• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Stags are dropping them like rocks.
    Good days haul here!
    And ya'all dont forget to check in your dead heads!

Attachments

• IMG_1281.jpg
      IMG_1281.jpg
      238.6 KB · Views: 139
    • Capture.PNG
      Capture.PNG
      57.5 KB · Views: 142

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My knees are finally not killing me this year. I'm eager to hit the fields.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    My daughter found these somewhere around Centreville last week.

Attachments

• E6B69AD3-4E98-46F2-88F4-D590F14498D1.jpeg
      E6B69AD3-4E98-46F2-88F4-D590F14498D1.jpeg
      507.8 KB · Views: 80

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I think I' going to head out tomorrow. It's a bit early, but I need woods time.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Walked for like 4 hrs last week and found nothin, trail cam pick this past Wed showed a 6 point still sporting his
    I normally don't expect to find anything until the first two wees of April. That's when the majority will have been cast.

sheds2.jpg

Last edited:

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    For a novice, HOW do you guys find these?

I have enough trouble finding the antlers when they are attached to the LIVE BUCK, let alone find em when the same bucks shed em.

PS. I must suck.
    No you dont. Its like shooting a recurve bow bow or hitting a golf ball or keeping shot gun moving through a flying target.
    Once you spot a few it'll come to you.
    Slow way way down. Way, way down when your moving about.
    Its about understanding your environment and personal space in the universe and understanding how natures clock is not part of your internal clock mechanism for how we begin to appreciate what bounty should be freely provided to us.
    + A good set of go a-heads on your feet and good places to hunt for them are a bonus. Not to mention some decent binos.
    If you go with a partner, let them spot them first. Or have a throw down to build confidence, see/ provide a smile to someone else's face.
    I believe the things we seek are all around us. We just need to understand how to look for them and humble ourselves when the opportunity arises. Take our blinders off.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    My good live deer hunting spots of course are always tricky.

Nocturnal deer, plus some pressure of nearby hunters on neighboring properties on either side of the woods I hunt during the season.
    This is not saying I haven't seen bucks in daytime, but knowing they are in there and having any clue how to find the shed antlers is another ball of wax for me.

Let's say I know of at least 3-5 bucks I either saw personally, or saw on my game cam, where do I go from there at shed time? These deer are in 3-4 different zones within my one hunting property and they are totally separate plots. One is a island of woods, One a long but L shaped bean/corn field with woods to the short L end and a long brushy ditch on the long L side of the field, the woods at the bottom of that field is where I have seen the largest buck. The other is a separate field at one end of those same woods. Do I look on areas I think they will bed, or do I look along what I see as trails they travel, or where I see rubs and scrapes? How do I know the most likely shed places to aim for?

Last edited:

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    My good live deer hunting spots of course are always tricky.

Nocturnal deer, plus some pressure of nearby hunters on neighboring properties on either side of the woods I hunt during the season.
    This is not saying I haven't seen bucks in daytime, but knowing they are in there and having any clue how to find the shed antlers is another ball of wax for me.

Let's say I know of at least 3-5 bucks I either saw personally, or saw on my game cam, where do I go from there at shed time? These deer are in 3-4 different zones within my one hunting property and they are totally separate plots. One is a island of woods, One a long but L shaped bean/corn field with woods to the short L end and a long brushy ditch on the long L side of the field, the woods at the bottom of that field is where I have seen the largest buck. The other is a separate field at one end of those same woods. Do I look on areas I think they will bed, or do I look along what I see as trails they travel, or where I see rubs and scrapes? How do I know the most likely shed places to aim for?
    If you know where they're bedding, go in there and jump them up so they throw one off when they flee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom