• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 6, 2012
    This December, there is a strong chance that I will be going to Wyoming for close to a year. Now, there is a certain VZ58 I would like to order either once I get there, or even right now while I'm still in Maryland. Most likely I will order it in Wyoming so I don't have to tell the company I'm getting it from to give me 2, 10 round mags instead of the typical 30 rounder. Now, if I get it in Maryland, how would I take with me to Wyoming? (I will be flying to Denver and then the driving kicks in) Or, if I get it while I'm in Wyoming, how will I take it with me back to Maryland?

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I'd buy one in Wy once you get there. The sales tax is probably less, and you can get the standard 30 rd magazines. You can declare a firearm to the airline and fly with it in your checked luggage for the return flight (it must be in a locked hard sided case)

If you wanted to you could also ups it to yourself either there or back. See#6 in this guide
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/industry/0501-firearms-top-10-qas.pdf

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    UPS No longer will ship to an unlicensed individual. UPS page:
    Shipping Firearms
    1.gif
    Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms
    Use These UPS Services for Your Firearm Shipment UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) for transportation only (a) between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code), and government agencies and (b) where not otherwise prohibited by federal, state or local law (i) from an individual to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector; and (ii) from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to an individual. The shipper must comply with and must ensure that each shipment complies with all federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient, and package.
    So now you (if an unlicensed individual) have 2 choices

USPS or the airline. UPS has changed their rules and will not ship to an unlicensed individual. Neither will Fed Ex. Another reason to get your FFL 03 C&R license.

Either way you will need a sturdy case like a Pelican or equivalent.

Last edited:

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I thought MD residents could only purchase long guns in DE, PA, VA, and WV? If that's not true, I've been cheating myself for a long time now. :(

that was old language that was an allowance. We were allowed to buy from contiguous states...there was nothing prohibiting us from buying a long gun from non-contiguous states.

A Maryland resident, unless disqualified from owning a firearm under federal or state law, may legally purchase a rifle or shotgun from an FFL-dealer or FFL-pawnbroker in ANY state (unless the local law in the seller's state prohibits this, but most allow it).

Prior to 1986, the federal Gun Control Act allowed such purchases only in contiguous states, and only if the states in question enacted state laws to specifically allow it. The Maryland law, Section 5-204, quoted above, was enacted prior to 1986. It was actually a helpful law -- it did not restrict the rights of Maryland residents, but rather, expanded those rights to the maximum extent then allowed by federal law, with respect to out-of-state purchases of long guns.

In 1986, Congress eliminated the contiguous state requirement. Therefore, a Maryland resident may now purchase a rifle or shotgun from an FFL-dealer/pawnbroker in any state in which state law permits such transactions -- and most do. You can carry it home in your car. Section 5-204 is, therefore, now irrelevant. It is not "trumped" or overridden by federal law -- there simply is no conflict. If you go to an FFL-dealer in Wisconsin and buy a rifle, only federal law and Wisconsin law apply, and both say the transaction is allowed. Besides, Maryland's Section 5-204 never did prohibit anything -- it was a permission, not a prohibition.

At this point, 5-204 is just a useless holdover, with no function at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom