• both

Votes: 53 37.6%
    • I dont carry a knife

Votes: 4 2.8%

• Total voters

mdshooterguy2820

Aug 26, 2011
    Joppa, MD
    My EDC is a Leatherman Surge. Has both types of blades in it, plus all the other goodies. I have to deal with security a lot with work and I'm allowed to have my leatherman in the white house, but I've seen people's pen knives get taken away going through security. I guess they consider it more of a tool than a knife which is fine for me.

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    I never liked serrations on my pocket knife. Wasted space IMO. I'd rather carry a smaller knife that is all straight blade. They're a lot easier to sharpen as well.

SVrider

Nov 22, 2008
    St.Louis
    I used to only use the 30/70 blades but found when trying to make clean cuts a straight blade is useful and also when shaving or cutting at an angle. The serrated blades take away useful area on the blade that can be helpful when cutting back an outer layer or sheathing on wire. Agreed that both serve a purpose in different situations. My current is a straight blade Kershaw assist. But for making fast cut, like rope, serrations would help.

ThisGuy918

Nov 11, 2011
    I will be the first to say neither. I don't carry a knife. While growing up and in the navy I carried what ever I had or could get away with. In my current profession and day to day life I really don't need to carry one. I probably should but just haven't gotten back into the habit.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I will be the first to say neither. I don't carry a knife. While growing up and in the navy I carried what ever I had or could get away with. In my current profession and day to day life I really don't need to carry one. I probably should but just haven't gotten back into the habit.

I don't need one either, and when I need a knife I usually grab a box cutter. I just like to know it's there though if I did, kind of reassuring.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I carry a plain edge Buck Vantage for regular cutting tasks and with a zip tie on the thumb hole it opens by catching my pocket as I pull it out(poor man's "wave" blade).
    Since most Marylanders can't legally carry a gun but can legally carry a big folding knife, I also like to carry the fully serrated old style Cold Steel Voyager X2.
    It's big, thin, strong, fast, and perfect for all my pockets. Since I only have it "just in case" there's no need to ever sharpen it and it's shaving sharp out of the box. Those serrations are VERY dangerous.
    Cold Steel also makes many other large folding knives that IMO are some of the strongest large folding knives made and affordable too since most are imported.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-ctBimpelc
    SOG also makes some nice big ones right here in the US.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Always grew up carrying a pocket knife. One of those Dad lessons. Everything from a swiss army knife to a larger single blade folder. I ALWAYS have a small gerber mutlitool. Got a blade and some other tools but also unfolds into some small pliers. Great for fixing things on the go.

I can't really carry anything, as I am a teacher, at work but when I am out and about I have a SOG twitch. I f I have something bigger its a Kershaw blur or a gerber about the same size a friend just gave me. The bigger blades are combo blades, the smaller ones are straight edge.

TD

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    I carry a plain edge Buck Vantage for regular cutting tasks and with a zip tie on the thumb hole it opens by catching my pocket as I pull it out(poor man's "wave" blade).
    Since most Marylanders can't legally carry a gun but can legally carry a big folding knife, I also like to carry the fully serrated old style Cold Steel Voyager X2.
    It's big, thin, strong, fast, and perfect for all my pockets. Since I only have it "just in case" there's no need to ever sharpen it and it's shaving sharp out of the box. Those serrations are VERY dangerous.
    Cold Steel also makes many other large folding knives that IMO are some of the strongest large folding knives made and affordable too since most are imported.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-ctBimpelc
    SOG also makes some nice big ones right here in the US.

now thats video I might look into a cold steel
    Thanks

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    buck vantage pro, spdyderco centofante, sog spec elite, benchmade bone collector axis. All straight edge and all extremely sharp. While serrations may be "better" for cutting rope, i've never had an issue with the straight edge knives i've had slicing through anything. They're easier to maintain an edge and sharpen. If it's not a steak knife that's going to have the contacting edge mashed by the plate(reason the serrations are there, to let the tips take the abuse and keep the remaining edge sharp), I just find a straight edge better(for me).

bluedog46

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2011
    Are shuriken legal in MD ( chinese stars)? I think I would have a couple of them since you cant carry a gun unless connected or at least a couple throwing knives.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Are shuriken legal in MD ( chinese stars)? I think I would have a couple of them since you cant carry a gun unless connected or at least a couple throwing knives.

I would imagine they are illegal. The throwing knives are illegal to carry too, as they have no purpose other than being a weapon.

Glaug-Eldare

BANNED!!!
    Jan 17, 2011
    I like my Leatherman Wave, since it's got both. I don't think I've gone outside without it since I bought it, except for a handful of times where I had to go through security. On that note, I wish there were lockers for rent in the lobbies of courthouses. Security was very adamant about not holding it for me.

If I had to pick one, it'd definitely be serrated. It's easy to sharpen straights, but I'm more likely to wind up in a situation where I need to instantly cut through fibers than one that calls for straight-edge precision. Besides that, I've got zero interest in knife-fighting, and wouldn't attempt it except in the most dire circumstances.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County

Maryland criminal law §4–101(a)
    (4) “Star knife” means a device used as a throwing weapon, consisting of several sharp or pointed blades arrayed as radially disposed arms about a central disk.
    (5) (i) “Weapon” includes a dirk knife, bowie knife, switchblade knife, star knife, sandclub, metal knuckles, razor, and nunchaku
    §4–101(c)
    (1) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon of any kind concealed on or about the person.

So, definitely cannot carry shuriken out of sight. Based on other threads I've read in the forums (http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=1278) it seems that §4–101(c) can be interpreted to mean 'You may not carry dangerous weapons concealed' rather than 'A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon of any kind concealed' and 'A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon of any kind about the person'. So, to what degree you could have a pouch of shuriken openly carried I am not certain. There are more knowledgable and experience persons than I who could speak about this.

I suppose that a concern even for open carry of shuriken would be intent. Unlike other knives that can be ascribed legal uses (camping/hunting/fishing), shuriken are more limited in application. It would seem that you could not claim open carry of shuriken without prior court permission.

§4–101(c)
    (2) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon, chemical mace, pepper mace, or a tear gas device openly with the intent or purpose of injuring an individual in an unlawful manner.
    §4–101(b) This section does not prohibit the following individuals from carrying a weapon:
    (4) an individual who carries the weapon as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger, subject to the right of the court in an action arising under this section to judge the reasonableness of the carrying of the weapon, and the proper occasion for carrying it, under the evidence in the case.

MG4DEUCE

The Otter
    Jun 28, 2010
    Annapolis
    Knives are like guns. While some can serve a variety of purposes, some are specialized for certain tasks. I personally prefer straight edges. A few of my knives are 70/30. I used to be a automotive tech and occasionally used the serrated portion of the 70/30 knives for stripping wiring on small jobs. Ive been a professional Firefighter in DC for the last 5 years. We had this conversation at work and tested it on seat belts and rope. Turns out a quality straight edge will cut both just as quick as a quality serrated edge. If the knife was poorly maintained the serrated had a performance edge. However I don't really have a need for cutting rope or belts on a daily basis. My purposes are 50/50 split between general utility and self-defense.

I have owned plenty of knives from all the major manufacturers(Cold Steel, Bechmade, CRKT, Spyderco, Ontario, Buck, Case, Kershaw, ect. ect.). Zero Tolerance Knives have become my go to knives. I can't say enough good about them. They aren't for everyone. But if you want a medium to large size, high quality heavy duty knife, take a close look. Outstanding quality, craftsmanship, materials and warranty for the money. I have several ZT models. My 0200 has taken several merciless beatings and came through like a champ.

mr phil

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2007
    beach
    I have always carried a knife. When I was younger I always carried a Buck straight blade. Now I have carried a Kershaw combo blade for years. Takes care of anything. Kershaw...... Guaranteed for life. If it breaks they fix or replace it.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Drnknmnky13

Nov 12, 2011
    Baltimore
    I prefer a straight edge for ease of sharpening. Fr my EDC I have a leatherman Skeletool. It has a blade, pliers, bottle opener, and a combo driver. I find 99% of the time that's all I use on my larger leathermans.

OpenCloseBlade.jpg

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    I carry a straight edge AFO2 Benchmade, and take time to maintain a razor edge on it. In my experience a sharp straight edge will do anything I need it to quickly. Serrated edges seem to hang up on certain loose materials, and I would be afraid that in an emergency that could be a problem. It is all a matter of preference, and i prefer straight edge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom