• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I took the new version of steel target shooting quiz and the quiz was on point. Meaning that the quiz wasn’t set up to make people fail. Fairly simple and thats how it should be for paying members.

I am most likely going to buy the steel target they sell at AGC because it takes all the guess work out of what to buy and it’s convenient. Also gonna guessing it’s quality. However, I want to see how cheaper I can get it from online and if I can something better or different for same or better price.

Any suggestions?

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I took the new version of steel target shooting quiz and the quiz was on point. Meaning that the quiz wasn’t set up to make people fail. Fairly simple and thats how it should be for paying members.

I am most likely going to buy the steel target they sell at AGC because it takes all the guess work out of what to buy and it’s convenient. Also gonna guessing it’s quality. However, I want to see how cheaper I can get it from online and if I can something better or different for same or better price.

Any suggestions?

Give a lot of thought to what kind of shooting you're going to want to do. AGC sells an 8 inch round, a 12 inch round, and a 2/3 IDPA silhouette, which would be sized 12x20. One of these may be just what you want. Or maybe too large, or too small. Much depends on what you want to do with it.

Large enough to see? Small enough to present a challenge?
    Pistol? Rifle? Scope? Iron sights? Rimfire? Centerfire? Both? Thickness? Mounting method?

Shooting Targets 7 and AR500Target
    Solutions.com tend to be 2 decent sources for steel. There's a lot of steel sources out there. Either can give you a good idea of what's available.

TwinTurbskis

professional amateur
    Jun 9, 2020
    Derwood, MD
    The stuff they sell is good but if trying to save money just get a 4' section of 2x4, an angled 2x4 plate hanger, and whatever size steel plate you want. That'll have you set on the 100yd range.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    The stuff they sell is good but if trying to save money just get a 4' section of 2x4, an angled 2x4 plate hanger, and whatever size steel plate you want. That'll have you set on the 100yd range.

Your mention brings something to mind on the 2x4 plate hanger.

AGC has built in permanently mounted ground bases for 2x4's on the 100 yard positions on the Barnes range. The way they are mounted requires that the steel plate hanger is the type where the
    1-1/2 inch skinny side of the 2x4 faces the shooter. Be aware of this as these hangers are made both ways. Buy the incorrect configuration, and it won't work.

A picture is worth 1000 words.....the one pictured here is configured correctly for AGC. Note that the skinny side of the 2x4 will face the shooter with a steel plate mounted.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co

AGC has built in ground bases for 2x4's on the 100 yard positions on the Barnes range. The way they are mounted requires that the steel plate hanger is the type where the
    1-1/2 inch skinny side of the 2x4 faces the shooter. Be aware of this as these hangers are made both ways. Buy the incorrect configuration, and it won't work.

A picture is worth 1000 words.....the one pictured here is configured correctly for AGC. Note that the skinny side of the 2x4 will face the shooter with a steel plate mounted.

^^^ this

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012

AGC has built in permanently mounted ground bases for 2x4's on the 100 yard positions on the Barnes range. The way they are mounted requires that the steel plate hanger is the type where the

Thank you for the info. The hanger is a lot cheaper on price and looks identical. Would this target work. It says 66%, whatever that means.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Thank you for the info. The hanger is a lot cheaper on price and looks identical. Would this target work. It says 66%, whatever that means.

66% targets are so called because the International Practical Shooting Confederation standard target size is 18-1/4 x 30-3/4. What that 66% is telling you is that the steel target is cut to 2/3 of standard IPSC size, or 12 x 20. The idea being smaller size steel, less weight to have to carry, can shorten distance to compensate or keep the same distance to improve skills as desired, etc.

Yes, that 66% target will work as it has a center hole for 2x4 backet mounting, or the availability of 2 outside holes for chain/strap mounting. So it's designed to be universal with regard to mounting options. Some grade 8 hardware, and that mounting bracket and target, and a couple of 4 foot lengths of 2x4, and you'd be good to go.

One other thing I'll mention, especially given the popularity of .223/556 in the AR for banging steel.

To make a long story shorter, the typical velocity of .223 ammo, and the cheaper and most popular versions of 55 grain offerings especially, are right at the threshold of producing 100 yard impact velocities that have the ability to pit AR500 steel. As I do some reloading, and have a chronograph, I've done some experimenting with this to try to determine just where this line is drawn. For the sake of brevity, I've found that impact velocities right around 2750 fps mark and
    below will largely keep AR500 steel from pock mark pitting. This number is a bit lower but is somewhat in the ballpark with what I read as well, though what I typically see mentioned is a somewhat higher "magic number" in the 2800 to 2900 fps (do not exceed impact velocity) range. The latter 2900 number especially, I believe to be too high. At least that's been the case on my AR500 examples.

What is for sure is that these numbers, plus or minus a bit, represent the neighborhood where you'll see that pitting begins.

So, how do you achieve that 2750 and below "magic number"? Heavier bullets for one, with the lower impact velocity inherent to same. Velocity means heat, and it is heat that is the enemy of AR500 steel when it comes to pitting. But there's typically an ammo price difference, with the faster 55 grain "blasting ammo" being the cheaper and most popular stuff. Tamed down handloads can work as well, and that's my option to keep from beating hell out of steel with .223. But not everybody loads their own, or desires to do the homework. Moving your target farther away most certainly works too. But if you're not shooting at 100 yards at AGC, you'd need to be moving to 200 yards. It's one range or the other. There's nothing available in between. And even if that move was desirable, it's oftentimes not possible to accomodate such a move there, as 200 is oftentimes unavailable. So scratch that option perhaps also.

Which brings up AR550 steel...

I've never personally shot a piece of AR550 steel, so my own personal experimentation stops here. But what I have seen is more and more in the way of recommendation for its use with .223/.556.

The link below is another reputable site that offers steel. In this case, options for AR550 steel. The price of this unpainted 12x20 AR550 on discount caught my eye, and might be worth a look. I can't say definitively....
    maybe another member will chime in if they're using 550 themselves, and can comment on whether or not they have seen an appreciable difference with pitting and longevity vs. the more common AR500.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom