• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deadshot Doc

Dec 30, 2017
    Hello Everyone! I'm new here and getting into Percussion Revolvers. I'm also discovering that Montgomery County is very restrictive when it comes to shooting! Where is the best place in the area to go to shoot Black Powder? Thanks!

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Not sure where to shoot. Be aware that one of your Montgomery delegates (Duamis) wants to control black powder weapons.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum. Since I live in Harford County, I can't help with any shooting locations.

Welcome to the forum.

Adenosine

Sep 20, 2016
    Hello Everyone! I'm new here and getting into Percussion Revolvers. I'm also discovering that Montgomery County is very restrictive when it comes to shooting! Where is the best place in the area to go to shoot Black Powder? Thanks!

In Montgomery, your best/only option will be the Isaak Walton League ranges. Outdoors, and you'll need to become a member. I have a friend who's a member there and he speaks highly of it, but haven't been myself.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    There are 3 Izaak Walton League ranges in Mo Co.

Rockville (Germantown)
    BCC (Poolesvile)
    Wildlife Achievement (Damascus)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The major limiting factor will be Outdoor range. As you are discovering open to the public outdoor ranges are thin in proximity to MoCo .

Option #1 - Join a Club with outdoor facilities. Look at the above Izak's , and AGC .

Option #2 - Road trip. Elk Neck , Myrtle Grove. Does the recently reopened Cresap allow BP on the open to public day ?

Wild card - A conversion cylnder & smokless ammo can be used in Indoor ranges. ( Must be 21yo , and otherwise Not Prohibited to own firearmsto insert conversion cylnder
    Into a BP revolver , take heed if any apply .)

Deadshot Doc

Dec 30, 2017
    In Montgomery, your best/only option will be the Isaak Walton League ranges. Outdoors, and you'll need to become a member. I have a friend who's a member there and he speaks highly of it, but haven't been myself.

I had reached that conclusion myself! The Damascus group is the range where they do some Cowboy Action Shooting. So I'll probably look into joining there. Was hoping someone would chime in and say...."I have a group of friends that get together and shoot in my pasture alongside the barn." ;)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    No problem Montoya32 , can find you a fine property, and several of us will be glad to join you behind your barn to burn some beltgun charcoal .

halsem

Dec 18, 2017
    There is a muzzle loaders club which shoots rifles and pistols at the Associated Gun Club range in Marriottsville.
    I live in MoCo and used to go there but if you have to belong to the club and pay an annual range fee. Neither are very expensive if I recall but the 30 min drive to the range gets old pretty quick.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Cresap in Frederick does allow BP, but only at 100 yards on the rifle side, so I doubt they'd allow revolver fire, but you never know. Never asked about it for the pistol side.

Joining an IWLA chapter locally is your best bet. Otherwise, it'll require a drive to somewhere like Myrtle Grove WMA if Cresap says "no".

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Or accept that if you live in urban-ish Md , 30min to a quality range isn't long, and join AGC . And gain a club full of fellow BP enthusiasts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom