• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    I had a heck of a time when I had to wear glass after 40 years without them. Could not get my round face on the stock where I see the sights. A wise shooter that was in my group told me I need to get a single lens pair of glasses.
    The focal point should be the tip of your out reached finger. This only cost me 35 bucks for shooting glasses. It really helps

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Good luck. I bought new transitions lens glasses before we went on vacation. I couldn't get used to them and haven't worn them since. I shoot with my old glasses. How long has he had his new glasses. I think it takes a while to get used to seeing with them. I also shoot a bushmaster AR-15. Nice gun. Hopefully after a week or so of wearing his new glasses he will be ok!

I had a similar issue. Get your bifocals and put them in a drawer and leave them there. Wear your transitions. It takes a bit of getting used to them but you will. I did and if a cranky fart like me can, you should be able to.

Transitions are great for shooting. I was having issues with the bifocals too. With transitions you have infinite range of focus making it much easier to shoot with iron sights.
    Give it a run. You'll get used to them.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    My prescription was at walmart so they had it on fill.

If you reach your hand straight out in front of your nose. Stick your finger up. This will be very close to the front sight distance on most rifles give or take a few inches. The focal spot will still be in range with your glasses and you will not have to take a rifle to the eye doctors.

I believe one of the three lens in my trifocals was at this distance. It was easy to get that lens made into a cheap set of frames.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    I have a conversation going on with a Eye doctor in Severna Park. He suggested putting the Near portion on top of the lens instead of the bottom? Sounds like a good idea, any thoughts on this?

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    I have a conversation going on with a Eye doctor in Severna Park. He suggested putting the Near portion on top of the lens instead of the bottom? Sounds like a good idea, any thoughts on this?

There must be a very good reason why trifocals are set up the way the are.

Just having the near lens in a set of cheap frames that are just for shooting is got to be a lot cheaper then trifocals. Having one lens to look through should let you keep your natural point of aim and will not have you fighting for the correct lens to look through. Walmart did my shooting glasses for 35 bucks. What is that a trip to the gun range? Two boxes of ammo? This is a cheap expanse for our shooting gear.

jcochrane

Sergeant
    Nov 26, 2008
    Cumberland, MD
    Any Maryland Shooters who are also opticians?

Gentlemen <grin>,
    I need to have a set of prescription shooting glasses made. I'd like to have this done by an optician who understands what a "cheek weld" is and has shot at a 200 yard target while looking through the top edge of a pair of glasses. (I wear bifocals of necessity.)
    Does anyone know of an actual highpower/service rifle shooter who is an optician in the Maryland area? I live in Cumberland, up in Western Maryland, but would be willing to travel the state, or Western PA. to locate someone who could halp me.
    Jay Cochrane

Winebike

May 11, 2009
    I've use www.replacealens.com many times to have new lenses cut for my old frames. If you have some frames you don't use but like, an alternative to buying new frames is to send an old pair of frames to Replace-A-Lens in Denver. Their prices are very good. Have them put in your normal prescription on your non-dominant side. For your shooting eye, get a prescription from your eye doctor for "computer" lenses (i.e. arms length focal point - so you see the front sight) and use that prescription for your dominant eye.

You can take a plastic gun into your eye doctor to get the right focal distance to the front sight or you can measure it at home and just let your doctor know the distance that you want it to be.

In practice, your brain will integrate the images from both eyes so you can see both far and near (monocular vision). It works well for me and others I know. Unlike bifocals, you don't have to tilt your head up or down to focus on the front sight which is a big plus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom