• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    there is just something about opening a door and seeing a room full of guns that you own. It could bring a tear to my eye every time I see them. Not to mention the amount of "whoa"s you hear when you show off your collection.

armedsks

Feb 27, 2007
    Sharpsburg, MD
    I started out buying firearms that shot Nato & Eastern-Bloc calibers. Then i started getting into the US Rifles (30-06). Then i got a few hunting rifles (smorgas board or calibers). I got rid of my 2 1911's once i shot the combat tupperware(glock). I have a G31 and G36.

I think i have more $ invested in ammo than i do rifles.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    I'm all for diversity (w/in reason). Currently, I have the following:

.38 Special/.357 Magnum (my S&W revolver shoots both)
    9mm
    .45 ACP
    .380 Auto
    .22 lr
    .223/5.56

I'm considering getting something in a .40 and possibly in 7.62X39 and some sort of shotgun...

Jamie

snavematt

say what?
    May 19, 2009
    Stafford, VA as of 5/7/13
    i have .40, .45, .22 and 357/38 in my handguns
    Rifles, .223, 7.62x39, 308, 22, 9mm
    Shotgun 410 and 12 guage
    diversity is good, but too much may hurt you, I have thousands of rounds for most, the best is that I can choose something different when I shoot

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Diversity is good, besides having different calibers. I try to have a mix of rifles of the same caliber as my pistols.

Although I have a couple of odd-ball calibers that are hard to find mates for. Yes, firearms to get lonely also. ;)

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    There's only One..err Two that matter.

There's only One..err Two that matter.

45ACP...nuff said
    .22 for practice

Up here you're not going to accomplish much against the bear thats knocking on your barn door with a 9.

Seriously though.

.22 is probably your most versatile round....rifle/pistol its doesn't matter....and the price is right.

Beyond that what else do you really need? A couple of .30 cal rifle rounds and maybe 556 for a black rifle if you're into that.

Throw in a couple of different rounds for C&R's and you're G2G

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    If you get a SIG in .40 then all you need to do is buy a 9mm conversion barrel and a 357 barrel and you have 3 guns in one! there problem solved....
    What Model(s) SIG would accomplish using the conversion barrels? Approx. how much does the conversion barrel cost? I know you said, .40, but what models?
    Thanks.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    I started out buying firearms that shot Nato & Eastern-Bloc calibers. Then i started getting into the US Rifles (30-06). Then i got a few hunting rifles (smorgas board or calibers). I got rid of my 2 1911's once i shot the combat tupperware(glock). I have a G31 and G36.

I think i have more $ invested in ammo than i do rifles.
    I know that I asked this question earlier, but does anyone remember seeing the two (or more) pictures showing heavy ammo storage in a closet. I thought it was neat to look at, but I can't remember what thread it was on. I looked, but can't find; it was in the last couple of days that I saw it.
    Thanks for help.

piste

Aug 27, 2008
    I also diversify manufacturers.....just because...I guess. I have Smiths, Rugers, Kimber, Remington. Springfield Armory, CZ, then there's all the milsurps too....all at the bottom of a lake of course....

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    it depends on if you plan to stockpile ammo or not.

If you stockpile ammo then I would say stick to a couple calibers usually the cheaper more available ones (.22, 9mm, 7.62x39, 12ga)

if you don't plan to stockpile then having the ability to grab just about any box off the shelf and have a gun that can use it would be pretty handy.

piste

Aug 27, 2008
    it depends on if you plan to stockpile ammo or not.

If you stockpile ammo then I would say stick to a couple calibers usually the cheaper more available ones (.22, 9mm, 7.62x39, 12ga)

if you don't plan to stockpile then having the ability to grab just about any box off the shelf and have a gun that can use it would be pretty handy.

Please explain the basis for limiting calibers if one is going to stockpile...thx.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    Please explain the basis for limiting calibers if one is going to stockpile...thx.

The greater the variety of calibers, the more you have to stockpile.

If you only shoot 3 different calibers, then you only need a couple K rnds of 3 different types of ammo.

If you shoot 5-6 different caliber weapons, that's 5-6 different caliber ammo to keep on hand. It can get expensive...:innocent0

Jamie, currently shooting .223/5/56, 22 lr, .45 Auto, 9mm, .380 Auto and 38 sp/.357 magnum...

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD

I think he means that if you are going to keep lots of ammo at home it is easier to get meaningful quantities if you just keep a few key calibers. If you are not going to load up, it is easier if you have weapons in enough different calibers that you can shoot whatever caliber a store happens to have in stock that day.

That's the way I read it, anyhow.

piste

Aug 27, 2008
    The greater the variety of calibers, the more you have to stockpile.

If you only shoot 3 different calibers, then you only need a couple K rnds of 3 different types of ammo.

If you shoot 5-6 different caliber weapons, that's 5-6 different caliber ammo to keep on hand. It can get expensive...:innocent0

Jamie, currently shooting .223/5/56, 22 lr, .45 Auto, 9mm, .380 Auto and 38 sp/.357 magnum...

Meh...the more the merrier I say. The more calibers...the more I get to stockpile!! One of the big reasons we stockpile is for a time when paper money may be worthless....ammo won't be. muah muahhhhhhh....

Jarhead FLSTI

Aug 31, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I believe in diversity. For handguns I keep .22LR, 9mm, .40, 10mm, .44mag, .45ACP, .45LC, .454. For rifles I keep .22LR, .223/5.56, .40, 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, 8mm.

Everyone else should just stick to .357 and .308 so I won't have to hunt for ammo.

piste

Aug 27, 2008
    I believe in diversity. For handguns I keep .22LR, 9mm, .40, 10mm, .44mag, .45ACP, .45LC, .454. For rifles I keep .22LR, .223/5.56, .40, 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, 8mm.

Everyone else should just stick to .357 and .308 so I won't have to hunt for ammo.

That's my caliber portfolio almost exactly....with only one or two differences...

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

Pretty close, to my list. Don't forget Rifle ammunition that can be fired from a handgun ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom