’s an RMR 06 Type 2 with the 3.25 MOA dot on the SYNC mount. I considered an SRO for the bigger window but was more concerned about it standing up to abuse as well as the RMR. Scalarworks sells them in packages too. I believe the Aimpoint was offered as well if that might interest you.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    It’s an RMR 06 Type 2 with the 3.25 MOA dot on the SYNC mount. I considered an SRO for the bigger window but was more concerned about it standing up to abuse as well as the RMR. Scalarworks sells them in packages too. I believe the Aimpoint was offered as well if that might interest you.
    Thank you Sir, great looking setup.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Ok that I understand, but if anyone can answer about the other type, please.
    How good is your eyesight? if you can see it at 100 yards, a laser will go 100 yards. You're not using a shotgun out that far. A laser is fine for 15 yards. It's just for quick acquisition.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Thanks blaster. Yeah, I realize that this question topic is for the shotgun version of red dot optics. My only experience with lasers are those I use in my carpentry. I have a red laser measuring device and a green laser plumb and level unit that I use for setting tiles or making walls plumb and leveling items on walls.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    My only experience with lasers are those I use in my carpentry. I have a red laser measuring device and a green laser plumb and level unit that I use for setting tiles or making walls plumb and leveling items on walls.

Joking or snark .

We should be asking you about your laser experience and observations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom