• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mdman

Aug 21, 2007
    denver
    hello, I recently was directed here from the TFL and am very glad to have found this place. And to think I thought I was the only one who liked guns in Maryland.

my question is what are the legalities of shooting in my back yard. I have a little more then 5 acres that back up to a government owned reservoir if that matters.

Thanks alot

mdjamesd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Towson
    A friend of mine has 1 acre in hereford zone of baltimore county and he can't shoot within ~ 100 yards of the road, and has to have approval of everyone within 150 yards of where he shoots. If you want, I can find out the specifics of where he found the info.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    mdjamesd--
    Please see if you can find out that info. I have two acres that backs up to Md open space and farms behind that. I don't think any of my neighbors will mind (or even know) when I break out the suppressed 10/22... I just want to be legal.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    There are local laws and restrictions in some areas as well, but as far as the state law referenced....let me go sit on the crapper for a minute to look it up. Be back with the code soon ;)

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Quick crap :D
    Article - Natural Resources

§ 10-410.

(g) A person, other than the owner or occupant, while hunting for any wild bird or mammal may not shoot or discharge any firearm or other deadly weapon within 150 yards, known as the "safety zone," of a dwelling house, residence, church, or other building or camp occupied by human beings, or shoot at any wild bird or mammal while it is within this area, without the specific advance permission of the owner or occupant. During any open hunting season, a person, other than the owner or occupant, may not hunt or chase willfully any wild bird or mammal within the safety zone without the specific advance permission of the owner or occupant.

Mdman

Aug 21, 2007
    denver
    thanks that just what I was looking for and could not find.

and just so im clear that basicaly says that so long as im 150yards away from my neghibors things are ok.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    thanks that just what I was looking for and could not find.

and just so im clear that basicaly says that so long as im 150yards away from my neghibors things are ok.
    Yes, but you should check with local laws as well. Sometimes there is both county and municipal restrictions.
    Also if you are friendly with your neighbors, you can ask their permission if they are too close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom