• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    I was looking for recommendations for shooting bags. I have a rest to shoot bolt action rifles, but my AR will not fit in the rest. What do some of you guys use? Are there any available locally?

lawrencewendall

Been There, Done That
    Oct 10, 2009
    Saw someone once take about 18" of car/tractor tire inner tube, metal crimp one end, fill it with sand and metal crimp the other end. Pretty redneck but it worked.:o

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    I took an old pair of bdu's and cut the legs off. After sewing the one side i put bags of beans inside and pull the drawstrings tight. Works great and is not as heavy as sandbags.

mdvctry

Follow Me @DukesDefense
    Nov 10, 2011
    I bought bags and a black gun shooting rest from the NRA store. They seem to work pretty well. The shooting rest has plenty of height for extended mags.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    you tried using the 10 rnd mags for shooting? The mag is the main thing that's made bags different to use with ar's for me in the past from how high it forces the rifle over the bench surface.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Those little burlap bags that birdshot comes in work well. If it's just for the AR you could mount a bipod to it.

Samuel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 12, 2012
    Well there are bags, and then there are "bags". If you're looking for real equipment check out the Edgewood Minigator rear bag. And don't fill the bag with play sand, beans, walnut hull, shot, etc. Real shooting bags are supposed to be filled with fine zircon sand, or there's another type of black heavy sand which the name escapes me. Fill the bag with the right stuff. It makes a big difference.

Edgewood also makes nice front bags for your rest but the generic one that came with my Rock BR rest works fine for my needs.

I was out shooting my AR today on that setup. Works real nice

glockfather

May 14, 2012
    Odenton, MD
    I was looking for recommendations for shooting bags. I have a rest to shoot bolt action rifles, but my AR will not fit in the rest. What do some of you guys use? Are there any available locally?

I use sandbags to support the rifle but for small adjustments use a sock full of rice and place it under the rear of the stock. You can make steady adjustments by squeezing the sock.

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    Love the ideas guys! Can't really spring for the Edgewood bags. Just got my C&R, so alot of disposeable income is spoken for. A sock with rice or dried beans sounds like a good idea.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    steal pantyhose from your wife (just need one side, really just a legging). insert in a large sock. fill the hose with airsoft pellets (moisture-proof unlike rice or beans etc). tie off the hose and sock.

works as a front rest, but works real well as a rear rest as you can squeeze it easily with your non-trigger hand to adjust elevation.

JasonB

Ultimate Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Belcamp
    I actually use the rubber device that holds a head up inside a coffin. Depending how you sit it you can get about 4 different heights.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    I actually use the rubber device that holds a head up inside a coffin. Depending how you sit it you can get about 4 different heights.

Um, is that a commonly available item for folks not in the mortuary/funeral home business?

Q

JasonB

Ultimate Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Belcamp
    Whoa - didn't know they were that expensive. I got mine from a friend who's employer uses a couple aluminum caskets for storage.

lseries

Dec 11, 2011
    Basmati rice, particularly the brands imported from India (and the only kind worth cooking, IMHO, but that's another thread), often come in burlap bags. I've never tried it, but t I bet the bags could be recycled as sandbags for shooting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom