• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    Howdy All!

I’d like to share my process for shooting that I’ve learned through instructor guidance and my own personal success. Not much beats training, nothing beats training with a licensed instructor. I hope this information helps some. I
    DO anticipate roughly 3% thread drift. I’ve watched my success on target and do know that this works.

Thanks!

Pistol Shooting
    Strong Hand

Firm grip with pinky and ring finger. This drives the beaver tail firmly into the web of your thumb.

Remember to check the space between top of hand and bottom of beaver tail on pistol. You do not want to see any space there.

953591c2fb97707e2483aba020ffd68b.jpg

d7d02d6f1d564b39ffbb65c4c13580a8.jpg

Keep middle finger more loose than pinky and ring.

Leave trigger finger loose. This provides dexterity and ease of movement to run your trigger.

Remember when first placing the pistol into your strong hand and applying pressure to your fingers as written above, let your strong hand thumb point slightly upwards to reveal the real estate for your support hand.

52c772ed48272895b6cdd9423b0eb361.jpg

Support Hand

Take the pad of thumb / palm and firmly “weld” this to the open grip area revealed while pistol is firmly grasped in the Strong Hand.

d5458089e68c4eba6d8abf285301655e.jpg

Your Support Hand thumb should be pointing forward, down the muzzle. Do not be afraid to have your thumb touching the slide. The slide will still cycle.

All fingers of your Support Hand grasp your Strong Hand’s fingers. Allow them to fall into their natural location between your Strong Hand fingers.

0e3a0ea264311bb04fac9e71a17fcbc7.jpg

You want the two fists now created to have your middle knuckles of the support hand pointing straight down in line with the muzzle.

2f38a64ef84896e07b39e8b0d750356c.jpg

The Support Hand is to be FIRM in grip strength.

Take your Strong Hand thumb and press it into the fatty pad of your Support Hand thumb.
    The pressure for both thumbs is to be strong.
    Strong Hand thumb pressure is down on Support Hand thumb and into the frame of the pistol.
    Support Hand thumb pressure should be directly into the frame of the pistol.

The index finger of your Support Hand should be pressed into your Strong Hand middle finger while also firmly pressed upwards into the bottom of the trigger guard.

At this point the grip is established.

Stance

Adopt an Isosceles style or Gun Fighter stance. This is -

Feet shoulder width apart, hips squared to target. Both feet flat and below you. Toes on the same “line”. No foot behind another. Squared.

9629cb2628f9bb6ec2d9c4589aa88b1e.jpg

Bend slightly at the knees.

Press your rear end behind you as you raise the pistol.

ece14739365504dca2d51160a8a37bc4.jpg

dc99c6d8a7d9fee8e94ad9df4f1ff45a.png

The most important part of this stance is to maintain your sights level with each other and level with your eye-line. Press your rear end further out to accommodate the pistol to be level with itself and your eye-line.

Press to your target, reach as if you wish to touch the target with your muzzle.

Allow elbows to be extended, yet not hyper extended. DO NOT LOCK ELBOWS. The elbows should not be parallel with the floor but rather slightly pointed downwards.

Breaking the Shot

Relax and slow down. With both eyes open, catch your front sight and focus solely on it.

Your rear sights should be relevant, but only in the fact that we make sure our pistol is square to the target. Your primary focus must be the front sight, your rear sight will be a little more blurry, while your actual target is the blurriest image your eyes processes.

With a hard focus on the front sight, while maintaining the gun level to the target and level to your eyes, begin applying slight pressure to the trigger.

All the way through the trigger breaking process you are focusing on the front sight, and also your breathing. Remember, go slow.

When you hit the wall of the trigger, and your front sight is on your target, exhale and press the trigger straight to the rear.

33fa647fcc1f8fc1df58b184259845f6.jpg

- Brent

Last edited:

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    That's the way I was shown in my carry class, and I shot that way in practice and qualification. My shooting wasn't as good as my usual shooting, and it left my shoulders tired. Basically I felt too stiff and tight. Part of that may have been being watched, that's something I'm not use to.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Well explained and illustrated .

That said , that's * a * method . not The method .

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    That's the way I was shown in my carry class, and I shot that way in practice and qualification. My shooting wasn't as good as my usual shooting, and it left my shoulders tired. Basically I felt too stiff and tight. Part of that may have been being watched, that's something I'm not use to.
    Trying a new thing for a qual (with someone experienced in a different method) doesn't speak well of the instructor. Teaching a new thing and offering time for students to practice it, then allowing them to choose how they shoot for score is, in my biased opinion, a better play.

The soreness is you driving the gun in a different way and using more shoulder muscle than is familiar to you.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Trying a new thing for a qual (with someone experienced in a different method) doesn't speak well of the instructor. Teaching a new thing and offering time for students to practice it, then allowing them to choose how they shoot for score is, in my biased opinion, a better play.

The soreness is you driving the gun in a different way and using more shoulder muscle than is familiar to you.
    Agreed. I don’t penalize or criticize students who already know what their best is.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Re : Shoulder Fatigue

Make sure you are consciously rolling your shoulders back to a relaxed position. Make sure you’re not hunching your neck to get the sights in line with your eyes. Take some videos of yourself drawing and presenting. Check to see if you have any hunch in those locations. After time, you’ll naturally begin presenting with your shoulders back and relaxed. YMMV!

As mentioned, yes, A method, not THE method. But one that does work a lot, at least in my experience. I also prefer isosceles as it gives you more than a two hundred degree swing without having to shift feet to accommodate a target say at your 3 o’clock or 9 o’clock.

Appreciate the kinds words fellas!

- Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Agreed. I don’t penalize or criticize students who already know what their best is.
    If it's a test, let em shoot how they want unless it's somehow unsafe. Success or failure is on them.

I was at an advanced instructor cert class last year and the instructor was a prig about all manipulation and firing being done exactly his way, including on the shooting qual. He issued penalties for anything else. His class I guess, but I can't say I'd go back to or recommend it unless you needed the cert. Unfortunately, few options for that locally.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I had the same experience
    One reason why I don't teach any nra curriculum classes even though I am credentialed to do so. PM me if you need contact info for a more reasonable (and very skilled/experienced TC) guy for your quals.

I can't help on the DCJS side; there's really only a couple places for that. And they know it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

Even with a familar stance , 3-400 rounds with a strong dynamic stance can leave you feeling it , if that's not your usual routine .

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Thanks for posting. One day I'll figure out what I need to do.

Glad to have maybe provided some clarification!! Dry fire a plenty, and that’s free! 9mm is about as cheap as it’s going to be. I run through 300 rounds a week roughly. Practice practice!

Thanks for this. Clear, concise and in one place. Copied and saved.

I’m glad to help! I hope it helps!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Actually Yes ! ( At least if your doing it right ) .

Digression Warning !

The single most common physical conditioning issue is lack of finger (& related hand) strength/ endurance .

IF they have a baseline of being being somewhat able to shoot . it will often show up in the legs .

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Even with a familar stance , 3-400 rounds with a strong dynamic stance can leave you feeling it , if that's not your usual routine .
    Yeah. 400 is a pretty heavy day. Especially if it's under par times or in match.

Driving hard for tight par times up close, where shoulder hunch and death grip on pistol are my go-to, 300 in a short time will definitely leave me with a taste for bourbon and Aleve.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Stance is one of the last things I consider or practice. Sure, a good solid stance will help you through a 300-400 round session, but I'd suggest mixing things up a bit in your training regime and practice shooting from awkward, non standard positions if allowable where you(anyone) shoot. Everything from squatting to standing on tippy-toes. Leaning from side to side and even standing on a single foot. Don't forget prone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom