• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    Constructive intent... dont do it( unless you already have a registered SBR lower, AR15 pistols are not allowed in MD)

i meant if i have a lower that is registered sbr i can have a 9mm and 5.56 upper for that one lower.... correct?

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Sure you can..... It is also a good point, if you are going to make an SBR lower to specify other calibers: All the conversion calibers that you want to run on that sbr lower.
    Stating " Multicaliber" on the form 1 doesnt cut it anymore.BATFE will send your application back resulting in a couple more months of delay. I usually put 5.56, 22CAL ( for 22lr, 5.7FN), 9mm on it to cover my bases.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I have an a3 h-bar 16". Wanted to mod. ....Shit.
    !

yeah and imagine how pissed i was when i figured out i couldn't put a grip-pod on my sp22m3. that would be so badass. foregrip to keep it nice and stable and a bipod to do precision shootin the easy way. it's cool, but not $200+ AOW cool

rondon600

Mar 16, 2009
    The problem is Select Fire in Glen Burnie charges almost $300 for a Spikes Tactical stripped lower after taxes and xfer cost. At least that was the deal during all the panic buys last winter after the election. Most stripped lowers range $89-$250 plus shipping for anyone. Im sure a dealer like Select Fire pays even less (but apparently not).

Just order the lower from Spikes (or insert mfr of choice) directly and have it shipped to a friendly gun store like Gun Connection. They will take good care of the xfer. If you wish to pursue SBR talk to them too. You will have to have Gun Connection call Spikes because Spikes will likely not see that they already have GCs FFL on file but its a simple phone call heads up and your done till it arrives. Upon arrival its 7 day wait after paperwork. If you go SBR Im unsure what the wait will be.

boatbiologist

Nov 6, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    The $700.00 for a stripped SBR lower is a bit high but not unreasonable.
    especially If it were a Colt or some other premium brand.

An Stripped SBR lower simply means that this particular receiver has been thru all the required paperwork and has been classified / documented by the BATFE as Registered SBR.( It is entered into the NFA registry) To transfer it only requires the standard form 3 ( dealer to dealer) or form 4 ( Dealer to civilian purchaser)

You can make your own registered sbr lower but that requires some additional steps in addition to just paying a 200.00 stamp. Form 1, fingerprints, cjis cards, MSP- Cleo sign off, waiting, engraving, waiting --- more waiting.

It takes an average of :
    200.00 tax stamp
    18.00 MSP/CJIS
    10.00 Regulated MSP fee
    15.00 Prints
    24.00 pictures
    10.00 postage
    40.00 Gas
    ?????? Your time/ day off to process paperwork
    100.00 engraving ( your info/ refinishing)

$417.oo Subtotal ( not including the value of your time)
    235.00 Standard Milspec AR lower, taxes, fees out the door

$652.00 dollars( To do it yourself)

To convert a standard receiver into a registered SBR. You still save about 300.00 bucks if you do it yourself but that savings is offset by the amount of time it takes to process paperwork. If you purchase the SBR lower at 700.00, you still have to pay the $200.00 stamp and all the misc fees , that put that lower at about 975.00 bucks instead of around 650.00 if you do it yourself. NFA is an expensive hobby.... every dollar you save allows you to buy more stuff. LOL

Your math is making me dizzy. Weather you form 1 (do it yourself) or form 4 individual transfer, you have the same expenses, minus only the engraving. Your $100 should buy the best engraving job possible. I don't see how that adds up to nearly $700. Was the OP suggesting that select fire was covering the stamp and expenses? Shit, they charged me $20 for taking my passport pic with their camera for a new can I was buying from them.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Boatbiologist,

700.00 for the SBR lower
    200.00 For the tax Stamp
    75.00 ( Approximately)for pictures, MSP fee, taxes, CJIS, FP cards, tax
    _________
    975.00 ( Form 4 transfer) (If you buy this lower from Select Fire)

Compared to:

200.00 tax stamp
    18.00 MSP/CJIS
    10.00 Regulated MSP fee
    15.00 Prints
    24.00 pictures
    10.00 postage
    40.00 Gas
    ?????? Your time/ day off to process paperwork
    100.00 engraving ( your info/ refinishing)

$417.oo Subtotal ( not including the value of your time)
    235.00 Standard Milspec AR lower, taxes, fees out the door

$652.00 dollars( To do it yourself, Form 1)

TAX STAMP INCLUDED IN BOTH METHODS

06MegaCTD

Mar 16, 2009
    Hanover
    ok i was confused, so if i didn't own any lowers or complete AR's right now i could go ahead and say buy a 11.5 inch BCM upper from them with no issues just get it sent to the house, no paperwork, no nothing needed, but before i attach it to a lower i would need a tax stamp from the NFA stating which lower it will go on and have that lower engraved.

06MegaCTD

Mar 16, 2009
    Hanover
    and sorry guys about me putting myself out there like an idiot, guess i need to learn to keep my mouth shut about things i am not 110% sure about.

<----- kicks self in the ass

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    and sorry guys about me putting myself out there like an idiot, guess i need to learn to keep my mouth shut about things i am not 110% sure about.

<----- kicks self in the ass

Sometimes we learn from tohers mistakes. If noone put themselves out there we'd have nothing to talk about or anyone to laugh at.:innocent0

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    One minor clarification, the barrel can be engraved instead of the lower.

Engraving the barrel can not be substituted for engraving the receiver. ( Engraving the barrel only applies to the HBAR BS in Maryland)

The BATFE has specific requirements for engraving the lower. One can consult with the BATFE/NFA Technology Branch to clarify any questions.Call them and ask for the Technology branch and If in doubt, get it in writing.

We can make mistakes in many things in life and write that off as a learning experience. But making a mistake when it comes to NFA matters makes one an instant felon.Ignorance of the law is no excuse. If prosecuted and convicted, one can lose everyhing.

So Guys, Please be careful out there when dealing with NFA stuff.

Andras

Aug 12, 2008
    Charles Co.
    479.102 (a)(2)
    stamping (impressing), or otherwise
    conspicuously placing or
    causing to be engraved, cast,
    stamped (impressed), or placed
    on the frame, receiver, or barrel
    thereof certain additional information.
    This information must be
    placed in a manner not susceptible
    of being readily obliterated, altered
    or removed. For firearms
    manufactured, imported, or made
    on and after January 30, 2002,
    the engraving, casting, or stamping
    (impressing) of this information
    must be to a minimum depth
    of .003 inch. The additional information
    includes:
    (i) The model, if such designation
    has been made;
    (ii) The caliber or gauge;
    (iii) Your name (or recognized
    abbreviation) and also,
    when applicable, the name of
    the foreign manufacturer or
    maker;

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    That may work with a firearm with a barrel attached to a trunion like an AK or HK.You can't really swap out uppers on these guns. But how will that work on an AR? I would still say go with the traditional way. Engrave the receiver, not the barrel.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Sure you can..... It is also a good point, if you are going to make an SBR lower to specify other calibers: All the conversion calibers that you want to run on that sbr lower.
    Stating " Multicaliber" on the form 1 doesnt cut it anymore.BATFE will send your application back resulting in a couple more months of delay. I usually put 5.56, 22CAL ( for 22lr, 5.7FN), 9mm on it to cover my bases.

What if one were to want a .300 Whisper as well? If so:

- .22 CAL would cover (.221 Fireball, .223 Rem, 5.56 NATO, .22 LR/L/S, and others.
    - .30 CAL would cover 7.62x*, .300 Fireball, 9mm, etc.
    - .45 CAL would cover .458 SOCOM, .45 ACP, etc

Correct?

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    What if one were to want a .300 Whisper as well? If so:

- .22 CAL would cover (.221 Fireball, .223 Rem, 5.56 NATO, .22 LR/L/S, and others.
    - .30 CAL would cover 7.62x*, .300 Fireball, 9mm, etc.
    - .45 CAL would cover .458 SOCOM, .45 ACP, etc

Correct?

I dont see why not. except for 9mm isnt a 30 cal.

Or you can write NFA branch and ask them to update the calibers associated with your SBR lower on the registry.:)

CKOD

Jan 30, 2009
    Hah, this thread blew up...
    I agree with SCAR about how it all adds up... I want to do a SBR suppressed 10/22, and thats $400 in tax stamps alone, thats > $1k for aftermarket barrel, reciever, suppressor and taxes. :o No stock, no trigger, no internals, no optic.

As for engraving... +1 to just put it on the lower, if you put it on the barrel, where does your engraving go when you take your 10.5" 5.56 upper off and put your shiny new 8" 9mm upper? You cant engrave 2 barrels, because only one can be on the registered lower "permanently" Though you could try and get a marking variance like KAC uses (I think, if I'm remembering right) They have the info engraved to meet the spec under the pistol grip, and laser etched on the side of the reciever (which doesnt meet the depth requirement but looks a lot nicer then a roll mark)

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I dont see why not. except for 9mm isnt a 30 cal.

Or you can write NFA branch and ask them to update the calibers associated with your SBR lower on the registry.:)

I wonder if it wold be kosher to put 17-50 cal, or if you have to spell out everything, 17,20,22,5.45mm,5.56mm,6mm,6.5mm.6.8mm,7mm,30,7.62,338,9mm,40,45,458,50

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I wonder if it wold be kosher to put 17-50 cal, or if you have to spell out everything, 17,20,22,5.45mm,5.56mm,6mm,6.5mm.6.8mm,7mm,30,7.62,338,9mm,40,45,458,50

If you have an AR SBR lower with all those markings. Sweet! That is a first.
    And if you have all those SBR uppers to go with the lower...... I'm not really :bowdown:sure how to respond. :bowdown::bowdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom