• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Because they are ready to fall off easily at this time of year?
    Thats right, no guarantee that will happen though or thats always the case.
    But if you know where they bed, I think its a higher probability to spot some where they frequent.
    One time, I saw a buck run across a field where some guys went into the back.
    It came across the road and turned it on when it realized I had slowed to watch them run out.
    Anyway it tried to make this ditch, fell short and made a hard landing right at the far side of the ditch.
    One of its horns flew right off when it landed.
    I put it in park, walked over and picked it right up. The other one was still on its head as it continued to run off, talk about luck.
    Anyway, that's when I started to make an effort to jump them. This time of year they're not as wary and will allow you to get closer I think. When they do take off it may be more abrupt. Especially in heavier cover with a lot of undergrowth.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Thats right, no guarantee that will happen though or thats always the case.
    But if you know where they bed, I think its a higher probability to spot some where they frequent.
    One time, I saw a buck run across a field where some guys went into the back.
    It came across the road and turned it on when it realized I had slowed to watch them run out.
    Anyway it tried to make this ditch, fell short and made a hard landing right at the far side of the ditch.
    One of its horns flew right off when it landed.
    I put it in park, walked over and picked it right up. The other one was still on its head as it continued to run off, talk about luck.
    Anyway, that's when I started to make an effort to jump them. This time of year they're not as wary and will allow you to get closer I think. When they do take off it may be more abrupt. Especially in heavier cover with a lot of undergrowth.
    Thanks,

I wish I actually knew where they bed. It might have been easier to take a buck during daylight hours. Many days I could sit in my stand and many cold hours would pass before I would see deer close enough for rifle shots, or near enough for bow. I know my stand is in a decent spot since some deer come right under my stand to get captured on cam. But, the one DAY when I saw Mr Buck, he was off behind me a ways and heading into the thick stuff in transit. If memory serves me, this was in bow season so too far to take him.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I didn't find any sheds, but I did find a couple of deer lower legs. Pretty sure that's on me and tossing them into the woods after butchering. They were a good 100yds from where I'd tossed them.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've always done the best out in open green wheat fields(before the wheat gets too tall). I use binos to cut down on walking.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    My doggo is down (MCL tear recovery) this spring, so if I go out, it will be solo. Makes it much less fun, but still nice to get out.

GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    I was gonna look this weekend, but still getting a decent amount of bucks with atleast 1 side yet. Guess I'll wait another week or 2 yet.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    As 44 Bulldog mentioned, it's a good idea to check spots where deer will have to jump or step down, thus jolting their head and possibly knocking a loose antler off. I usually have the best luck walking creek beds and looking carefully where they frequently cross. Same thing for fences where they often jump over and fields with winter crops where they are frequently bending down to eat. I got several bucks on camera last week in Fairfax County with antlers still attached, and saw one this morning walking, so I'm not looking just yet. It's also possible to train any dog that is motivated to seek and retrieve to purposely find antlers. I'm will be working on that myself this spring!

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    This guy is still carrying one side as of 10 days ago.

STC_1036.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom