• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'm trying to understand the quandary. Isn't swapping out barrels on an 1100 pretty easy? I know that swapping barrels on an 870 is danged near idiot proof - it's a simple matter of unscrewing the knob, pulling off the barrel, seating in the new barrel, and screwing the knob back on. Of course that's a pump gun - an auto shotgun might be a bit different though, and I've personally never done it.

In any case, finding a slug barrel for an 1100 is as simple as doing a Google search on "1100 slug barrel" - all kinds of options pop up.

With that said, it's never a bad idea to pick up another gun, and an 870 slug gun would be a decent addition to the family.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I'm trying to understand the quandary. Isn't swapping out barrels on an 1100 pretty easy? I know that swapping barrels on an 870 is danged near idiot proof - it's a simple matter of unscrewing the knob, pulling off the barrel, seating in the new barrel, and screwing the knob back on. Of course that's a pump gun - an auto shotgun might be a bit different though, and I've personally never done it.

In any case, finding a slug barrel for an 1100 is as simple as doing a Google search on "1100 slug barrel" - all kinds of options pop up.

With that said, it's never a bad idea to pick up another gun, and an 870 slug gun would be a decent addition to the family.

The only addition to changing the 1100 barrel, to what you wrote, is:

Slide off the forend, after removing magazine cap. Period.

So easy.

ETA: OP - don't think that you're limited with a 2-3/4" slug. My son took his first deer (7 pt) at about 130-135 yards, with a Winchester Sabot Round, in my Remington 870 w/ cantilever scoped rifled slug barrel. One shot. Knocked the buck's _ _ck in the dirt.
    Second buck. 40 yards. Boom. Thump. Dead right there. Same shotgun. Same slug. Winchester 2-3/4" Partition Gold.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    The only addition to changing the 1100 barrel, to what you wrote, is:

Slide off the forend, after removing magazine cap. Period.

So easy.
    Ah - it's been a while, so I don't remember, but isn't that also part of swapping the barrel of the 870?

I have two barrels for my 870 Wingmaster - one is a long barrel, the other is considerably shorter, both with full choke. Dad always liked the shorter barrel and I always liked the longer barrel. Mine probably isn't a great candidate for a slug deer gun though because it's only for a 2.75" shell, and I'd want at least a full 3" for a slug gun.

Either way though, it seems like an easy option to find a slug barrel for a Remington shotgun.

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    Mine probably isn't a great candidate for a slug deer gun though because it's only for a 2.75" shell, and I'd want at least a full 3" for a slug gun.

Either way though, it seems like an easy option to find a slug barrel for a Remington shotgun.

There are plenty of very good options out there for slugs in 2 3/4'' My slug gun can shoot 3 1/2'' shells and I use Hornady 2 3/4'' slugs

byf43

Ah - it's been a while, so I don't remember, but isn't that also part of swapping the barrel of the 870?

I have two barrels for my 870 Wingmaster - one is a long barrel, the other is considerably shorter, both with full choke. Dad always liked the shorter barrel and I always liked the longer barrel. Mine probably isn't a great candidate for a slug deer gun though because it's only for a 2.75" shell, and I'd want at least a full 3" for a slug gun.

Nah. On the 870, just unlock the bolt, by sliding the forend back a couple of inches, and slide the barrel off.

Very similar. Very slight difference in swapping barrels.

As for feeling 'under-slugged' with a 2-3/4". No way!!!!! I kid you not....... those Winchester Partition Gold Sabot rounds are AWESOME, and very accurate.
    I like 'em so much, I bought 10 boxes from the same lot number, after I sighted in the 870.

Only thing is - those "SSP-12" rounds are no longer advertised at 1900 fps. They're rated at 1,725 fps, I think.

2-3/4"

http://www.natchezss.com/winchester-supreme-partition-gold-slug.html

3"

http://www.natchezss.com/winchester-supreme-partition-gold-slug-100392.html

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    As for feeling 'under-slugged' with a 2-3/4". No way!!!!! I kid you not....... those Winchester Partition Gold Sabot rounds are AWESOME, and very accurate.
    I like 'em so much, I bought 10 boxes from the same lot number, after I sighted in the 870.

Only thing is - those "SSP-12" rounds are no longer advertised at 1900 fps. They're rated at 1,725 fps, I think.

2-3/4"

http://www.natchezss.com/winchester-supreme-partition-gold-slug.html

3"

http://www.natchezss.com/winchester-supreme-partition-gold-slug-100392.html
    Hmmmm - I might just have to do that. I've been thinking of doing some deer hunting - I've never been, but I have many friends who do it, and I think that it would be a good way to put some (possibly) healthier read meat in the freezer.

Thanks for the links!

byf43

Hmmmm - I might just have to do that. I've been thinking of doing some deer hunting - I've never been, but I have many friends who do it, and I think that it would be a good way to put some (possibly) healthier read meat in the freezer.

Thanks for the links!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

My pleasure.

Again, out of that STOCK 870 rifled slug barrel, with a cantilever mount, with Warne rings, and a Nikon 2-7 ProStaff scope, this combination SHOOTS.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    OK, I'll say it , it is safe to fire Foster style slugs from a full choke bbl. Optium accuraccy is a different discussion, but it's safe. Optiumaccuraccy is a different discussion from being *within 2 minutes of whitetail at typical distances" .

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    My understanding is that the guts of a Magnum 1100 are different. The serial number should end in an M if it's a magnum.

Yes, it has Magnum stamped on the receiver and yes the S/N does end in an M.

I picked up the Hasting rifled barrel that Pablopac kindly offered to let me try out in post #2, as well as some 2 3/4" sabot slugs. I must admit I don't know what the Magnum means re: the guts and how they differ, but when I fed the slugs into the tube magazine and then cycled the bolt, all of them fed in and ejected just fine. Thursday I'll take it to the range and actually fire it, but so far so good.

If it works I'll probably go with this option and buy the barrel, as it is the lowest price point to get me out in the field whacking bambis. And everyone seems to agree the Hasting barrel is a good one. In future years I might upgrade to a new dedicated deer rifle but if this works it will be good enough for now.

Thanks also for the comments about the O-rings. I can't get any in by Thursday but if I keep the barrel I'll order a new one, I agree 20+ year rubber needs to be replaced.

Thanks also for your comments about the Remington 1100. I never realized it was a classic. It was an impulse buy (unusual for me) and I thought it was just an old beater; now I'm looking at it in a new light.

The links and all the comments pro & con were great. Thanks much for the feedback!

byf43

Yes, it has Magnum stamped on the receiver and yes the S/N does end in an M.

I picked up the Hasting rifled barrel that Pablopac kindly offered to let me try out in post #2, as well as some 2 3/4" sabot slugs. I must admit I don't know what the Magnum means re: the guts and how they differ, but when I fed the slugs into the tube magazine and then cycled the bolt, all of them fed in and ejected just fine. Thursday I'll take it to the range and actually fire it, but so far so good.

If it works I'll probably go with this option and buy the barrel, as it is the lowest price point to get me out in the field whacking bambis. And everyone seems to agree the Hasting barrel is a good one. In future years I might upgrade to a new dedicated deer rifle but if this works it will be good enough for now.

Thanks also for the comments about the O-rings. I can't get any in by Thursday but if I keep the barrel I'll order a new one, I agree 20+ year rubber needs to be replaced.

Thanks also for your comments about the Remington 1100. I never realized it was a classic. It was an impulse buy (unusual for me) and I thought it was just an old beater; now I'm looking at it in a new light.

The links and all the comments pro & con were great. Thanks much for the feedback!

IF memory serves me, the size of the 12 ga O-ring is a "Viton #21".

You MIGHT be able to get this at a well-stocked hardware store, or auto supply store.

Be CERTAIN that it is a VITON O-ring. A standard O-ring WILL work, but, not for long.

Just for _ _its and giggles...... the original O-ring in my beloved 1100 Magnum lasted 22 years before I replaced it. (It was still intact. I just ordered a few for another 1100 that I bought.)

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    FYI to close the loop I decided to go with the Hastings rifled barrel offered by Pablopac in post #2.

I took it to the Berwyn range in Bowie today and it shot very well with my classic Remington 1100 Magnum. I was walking the shots in at 50 yards with the adjustable iron sights when i ran out of time and ammo. I had two different brands of ammo, and how they separately performed was stark. I got 6-8" difference in elevation depending on which brand I used; that much was very surprising to me. It's true the fps between the two was large but I didn't expect how much that translated to elevation. I was very pleased with the trigger; it was very smooth with a clean break.

The one thing I didn't like was the recoil. It kicked like a mule. I fired twenty 12 ga. slug shells and my shoulder is sore tonight. It's been a few decades since I last fired a shotgun, and I've never fired slugs before, so that was eye opening. I think if I ever replace (or add to) this gun I'll next buy a 20 gauge to take the edge off. I'm sure that will still be more than enough to drop Bambi.

But this gives me the lowest price point to get out to the field, and once I get the sights zeroed in, it will be an effective weapon and a great shooter.

I'll probably also add a sllng along with the mount points. All of the Appleseed events have convinced me of the effectiveness of using a sling to improve accuracy.

jaybee

Ultimate Member
    FYI to close the loop I decided to go with the Hastings rifled barrel offered by Pablopac in post #2.

The one thing I didn't like was the recoil. It kicked like a mule. I fired twenty 12 ga. slug shells and my shoulder is sore tonight. .

if ya think that kicks - borrow a pump gun and run 20 rounds thru it
    :lol:

I did a 1100, gas - a browning, spring - and a pump, nuttin helping

1100 kicked the least due to the gas recoil

BTW - slugs got more kick than bird shot, trap loads etc - you be throwin some lead with slugs

byf43

The only thing that I can say about the factory 1100 recoil pad, is that it is as soft as a brick.

I put a Remington "Supercell" (I think that's the name) on my Remington 870 w/ fully rifled barrel, and the felt recoil was greatly reduced.

The Limbsaver recoil pad works very well on hard-hitting rifles and shotguns, also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom