• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dmacintyre

Jan 13, 2009
    Just bought a revolver, had it sent here, did the paperwork, picked it up last week. Turns out there is an issue with it and it needs to go back to the the dealer for repair. The dealer says USPS is OK but I was under the impression that handguns are a no-no for USPS. Am I mistaken? Any advice about the best legal way to ship it back?

Also, I believe that when it has been repaired, as I have already done the paperwork and transfer through an FFL in MD, it can be shipped back directly to me?

Thanks for any advice.

David

BTW, the gun in question is a lovely Colt Single Action Army but the bolt timing is out so the chamber doesn't center in the loading gate, etc. Here it is :

pix99251250.jpg

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    A FFL can use the USPS but you and I can't. UPS and FedEx are OK, but they require you to ship next day.

You are correct, you can receive the firearm directly from the maker or gunsmith.

dmacintyre

Jan 13, 2009
    A FFL can use the USPS but you and I can't. UPS and FedEx are OK, but they require you to ship next day.

That's what I told them but they disagreed - perhaps trying to save on the overnight shipping or something.

D.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    dmacintyre, who is doing the shipping? You or the FFL? If the FFL is shipping then he can use USPS but they first have to fill out a USPS Form 1508, available online at USPS.com.

sbarber7973

Certified Fat Bastard
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2007
    Hyattsville, MD
    I though that if the pistol was going from the owner to the factory for repair it could be shipped once it is fixed directly back to the owner?

dmacintyre

Jan 13, 2009
    David isn't that the one you were picking up on thursday? It looked so good...sorry about the problem!

Yes, the very same. It's in unfired condition because it can't be fired! Not that I can find any 45lc anyway!

I think it was a genuine oversight - the dealer is going to have it repaired and is reimbursing me for shipping , etc.

D

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    If you want to shoot it ,when you get it back ,let me know with a Pm and I will give you some .45 LC .But better than that Ill meet you, and let you fire one or more of mine...That way yours can be left Unfired!When you put it away it'll be worth more$.

dmacintyre

Jan 13, 2009
    If you want to shoot it ,when you get it back ,let me know with a Pm and I will give you some .45 LC .But better than that Ill meet you, and let you fire one or more of mine...That way yours can be left Unfired!When you put it away it'll be worth more$.

Very kind of you - we'll definitely hook up when I get it back. I've now got a bit of time to decide whether I want to fire it or not.

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    I though that if the pistol was going from the owner to the factory for repair it could be shipped once it is fixed directly back to the owner?

You are correct, you can receive the firearm directly from the maker or gunsmith.

You can only receive the firearm directly if you shipped it directly....
    If you use an FFL it is considered in the eyes of the law a transfer and thus must go back to the FFL when returned.... No paperwork needed when you get it back from your FFL but it can't go to your home if sent via your FFL.
    Just make sure your FFL won't charge you to accept the firearm with no paperwork needed.

I am running into the same issue trying to send out a gun for refinishing

tic toc tic toc waiting for Novus to chime in

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Shipped yes....mailed no.
    In other words it has to be shipped by contract carrier and it cannot be mailed by using the United States Postal Office.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    You can only receive the firearm directly if you shipped it directly....
    If you use an FFL it is considered in the eyes of the law a transfer and thus must go back to the FFL when returned.... No paperwork needed when you get it back from your FFL but it can't go to your home if sent via your FFL.
    Just make sure your FFL won't charge you to accept the firearm with no paperwork needed.

I am running into the same issue trying to send out a gun for refinishing

tic toc tic toc waiting for Novus to chime in

I believe you are correct.

§ 478.147 Return of firearm.
    A person not otherwise prohibited by
    Federal, State or local law may ship a
    firearm to a licensed importer, licensed
    manufacturer, or licensed dealer for any
    lawful purpose, and, notwithstanding any
    other provision of this part, the licensed
    manufacturer, licensed importer, or licensed
    dealer may return in interstate or
    foreign commerce to that person the firearm
    or a replacement firearm of the same
    kind and type. See § 478.124(a) for requirements
    of a Form 4473 prior to return.

A person not otherwise prohibited by Federal,
    State or local law may ship a firearm
    curio or relic to a licensed collector for any
    lawful purpose, and, notwithstanding any
    other provision of this part, the licensed
    collector may return in interstate or foreign
    commerce to that person the firearm curio
    or relic.
    § 478.124 Firearms transaction record.
    (a) A licensed importer, licensed manufacturer,
    or licensed dealer shall not sell or
    otherwise dispose, temporarily or permanently,
    of any firearm to any person, other
    than another licensee, unless the licensee
    records the transaction on a firearms
    transaction record, Form 4473: Provided,
    That a firearms transaction record, Form
    4473, shall not be required to record the
    disposition made of a firearm delivered to
    a licensee for the sole purpose of repair or
    customizing when such firearm or a replacement
    firearm is returned to the person
    from whom received.

JasonMD85

Aug 16, 2006
    I just went through this a while ago with a cash and carry rifle. USPS won't ship them at all, at least not around here. FEDEx hung up on me when I asked. UPS said they would ship it, BUT:
    They will only ship Cash and Carry (non regulated) rifles/shotguns by someone with no FFL, and you have to take it to a distribution center yourself. Can't schedule a pickup at your house, and can't go to any UPS store.

If it is regulated (like a handgun) an FFL or store has to ship it.

That may not be state law, but that is how the shipping companies operate.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I just went through this a while ago with a cash and carry rifle. USPS won't ship them at all, at least not around here. FEDEx hung up on me when I asked.
    USPS will mail long guns. I even asked about the procedures at the local post office on Friday when I was getting a money order (she was busy and directed me to the websight, but she at least knew there was a process).

What is required to mail a shotgun or other firearm to a family member?

Handguns may be mailed by a licensed manufacturer or dealer of firearms or an authorized agent of federal government.

Although unloaded rifles and shotguns not precluded are mailable, mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, Public Law 90-618, 18 USC 921, et seq., and the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder 26 CFR 178, as well as state and local laws.

For further advice on mailing a specific item, you should contact:

* The nearest office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF)
    * The Mailing Requirements area of your local Post Office facility.
    http://faq.usps.com/eCustomer/iq/usps/request.do?session={8918d850-2774-11de-6f3b-000000000000}&event=1&view()=c{0ed22230-57e2-11dc-51b6-000000000000}&objectId=&eksObjectId=&objectType=Case&isJumpEnabled=false&isContentJumpEnabled=false&vendorKey=&objTitle=&versionId=1941&searchProperties=type:natural&naturalAdvance=false&allStr=&phraseStr=&anyStr=&noneStr=&keywordStr=&tTitle=&topicFromSub=&topicsORSubUrl=&report(0000)=p{ceff8d00-6974-11dd-e6c4-000000000000}&bcobjectId={ceff8d00-6974-11dd-e6c4-000000000000}&search=firearms&topicAndSubtopic=About%20USPS$ALL#Whatisrequiredtomailashotgunorotherfirearmtoafamilymember

UPS said they would ship it, BUT:
    They will only ship Cash and Carry (non regulated) rifles/shotguns by someone with no FFL, and you have to take it to a distribution center yourself. Can't schedule a pickup at your house, and can't go to any UPS store.

If it is regulated (like a handgun) an FFL or store has to ship it.

That may not be state law, but that is how the shipping companies operate.
    The thing is though that for the long gun you don't have to tell them if it is regulated or not, you just have to tell them if it is a firearm in the box from what I understand. You can ship a handgun to yourself accross state lines by fed law by the way.
    I am not a lawyer (of course), but as I understand it, as long as you tell them it is a firearm, it might not matter if it is a handgun or not either because you may have fufilled your requirement of the law. Of course though if it is a small box they will ask if it is a handgun.

JasonMD85

Aug 16, 2006
    USPS will mail long guns. I even asked about the procedures at the local post office on Friday when I was getting a money order (she was busy and directed me to the websight, but she at least knew there was a process).

http://faq.usps.com/eCustomer/iq/usps/request.do?session={8918d850-2774-11de-6f3b-000000000000}&event=1&view()=c{0ed22230-57e2-11dc-51b6-000000000000}&objectId=&eksObjectId=&objectType=Case&isJumpEnabled=false&isContentJumpEnabled=false&vendorKey=&objTitle=&versionId=1941&searchProperties=type:natural&naturalAdvance=false&allStr=&phraseStr=&anyStr=&noneStr=&keywordStr=&tTitle=&topicFromSub=&topicsORSubUrl=&report(0000)=p{ceff8d00-6974-11dd-e6c4-000000000000}&bcobjectId={ceff8d00-6974-11dd-e6c4-000000000000}&search=firearms&topicAndSubtopic=About%20USPS$ALL#Whatisrequiredtomailashotgunorotherfirearmtoafamilymember

The thing is though that for the long gun you don't have to tell them if it is regulated or not, you just have to tell them if it is a firearm in the box from what I understand. You can ship a handgun to yourself accross state lines by fed law by the way.
    I am not a lawyer (of course), but as I understand it, as long as you tell them it is a firearm, it might not matter if it is a handgun or not either because you may have fufilled your requirement of the law. Of course though if it is a small box they will ask if it is a handgun.

While I am sure you are correct Novus, that was just my experience when trying to ship that Henry a few months back. In fact, it was big enough of a PITA that I would probably have a shop do it for me for now on if I have something that needs to go back to the manufacturer.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    While I am sure you are correct Novus, that was just my experience when trying to ship that Henry a few months back. In fact, it was big enough of a PITA that I would probably have a shop do it for me for now on if I have something that needs to go back to the manufacturer.
    I hear ya and feel your pain. :sad20:

I think maybe it is time we started sending in a bunch of complaints to UPS about this so they either alter their policy or better educate their employees. The Fed Ex and UPS policies are just damn annoying.
    By the way, I know Fed Ex ships long guns from FFLs at least because I got two rifles that way once. Maybe we can convince them to take from non FFLs too someday if we bug them enough.

CLIFF566

OLD GUY
    Apr 30, 2008
    AA CO. MD
    Call the Factory in ref to the repairs, I contacted Sig Sauer in ref to a problem and they sent me a prepaid shipping label for UPS, the UPS allows you to ship a firearm back to the factory BUT it must go over night next day delivery $$$, but call first a free label is a good thing
    cliff

JasonMD85

Aug 16, 2006
    Call the Factory in ref to the repairs, I contacted Sig Sauer in ref to a problem and they sent me a prepaid shipping label for UPS, the UPS allows you to ship a firearm back to the factory BUT it must go over night next day delivery $$$, but call first a free label is a good thing
    cliff

That's not technically true. It depends A. On the UPS location B. Where you are and where its going and C. What day it is :lol2:

Seriously though, when I dropped off my Henry in Laurel, MD, to be shipped to Henry in NJ, the guy told me Next Day delivery was not necessary and a waste of money. He did say I had to insure it (obviously) but because MD to NJ is "next day delivery" anyway, I didn't need to waste the extra money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom