• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yes, I know bayonets are supposed to be rather dull. But I've got a pair of AK bayonets, and I'd like to have some sort of use for them (being that I can't put them on an AK I don't have!). So, how do I sharpen these bad boys?

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    Plan on using a coarse stone. Mine was so dull when I got it that it probably couldn't have cut a peeled banana w/o mashing the poor thing flat. My hard Arkansas stone and ceramic sticks wouldn't even touch the dullness until I'd first used a softer(hardness), rougher(less fine) stone on it I normally reserve for re-pointing fish hooks.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    If they are a type one poly bayo and u sharpen it prepare to lose money othwe than that just like a normal knife I would assume

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Bench grinder to get it started, keep it moving and don't burn a notch into it. Once you have something resembling a blade, switch to a standard stone and go by hand.

Swagtimecharles

I'm all out of gum.
    Sep 30, 2011
    Upper Marlboro
    Depending on your time restraints, Spyderco makes a set of sharpening atones that are pretty hefty and geared towards larger blades. Are sharpening them from completely dull, or do the have some sort of edge?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    They are completely dull. I demonstrated this to my wife just now by yanking one out of the scabbard and running it across my arm. She was less than amused for some reason.

Also, these are the el cheapo bayonets that J&G was selling for $3 each on Black Friday, so I'm pretty sure the world isn't losing much if I screw 'em up.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    $3?! Even common Romanian bayos are worth more than that. Pics...?

I'm curious what you actually bought. Even the used AK bayos that have passed through my hands are sharp enough to cut paper.

straightsilver3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 2, 2011
    everywhere
    I bought one from K Var Bulgy circle 10 very dull I posted the same question one month ago best answer I got was maybe not suppose to be sharp come on

101combatvet

BANNED!!!
    Dec 7, 2011
    I think you might be better off just buying a real knife. Bayonets are not made to be sharpen.... it is a thrusting weapon. The point does the damage not the edge... of course a little weight behind the bayonet helps it to penetrate better.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    J&G Sales had it as a "Romanian AK-47 bayonet", and they apparently went for $2 a piece. I threw a couple of them in with my SKS order for lolz. They are hilarious in the sense that they are big scary knives, but my 50 cent "Maxam" folder had way more of an edge to it, which struck me as weird.

As for buying an AK, I'm working on a Galil... but that's a different bayonet, I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom