• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    The Mosin-Nagant doesn't seem to bother me when I shoot light ball mil-surp loads. However, shooting an 03A3 or K98k will tear my shoulder up.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Sounds like a flair up of mosinitus

If it had an attached bayonet, it was probably an M44. If it did not it was probably a M38. There are a ton of flavors of Mosin.

IMHO it is very difficult to find a rifle that is more fun than a Mosin. Sure it was the bottom of the barrel compared to the Mausers or 03's. However it just for a great day at the range.

If the recoil was bad, I have found the $11 rubber recoil butt pad to be very effective. It adds an inch or two to the LOP which really helps. Russian peasants must have had short arms. I eventually took it off because I am kind of a purist and it looked wrong. Plus Inigoes was making fun of me.:tdown:

If you are thinking of going that route, get your C&R license NOW. You will be able to order them directly and if you like it, you will probably not just buy one.

I have a .308 Rem 700P and the recoil is miles apart from the Mosin. The 700 is softer to shoot IME.

Mrhyde

Capitalist-Pig
    May 22, 2010
    Bel Air MD
    +1 for the recoil pad. Your shoulder will thank you.

I always heard that the mosins had a short LOP because the Ruskies wore such thick coats in the winter that the LOP would be too long if they left it standard. That could be all BS but it makes sense.

So the recoil pad really does help by lengthening the LOP and by saving your shoulder.

I can't get enough of MoNas either. I think everyone should have 2 or 3.

As far as the ammo goes, stock up when you find it. The surplus stuff isn't too shabby if you buy it in a spam can.

be prepared for an addiction. It's hard to quit buying MOSINS!

RG99

Jun 10, 2012
    Pasadena Md
    IMO you can't beat a mosin for the price. Also ammo is relatively cheap when bought in bulk. Like others have said, put a recoil pad on and the kick won't be as bad. You could probably build a mosin for hunting for cheaper than a bone stock .308 will cost you. I figure get a synthetic stock and mount a scope and there you go.
    Plus mosins are just so much damn fun :)

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    With all this talk of the Mosin's kick: My then 16 year-old daughter shot mine when I first got it! :thumbsup:

( in all fairness she shot it once and said wow, that's enough. Let me shoot that AR15 again):innocent0

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    ....I always heard that the mosins had a short LOP because the Ruskies wore such thick coats in the winter that the LOP would be too long if they left it standard. That could be all BS but it makes sense.

guess they didn't fight during the summer in their wife-beater shirts! :D

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    With all this talk of the Mosin's kick: My then 16 year-old daughter shot mine when I first got it! :thumbsup:

( in all fairness she shot it once and said wow, that's enough. Let me shoot that AR15 again):innocent0

Here's a friend I grew up with shooting my mosin. She'd always been left eye dominant, but shot righty. We were having her try left handed shooting to better match up with her eyes. She wasn't holding it very tight and allowed it to punch back more than it should've in this video, but then went on to shoot another 60 or so shots with no problem. We moved over to the handgun range after this and she put people to shame with her glock(been to blackwater and a bunch of other training facilities for handgunning, just not as experienced with long guns).

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I shot one for the first time recently too. Less of a big deal for me as one of my own guns fires the same round and weighs about the same, with the same short LOP - and I have a pistol that is a top loader. I actually expected a little more kick ... I guess experience with my PSL had me plant it well in my shoulder.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    I (usually) have a few lying around that I'm willing to part with at any given time. So hit me up when you decide to buy.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    +1 for the recoil pad. Your shoulder will thank you.

I always heard that the mosins had a short LOP because the Ruskies wore such thick coats in the winter that the LOP would be too long if they left it standard. That could be all BS but it makes sense.

So the recoil pad really does help by lengthening the LOP and by saving your shoulder.

I can't get enough of MoNas either. I think everyone should have 2 or 3.

As far as the ammo goes, stock up when you find it. The surplus stuff isn't too shabby if you buy it in a spam can.

be prepared for an addiction. It's hard to quit buying MOSINS!

That actually makes a lot of sense about the LOP. I generally only shoot my Mosins in the winter, ideally under snow because that is the story of the battle of Stalingrad. A big coat is imperative.:thumbsup:

PMKMD

Jul 13, 2010
    As others have said I find that if you hold the rifle in tight you can pop a ton of rounds with no issues.

Buy the cheap FMJ for target practice and shoot all day. It'll be corrosive so you'll need to perform an extra step while cleaning (super hot water).
    D.

I had not heard about the hot water, I was told to clean the barrel afterwards with regular cleaner, use a bore snake and oil it afterwards. Can you tell me more about that?

I am going to shoot it tomorrow (wednesday) at Elk neck state park

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I had not heard about the hot water, I was told to clean the barrel afterwards with regular cleaner, use a bore snake and oil it afterwards. Can you tell me more about that?

I am going to shoot it tomorrow (wednesday) at Elk neck state park

corrosive ammo has salts in it. The salts essentially act like little sponges to trap water against the steel and rust it quick. If you want to get rid of salt buildup on metal, hot water does the trick pretty well. If you dump a bunch of salt into water, and want the water to hold it in solution to carry it away, heat the water and it'll be able to hold more salt. What does this mean for you and cleaning your mosin?

1) Shoot it and smile at the big boom
    2) while still at the range, spray a bunch of windex into the barrel. The water will dissolve the salts and the ammonia will both work a little to clean the copper fouling and also help the water evaporate cleanly. When i say a bunch...i mean like keep pulling the lever on the windex bottle until the windex is pouring out of the muzzle.
    3) Have a dedicated "dirty" bore snake for pulling salts out of the barrel and run it through. Put some oil on the trailing tail of it to treat the barrel to limit corrosion
    4) get home
    5) unscrew barreled action from stock. while brewing plain water in coffee maker/pot.
    6) go outside, hold barreled action with pot holder(with bolt removed) and pour boiling water into the chamber. It'll dissolve the salts in the barrel and flush them out. I rotate the barrel to get the hot water to contact the entire inside of the bore. After a pot or two of hot water, the barrel should be pretty flushed and look relatively clean.
    7) take bolt apart and put in the sink. Scrub with a toothbrush in hot/soapy water. Rinse off with hot water.

**the hot water will aid in flushing salt, but it will also heat the metal and help all the water on the metal evaporate, preventing that water from corroding things**

8) Dry off excess water and then clean like anything else

...like anything else...

1) Run a patch of accelerator up the bore, using a bore guide/ quality 1-piece rod/ patch jag
    2) Foam wipe-out into the bore and angle down, allowing it to drip onto a paper plate/ rag.
    3) Come back in an hour or so and run some clean patches chamber to muzzle until they're clean
    4) accelerator + foam again
    5) wait half hour then run more patches. If they're clean, you're good, if they're fouled, accelerator and wipeout then leave overnight...repeat until clean.
    6) once clean, hit exterior surfaces with eezox and interior with tetra lube/grease

damosan

Feb 21, 2009

If you're shooting the old surplus stuff (which you should be) then you'll need to take care of the corrosive salts left in the bore. You'll see a lot of experts tell you about various magic recipes or whatnot but at the end of the day it comes down to water. You gotta rinse / dissolve the salts from the bore.

Folks will say spray it down with ammonia based Windex at the range or whatnot. I live about 45 minutes from the range so don't bother hosing the bore down at all.

Once I get home I boil some water and pour it into a disposable baking pan. I throw the bolt into the water to dissolve/remove the salts. Then I take a bore brush, wrap a patch around it and then dunk it into the hot water. Then I start running 3-4 really wet patches through the bore.

Then comes the bore brush a few times. Then comes a dry patch.

Then I drown a few patches in Hoppes and run those through and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.

Then more bore brush, more patches, etc. Remove the bolt from the water, dry it all off. Done.

It works for me -- I've fired it a few times, cleaned it all up, and no rust. Don't be afraid of corrosive ammo. :)

D.

PMKMD

Jul 13, 2010
    Thanks on the info on how to wash the gun, I was just told to use Hoppe, I. Have to see how my barrel looks, it has been a few months sinc I shot it.

Pmk

Zombie_013

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 30, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    corrosive ammo has salts in it. The salts essentially act like little sponges to trap water against the steel and rust it quick. If you want to get rid of salt buildup on metal, hot water does the trick pretty well. If you dump a bunch of salt into water, and want the water to hold it in solution to carry it away, heat the water and it'll be able to hold more salt. What does this mean for you and cleaning your mosin?

1) Shoot it and smile at the big boom
    2) while still at the range, spray a bunch of windex into the barrel. The water will dissolve the salts and the ammonia will both work a little to clean the copper fouling and also help the water evaporate cleanly. When i say a bunch...i mean like keep pulling the lever on the windex bottle until the windex is pouring out of the muzzle.
    3) Have a dedicated "dirty" bore snake for pulling salts out of the barrel and run it through. Put some oil on the trailing tail of it to treat the barrel to limit corrosion
    4) get home
    5) unscrew barreled action from stock. while brewing plain water in coffee maker/pot.
    6) go outside, hold barreled action with pot holder(with bolt removed) and pour boiling water into the chamber. It'll dissolve the salts in the barrel and flush them out. I rotate the barrel to get the hot water to contact the entire inside of the bore. After a pot or two of hot water, the barrel should be pretty flushed and look relatively clean.
    7) take bolt apart and put in the sink. Scrub with a toothbrush in hot/soapy water. Rinse off with hot water.

**the hot water will aid in flushing salt, but it will also heat the metal and help all the water on the metal evaporate, preventing that water from corroding things**

8) Dry off excess water and then clean like anything else

...like anything else...

1) Run a patch of accelerator up the bore, using a bore guide/ quality 1-piece rod/ patch jag
    2) Foam wipe-out into the bore and angle down, allowing it to drip onto a paper plate/ rag.
    3) Come back in an hour or so and run some clean patches chamber to muzzle until they're clean
    4) accelerator + foam again
    5) wait half hour then run more patches. If they're clean, you're good, if they're fouled, accelerator and wipeout then leave overnight...repeat until clean.
    6) once clean, hit exterior surfaces with eezox and interior with tetra lube/grease

Thanks for that! I will be the guy with windex at the range.

chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys
    I guess I'll jump in with my .02. If you want to DRAMATICALLY reduce the pain, get a slip on buttpad. Eventually you get to the point where you don't even need it. Heck, if you brace it against your forearm correctly it's very easy to shoot like a pistol :D Takes a little extra forearm strength though, especially when your trying to hold the 91/30 straight.

The surplus ammo is cheap ($80 for 440 in a spam can?) and it is amazingly accurate for the price.

Yes, the mosin makes an amazing hunting rifle.

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    One more thing if you shoot the M44 it will be much more accurate with the bayonet fully extended out rather than folded to the side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom