• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I don't necessarily have a problem with it... but I don't. I shoot only XM193/XM855 through my BCM upper. I'm sure a mag or two of PMC or Wolf has been run through it (I let friends and other people of the range try my rifle from time to time with their ammo), and it hasn't had any problems.

When I shoot the Federal XM (Lake City) ammo, I don't pick up the brass. I haven't reloaded for a while and if you buy it in bulk, you can usually get it for the same price or maybe a few cents per round over the steel stuff. When I finally get around to a precision AR (either LaRue OBR or Mk12 clone) I will develop my own load for it and shoot only that.

For blasting/plinking off-hand the milsurp is where it's at. However I run Wolf/Russian steel-case almost exclusively though my SLR-106FR and again, have not had issues. The newer polymer-coated grey steel ammo is not as bad as the old brown lacquer-coated stuff. The only thing you're really likely to damage in your AR when shooting steel is the extractor, and any high-volume shooter should have a spare extractor or complete bolt (or complete BCG if you're really well prepared) on hand anyway when taking a class.

Uppercase

Jun 11, 2011
    Shoot Russian steel pretty much exclusively through my colt, has never had a malfunction to date. Has good enough accuracy for what I use it for as well, able to hit 66% IPSC torso at 300 yards pretty consistently with no magnification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom