• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    So I am out in a field in my community, very open very big. Its a community field.

No one is out and I setup some coke bottles to shoot at with my bow.

Some bored housewife comes out on her deck and yells at me something about people playing. Mind you the field was empty besides myself as far as the eye can see.

Gets mad after I ignore her and calls the sherrifs office on me.

I think he really wanted to laugh at the whole thing but was like well you need a back stop...blablabla.

Dumb people.

On a cool note, I have gotten to the point where I group my arrows so close I broke my first arrow by shooting it.

Forgot to mention whe he came to my door explaining why he was there, he said I wasnt in trouble. My response was of course Im not

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Good shooting!

You're an adult and I'm sure you knew where the arrows were going.

Were you wearing full camo with a Don't Tread on Me flag hoisted nearby?
    When she came out, did you yell "Wolverines!"?

MDNavyVet

Mar 25, 2013
    PG County
    I had a similar incident back in the 90's in California when I shot once at a large group of vultures (about ten) sitting in a tree in my back yard with my 25 FPS BB pistol. One shot into the tree was all it took to scare them off. They had been eyeballing my kids who were playing in the back yard.

My neighbor's Mother who lived at home called the police on me. I showed the Officer who responded my pellet pistol and he laughed knowing it as not capable of killing a vulture. However, he informed me that it was a felony to kill a vulture as they were endangered species and protected by law. He said, the woman who called them was known for calling them all the time for a variety of issues as she appeared to have nothing else better to do.

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    Glad to hear it turned out well for you at least. Heck if it were me* I'd send out a few politely worded letters to the neighbors (including the one who called) explaining the legality of archery in the area under state and county law followed by a mention of Criminal Law 9-501 and 9-503

*I admit I take particular offense to people that waste law enforcement's time with frivolous calls and am not above intimidation tactics.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Putting up a containment system (aka back stop).

It takes the wind out of the sails of the LEOs who are called out to take a look. Then it is a possibility the nosy neighbor will get a telephone misuse charge. :)

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Call the Frederick County Health Department to report the rats in her yard. You may also want to mention the unusual chemical smells emanating from her basement.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Years ago I had permission to practice Archery in my mother-n-laws back yard. I also talked to both neighbors and they where OK with me back there shooting arrows. There was a county right away I was shooting in so I wanted everyone's ok.

One day the President and the board of the Community Association paid me a visit. They told me that I should not be shooting the 3d targets and that I should be shooting the foxes.

I just about lost it with them.

I asked if they were stupid or just dumb, for behind the house across the street backed up to a shopping center with several restaurants.

I asked them why do you think we don't have a rat problem? This was very close to Baltimore City after all.

They looked puzzled and confused.

I informed them that the agreement I had with the property owners was that I not shoot at anything that was alive.

Then I educated them about the food chain and that the foxes kept everything in balance.

Here's your sign

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom