• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Are they worth the effort,wait and reduction in capacity?

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      65.9 KB · Views: 1,542

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    What reduction in capacity?

SBS1.jpg

It's not mine, just a pic I found, but I like it. It's like a Krink but better.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have a 13" Saiga 12 SBS, and it's pretty awesome. I think shotguns gain a lot from going short, especially since velocity tends to not take such a huge hit, but the capacity issue is worrisome. That's why I love magazine-fed shotguns like the Saiga 12 and Valtro PM5.

I've been thinking about doing a 12.5" 870 SBS build using the Black Aces Tactical receiver (when it's released late this year / early next year) to fix the capacity issue. My guess is that my best bet is to wait for a cheap 870 Wingmaster or Police, do the build on that, and then do the SBS paperwork when I feel comfortable with the performance.

I think people underestimate the appeal of a pump-action, mag-fed shotgun, especially with recoil-reduction stocks. In Swarengen's old-but-authoritative book "The World's Fighting Shotguns", there are prototype pump-action shotguns that are mag fed... if his account is correct, it was only the end of the Vietnam War and some screw-ups by the USMC brass that prevented them from full development and possible service.

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    8" Tromix S17...been known to burn the hairs off your arm.

20131112_205554_zps3b4bf946.jpg

A while ago I found these 2 beauties on the interwebz. I've been looking for a used 870 Police to turn into a copy of the one on the right. I love the happy face end cap.

0fdd33b6672e69c4599ee74769b4eb41_zps1d7cc5f9.jpg

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    One of these days I'll cut down the 1893 vintage shotgun I have in the basement. Until I can find some documentation that proves it's pre-1899, I'm not doing anything.

But I'm really drooling over this guy:
    12%20inch%201100-2.jpg

Vince55

Vince55
    Aug 10, 2010
    Lusby, Md
    Guess I'm old fashioned. MIne at home is similar to this one. Double triggers, double hammers.

Attachments

• Coach gun.jpg
      Coach gun.jpg
      5.1 KB · Views: 830

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Ive seen hickock45 shoot a Benelli M2 SBS on youtube. Whacking steel at 175 yards with slugs. looks like a lot of fun. That 14" barrel didnt do anything to hurt accuracy or affect shot patterns negatively.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Other than the self shots, do you take your own pics? Have always admired your smithing (that I've seen here on the website), but part of it is also really impressive photography - veritable gun art.

Fidelity,

You re very kind. Thank you. I was an artist of sorts in my youth, so "artsy" things often come naturally to me. Its something I try to avoid outside of Gun related things because I am a polar opposite to most "artsy" people.

Yes, all of the photographs I post are my own. Most of them are taken with a Droid Smart Phone, nothing fancy. The key to good photos is mostly backdrop and lighting IMO. I only take pictures outside with good light. You dont want direct light that created shadows, you want a overcast day.

Beyond that its making sure the gun is oiled and clean (Lint Free) and having a good background. If your taking close shots be sure to use the Macro Setting.

From there you can add borders, crop, enhance, add filters, and such using Instagram or Photobucket.

I understood long ago that its hard to sell your work if you dont display it properly and put your heart into your work.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Fidelity,

You re very kind. Thank you. I was an artist of sorts in my youth, so "artsy" things often come naturally to me. Its something I try to avoid outside of Gun related things because I am a polar opposite to most "artsy" people.

Yes, all of the photographs I post are my own. Most of them are taken with a Droid Smart Phone, nothing fancy. The key to good photos is mostly backdrop and lighting IMO. I only take pictures outside with good light. You dont want direct light that created shadows, you want a overcast day.

Beyond that its making sure the gun is oiled and clean (Lint Free) and having a good background. If your taking close shots be sure to use the Macro Setting.

From there you can add borders, crop, enhance, add filters, and such using Instagram or Photobucket.

I understood long ago that its hard to sell your work if you dont display it properly and put your heart into your work.

Easy to compliment anonymously. I'm more circumspect in person. I thought that there was bokeh in some of your shots so was convinced you were using an SLR. I need to work on my phone photography skills based on what you're doing with your Droid.

Your art background explains a lot. I suppose that one can be a pretty successful smith purely through technical virtuosity, but to be exceptional, one needs a creative eye. What is apparent in your work is that the artistry is not simply cosmetic. Form is manipulated to achieve better function (i.e. the technical and artistic strengths reinforce each other). Your new shotgun shell using firearm is a prime example - with both the 500 and 870 derived guns - you've boiled down their essences, reinforcing strong clean lines, but also created a tool that can be quickly brought on to a close range target. As Blaster immediately noted when you revealed the new work, you even beat Hollywood in that your weapon has more visual appeal than Denzel's in The Book of Eli (hockey tape notwithstanding).

In any case, I'm going to sign on to your list in the thread for a 20 gauge, if a decision is made to move it to production. As gun art from a limited run, it's probably underpriced.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Are they worth the effort,wait and reduction in capacity?

Different design aesthetic from the shotgun shell pistols, but appealing as well (as are your other toys!). Something that you had made? Apologies if it's something obvious; I'm still learning.

Nov 3, 2013
    in the water
    So, after reading through the 51 pages of the "No More SBR's" thread, I'm uncertain about the future of Maryland SBS's. Are they still good to go, or is their future as clear (:lol2:) as SBR AR's?

SBS Pr0n for your time:

870.jpg

norm.php

Cover-Shot.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads