• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    All,

My understanding of the ATF's current interpretation of using a stabilizing brace on an AR pistol is:

1) It is OK to use as designed (i.e. with your arm through the brace)

2) It is OK to fire from the cheek (i.e. getting a cheek weld against the brace for sighting purposes) without the brace touching your shoulder

3) It is not OK to shoulder the brace (and if you do you have "manufactured" a SBR)

I wanted to make sure that I was current on this, especially point 2 as it seems that the interpretation was a bit dynamic for a while. Assuming this is correct, does anyone shoot this way (from the cheek)?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    There is a letter on it out there. I'm bouncing along in my truck or I'd find it.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Well, I hear you, but it's not enforceable the way a physical requirement is. (Barrel length comes to mind, or 922R parts count.) Just don't shoot on video and you'll be fine. I really don't see them pursuing it.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Well, I hear you, but it's not enforceable the way a physical requirement is. (Barrel length comes to mind, or 922R parts count.) Just don't shoot on video and you'll be fine. I really don't see them pursuing it.

Agreed. These letters are NOT LAW.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    The arm brace is an oddly nuanced thing. As I understand it, everything was fine until some toolbag wrote the ATF and specifically asked if they could put an arm brace on an AR with the intent of firing it from the shoulder. The ATF's response was essentially, if you intend to shoot from the shoulder, then you need to pay $200 and wait half a lifetime. That's how we got to where we are, now. Go shoot your pistol and don't worry about it.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    By the ATFs logic if I bought a rifle with the intent of NOT shouldering it, but rather to fire it one handed holding away from my body then I have just created a handgun... again there are no actual laws telling us the right or wrong way to shoot our pistols.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    What about the 18" barrelled, pistol grip shotguns? Are they shotguns or are they handguns? There's a firearm where you can go back and forth without breaking the law. But how is that?

I'm so confused?!?!?!?!

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Has anyone actually fired one of these things using the brace as designed? How terrible is that? Has to be the WORST way ever.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Has anyone actually fired one of these things using the brace as designed? How terrible is that? Has to be the WORST way ever.

My understanding is it was designed for someone who had no use of his left arm so things could always be worse.

I am thinking long and hard about a CZ Scorpion and I have watched various videos of different braces. The Shockwave is popular with the Scorpion crowd, but I'm not interested in having a hard piece of plastic bounce up and down on my cheek. Thordsen is another one they like.

http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=2316
    http://www.thordsencustoms.com/ar-pistol/cheek-rest-kits/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom