• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    I am not sure where to post this, but I was hoping someone could help me understand where I need to look to answer this question. I want to send a gun back to the manufacturer for some repair work.

What regulations do I need to follow to send it legally?

Since I am not an FFL, do I need to ship through one or can I ship myself?
    If shipping myself, do I need to provide a copy of my driver's license and/or BGE bills and/or passport picture page?

Thanks a lot.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    When I shipped my SR9 back to Ruger, they just sent me a prepaid UPS label. Boxed it myself and dropped it off at UPS. When the work was done, it was shipped back to my house via UPS. Not sure what other manufacturers do but it was pretty simple.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    A handgun can't go through the USPS except if a dealer ships for you.

You can use FedEx or UPS to ship any firearm back to the maker or another gunsmith.

As noted, many makers will send a UPS label and then it is very easy. Just make sure the gun is unloaded please. You might be asked to show your driver's license, but there should be no need for a copy.

Just a note, you can't use a place like a UPS Store or Kinko's to drop the gun off at. You have to visit the nearest depot. This is more the shipper's rules and not law.

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    I shipped a 1987 Taurus Revolver to Taurus in Florida thru Fed Ex. Has to be an overnight delivery....It got to them on a Tuesday and I had the weapon back repaired and in new condition the following Weds.

It was not cheap, like $50 one way to Florida. Taurus paid the return.

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    check with the carrier's website you are using.
    When I have done it in the past I have sent them UPS Next Day Air after making arrangements with the manufacturer.

jvv26

Mar 13, 2011
    baltimore
    I shipped my python back to colt for a timing issue. It went fedex, with insurance, overnight and cost $90. Be prepared to wait. I shipped 7/8/11, colt says I can expect pistol back end of august.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    federal law on notification

Federal law also requires you to declare the firearm to the carrier. No ID on the outside however.

It depends. I have a copy of a letter from the BATF dated May 18, 2001, which says that under the applicable federal statute and regulation, if a firearm is being shipped to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, "it is not required that the shipper be notified of the package contents." The letter adds, "However, an individual shipper has the ability to require such notification if they so desire before accepting a package for shipment."

Unless something has changed since BATF sent that letter, the notification requirement, as a matter of federal law, applies only when a firearm is shipped to someone who does not hold one of the listed federal licenses.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    True but UPS and FED Ex both require it irregardless of where it's going.
    You are correct on the Fed law.

Title 18 USC SS 922
    e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped; except that any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip without violating any of the provisions of this chapter. No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.
    I'm declaring mine. YMMV

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    basspro ships it back for $30. Bring it to them, check an UNLOADED gun at the entrance gate....bring it back to the counter. Assuming the worker knows what they're doing, they'll bring out a work ticket and repair form. They'll record your contact info, the gun make/model/serial and the reason it's being sent back. You pay $30 for shipping and we'll call you when we get it back. You sign a book and write your address in the book and take it with you when you come to pick it up...fairly painless.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    USPS:
    Long rifles: Any method.
    Handguns: Only FFLs(except 03s) can ship.

UPS:
    Handguns: Next Day Air. If you're an FFL, you can ship 2nd Day Air(except 03s).

FedEx:
    Handguns: Next Day Air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom