Shot a Bow for the first time and liked it...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    So last night we met with some new friends who are bow freaks and invited us to their weekly indoor bow shoot. It was at a shop outside Gettysburg, I'm sorry can't remember the name. The guy working there did a great job of helping my wife and I with our first bow draw and shoot.

That said here are some questions:

1) Some day I could see myself getting into hunting for sustenance. Is this practical with a bow? I don't really care about time spent as I waste a lot of time on stupid stuff now. How much time would I need to spend to render enough deer meat to make this worth it? I guess what I am asking is it just for the thrill of the hunt or is there practical means to gain from bow hunting?

2) One of the things that draws me to the bow is that it seems more safe than firearms. Is that true?

3) Practically how much would it cost to get into this hobby for hunting? From what I have read it's about $500 + ammo + cold weather gear + whatever for firearms. Is bow hunting vs. firearm more economical?

4) Any other advice or pointers that I've missed? Next year I may be looking at getting into this if all goes well with my school schedule. I could be ready to commit to this come November of 2015.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    You will need to practice quite a bit to be sure you are proficient enough to score a clean hit on a deer. Most people I know won't shoot past about 45 yards even if they are capable of shooting farther. Realistically all you would need would be a bow and some camo. Bow season is earlier and usually not that cold at first so there is that. You might want a tree stand as well. It can cost as little or as much as you want to spend. There is no reason why you couldn't just get a bow and rig up a ground blind in a likely spot to try it before buying a tree stand.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    1) Bow season in Md. goes from early September to January 31 ie: long season.
    2) You can shoot in your back yard
    3)You can go minimalistic to sky's the limit(I tend to the sky's the limit).
    4) Learning to shoot a bow adequately is easy. Learning to hunt deer with a bow takes a good deal of learning and dedication. Get used to frustration. It will be your constant companion. I've been bow hunting for over 30 years. BTW, everything legal to hunt in Md., can be hunted with a bow.:brows:

Last edited:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Bow hunting is harder and takes more practice than firearms ... that's what made bow obsolete in most warfare ... firearms are easier for the untrained and semi-trained to learn and recall.

I like archery, because it takes more practice and concentration. If you heart's not in it, it will be continually frustrating.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    From my experience bow hunting costs me more than rifle hunting. You do get a much longer season and the experience of harvesting deer with the bow is much more rewarding than doing it with the rifle. Archery is very addicting and fun and you will find your self always tinkering to improve your setup. If you do decide to get into it stay away from big box stores and go to a real archery shop where they will measure you for a proper fit and let you shoot several different bows.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    1) Bow season in Md. goes from early September to February 31 ie: long season.
    4) Learning to shoot a bow adequately is easy. Learning to hunt deer with a bow takes a good deal of learning and dedication. Get used to frustration. It will be your constant companion. I've been bow hunting for over 30 years. BTW, everything legal to hunt in Md., can be hunted with a bow.:brows:

You might want to check on your #2
    I'm almost positive that most incorporated cities in Maryland have laws against shooting a bow inside city limits.
    I'm trying to find a link.

dapefley

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Hughesville MD
    I just picked up a bow (diamond outlaw) for the first time and LOVED it. I like the fact that you can shoot in your backyard too, without anyone noticing.. HAHA

OP, get one, I doubt you will be disappointed.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I hope this helps:

1) Yes bow hunting is worth it. The season is much longer for bow hunting (Sept - Jan, 5 months) than it is for gun hunting (1 week rifle, 1 week shotgun, 1 week muzzle loader, approximately). It is also more peaceful and less crowded. Here's a calendar. You are going to need a blind or a tree stand ($100-$200 used, buy a good one and a safety harness) 3 deer a year and a freezer and you're all set. Learn to skin and process the deer yourself, otherwise expect to spend $120 a deer for a butcher to process it for you.

2) They're both safe. The biggest threat is falling out of a tree stand. You will feel safer with bow hunting because you won't see as many people. Opening day of gun season will look like a civil war reenactment on public hunting lands.

3) Cost? Wow that can vary a lot. If you want to be cheap: 1)$300 used bow with arrows, etc. 2) $200 on clothing (use existing winter clothing and buy over sized camo to cover up with - 2nd greatest risk is hypothermia)

4) Other pointers - practice. You want to consistently hit a paper plate from no more than 25 feet. Let the deer get as close as possible, than whack them. You will want to get a good practice block or bale of hay.

If Twanger comments on this thread, listen to him, not me. He is one of the most prolific bow hunters in MD. The guy is a machine! He is extremely experienced! We joke that his flatulence attracts deer.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    1) Bow season in Md. goes from early September to February 31 ie: long season.

I'm almost positive that most incorporated cities in Maryland have laws against shooting a bow inside city limits.

You may want to check on your #1 also. :innocent0

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    So last night we met with some new friends who are bow freaks and invited us to their weekly indoor bow shoot. It was at a shop outside Gettysburg, I'm sorry can't remember the name. The guy working there did a great job of helping my wife and I with our first bow draw and shoot.

That said here are some questions:

1) Some day I could see myself getting into hunting for sustenance. Is this practical with a bow? I don't really care about time spent as I waste a lot of time on stupid stuff now. How much time would I need to spend to render enough deer meat to make this worth it? I guess what I am asking is it just for the thrill of the hunt or is there practical means to gain from bow hunting?

I have been eating venison as my primary red meat for many, many years. I take advantage of bowseason to allow me much more time afield to put meat in the freezer and I can tell you that I haven't bought red meat at a store for more years than I can count on my fingers and toes.. so yes, you can sustain yourself if you put the time in and have access to decent hunting grounds.

2) One of the things that draws me to the bow is that it seems more safe than firearms. Is that true?

Yes, as most of us hunt from a stand (an elevated position, shooting at the ground), there is much less chance of an incident while bowhunting, just be sure to POSITIVELY identify your target and the area behind it before loosing an arrow. Really no different than the rules of gunning, but... boolits can carry a long way.. ricochet, etc.. arrows don't

3) Practically how much would it cost to get into this hobby for hunting? From what I have read it's about $500 + ammo + cold weather gear + whatever for firearms. Is bow hunting vs. firearm more economical?

Close for either.. you need to spend some $$$ to get setup, but realistically, unless you are one that has to have the latest, greatest every year, then you can get by for an initial outlay in equipment and arrows and then add arrows from season to season as you need. I buy a dozen shafts and build new arrows every couple of years to make up for ones that have been lost or damaged and spend some money on new broadheads or new blades for replaceable blade units, but other than that, there is not a lot of need season to season. That said, many want a new bow every couple years and that costs $$$ now.. lol

4) Any other advice or pointers that I've missed? Next year I may be looking at getting into this if all goes well with my school schedule. I could be ready to commit to this come November of 2015.

Practice, practice practice.. archery is not as easy as picking up a gun and learning to hit a target. Your range is severely limited compared to a rifle or shotgun, your ability is totally dependent on how well you have ingrained the skills into your memory and it becomes a subconscious effort to draw, aim and release a well placed shot. Be prepared to shoot all summer long to be ready for early bowseason and have the confidence to properly execute and not just be one that goes out 'flinging arrows at deer with a bow'. You will be very disappointed if you don't put the time in to become proficient.
    All that said, I have been bowhunting since I was a kid back in the late 70's. I love it, have been to Montana, Texas and all over MD bowhunting and have never lost the passion and challenge that comes from a successful bowhunt. It isn't easy, it takes a lot of time, effort and practice, but the rewards are well worth it all!

In Md, you can hunt from early September, when the deer are still in their summer feeding patterns, until the end of January, almost 5 months of deer hunting. You don't have to limit your bowhunting to deer. I shoot groundhogs, as many with a bow as with a rifle (and I hunt them actively with a rifle, simply encounter them while bowhunting), I have taken hogs, several species of deer, elk and tons of small game with a bow and arrow. I remember every hunt, always have fun trying, go many hunts at times without a shot, but every now and then, it all comes together and you get that once in a lifetime shot at a real trophy with bow and arrow and it makes it all worthwhile.

If you are up for it, give it a try... ;)

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    One more suggestion... seek out an archery club nearby and take advantage of the help and guidance you can get from other archers. The archery community is extremely helpful, if you ask. Check out this link, find a nearby club and seek advice. I have been shooting competitively for years and probably shot at every club in MD and my experience has always been the same. The locals will help you if you will let them.. they have a wealth of experience and that is an invaluable tool to a new shooter. They will guide you, coach you and help you to become a very proficient archer.

http://www.md-archery.org/md_clubs.htm

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    It's been a while since I hunted in Maryland, last I did it ended January 31st

In Charles and Saint Marys, it ends 3/31 because of the Sunday deer hunting law.

Everywhere else, its 1/31

Bow season is great when you dont have to freeze your butt off :)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Last I heard, in MoCo, you can shoot as long as you have a 8'x8' solid back stop. A shed would do nicely.;)

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    All great advice :thumbsup:
    I got back into archery when my daughter wanted to try it. Now after she 'personalized' her bow, we're broke :D She's not ready to hunt deer yet, but she's hinting at turkey hunting. It's a fun time, just go to a good shop to get set up, practice, be safe and enjoy.

svana

NRA Life Member
    Dec 28, 2012
    Sterling, VA
    A question along the lines of the costs associated: Are the new bows/new bow technology worth the additional costs compared to buying a used bow? I feel like those bows were still killing deer years ago just fine. Is there a limit on how old of a bow you'd pick up if it was in good condition and all things being equal (both compound single cams for example)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom