• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    What are the laws regarding shipping a C&R handgun? I've got one or two I'm thinking about putting up for sale. If I can't sell them locally, I'll have to ship out of state. From the FAQ on Gunbroker, it seems that a 03 FFL still has to ship overnight/next day whereas a 01 FFL can ship cheaper. The last time I priced shipping a handgun overnight it was around $80. That's kind of a turn-off for someone browsing an auction, I know from experience.

I looked through my C&R manual for a few minutes, but the fine print and bureaucratic language had me watching Family Guy within a few minutes. Does anyone know for sure off hand how they have to be shipped?

c33m0n3y

Mar 14, 2010
    Howard County
    Hi LostSoul,

A
    Here are FedEx
    http://www.fedex.com/us/service-guide/terms/express-ground/

and UPS's rules:
    http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html

Looks like they need to go overnight on either service, but you can use the Saver option via UPS.

By law USPS *will not* accept shipments of handguns originating from a C&R FFL.
    "Section 1715. Firearms as nonmailable; regulations Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person are nonmailable and shall not be deposited in or carried by the mail or delivered by any officer or employee of the Postal Service. Such articles may be conveyed in the mail, under such regulations as the Postal Service shall prescribe, for use in connection with their official duty, to officers of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, or Organized Reserve Corps; to officers of the National Guard or militia of a state, territory, commonwealth, possession, or district; to officers of the United States or of a state, territory, or district whose official duty is to serve warrants of arrest or commitments; to employees of the Postal Service; to officers and employees of enforcement agencies of the United States; and to watchmen engaged in guarding the property of the United States, a state, territory, commonwealth, possession, or district. Such articles also may be conveyed in the mail to manufacturers of firearms or bona fide dealers therein in customary trade shipments, including such articles for repairs or replacement of parts, from one to the other, under such regulations as the Postal Service shall prescribe. Whoever knowingly deposits for mailing or delivery, or knowingly causes to be delivered by mail according to the direction thereon, or at any place to which it is directed to be delivered by the person to whom it is addressed, any pistol, revolver, or firearm declared nonmailable by this section, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."
    18 U.S.C. 1715

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    You could take them to an out of state industry partner like NOVA to sell them on consignment if you have some time.

Last edited:

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    There is no LAW that says it must be shipped overnight, but many carriers have their own rules. You cannot ship a handgun (unless you are an 01 or 07 FFL) through USPS.

Mark

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    Thanks guys, I'll probably just hope I can sell locally. There'll be a post in the classifieds once I decide if I'm going to sell, and for how much :thumbsup:

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    OK. I just had an out of state FFL tell me that changes in postal regulations will not let him send a P35 to a C&R via USPS (and that his UPS/FedEx shipping fee would be $100). I knew that a C&R could not send a handgun USPS but I didn't think the reverse was true?

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    OK. I just had an out of state FFL tell me that changes in postal regulations will not let him send a P35 to a C&R via USPS (and that his UPS/FedEx shipping fee would be $100). I knew that a C&R could not send a handgun USPS but I didn't think the reverse was true?

$100 is outragous unless you are shipping a large bazooka.... even via UPS or FedEx Sounds to me like he just doesn't want to ship it to you.... or maybe make up some money he lost on a good deal you might have gotten on that P35 (I assume you are referring to the Browning designed handgun).

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I've been wonder how to figure out these laws. Now that the USPS is contracting out to both UPS and Fedex for moving packages. I just had a C&R shipped to me (a GB deal) via USPS, but it was through UPS. UPS sent me an email saying it was coming and if I paid $3.50 extra, they would keep it in the UPS system and deliver is as much as a day earlier. I sprang for the extra just to make sure the USPS never got it. I feared it might be a violation.

We need a little sticky chart. One with ship from/ship to information.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County

Either he knows something that I don't, he's only got a C&R himself, or he's a Deutsche Waffen /Douche Waffle.

He's not in one of the more northern of the New England states, is he? I don't blame anyone for being squeaky clean when it comes to shipping laws, but if they are in the business, they should know the laws.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom